PDA

View Full Version : Out on the Tancredo Watch

gabosaurus
08-15-2007, 12:08 AM
Now I realize why Tancredo is the only American politician on an Arab hit list. He will be lucky to last out the year.

A blog by a constituent of Congressman Tom Tancredo: Colorado's Sixth Congressional District Congressman-for-Life - and Futile Presidential Candidate

Monday, August 13, 2007
They all look alike to Tom

It seems sad and pathetic for Americans to have to be debating whether a presidential candidate's plan to bomb holy sites in reprisal for a terrorist attack is a good idea. Have we really become so immoral and cowardly?

But let's leave aside the moral issue. Let's assume that we are willing to sink to the terrorists' level in pursuit of a "Secure America." Would the goal behind the plan - ostensibly to deter another terrorist attack - even work?

No: any serious threat to destroy Mecca and Medina in order to deter a terrorist attack would be a miserable failure, according to this thoughtful piece in CounterPunch. In particular:

... Tancredo and those who share his view erroneously believe that al-Qaeda holds these cities in the same high esteem as the rest of Muslims do. They might be surprised to learn, for example, that the ultra-puritanical Wahabi sect to which al-Qaeda belongs actually finds the Prophet Muhammad's grave in Medina, attracting millions of Muslim pilgrims worldwide, an affront. This because they regard visiting the graves of holy personages akin to idolatry and polytheism. Incredibly, Wahabis attempted to destroy the Prophet's grave themselves as recently as the early part of the 20th century.

But don't bother Tancredo with such niceties such as "Who are we really fighting anyway." For Tancredo and his supporters, all Muslims look alike.

As usual, local Denver columnist Mike Littwin has Tancredo's "bomb Mecca" policy pegged for exatly what it is: irresponsible showboating from a man who is not a serious, responsible politician:

There used to be some kind of line that even Tancredo wouldn't cross. When he made his original comment about bombing Mecca, he said it was just a hypothetical - and implied we shouldn't take it too seriously. But this time, Tancredo was ready to make it the linchpin of his foreign policy. He threw in Medina for good measure - while explaining how the threat to bomb holy sites would deter the kinds of people who flew the planes on 9/11. He didn't mention what it might mean to the other 1 billion-plus nonterrorist Muslims.

As I've noted before, Tancredo is not a serious man. But I don't expect him to be. It's the 14 percent that worries me.

It's the 14 percent who said, "Oh, he wants to bomb Mecca. Let's vote to put this guy's finger on the nuclear button."

Black Lance
08-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Note the fallacy in this article: the author attempts to prove a generalization (Al-Qaeda doesn't care if we blow up Muslim holy sites) using only a very specific and narrow example (Wahhabis tried to destroy the grave site of Muhammad).

I'm not sure what Tancredo means by his statements on this subject- if he is really in earnest, or if he is just proposing this idea as a bluff meant to compel the Arab world to reel in Islamic terrorism - but the author of this article hasn't provided us with nearly enough evidence to support his conclusion.

lieberalism
08-15-2007, 02:24 AM
oh boo hoo the other "non extremist muslims" would get upset.

the point is that none of these muslims, radical or otherwise, are making a strong effort to stop terrorism. where are the leaders of islam denouncing osama? unless they are actively trying to stop radical islam, they are part of the problem.

5stringJeff
08-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Gabby, post a link please.

red states rule
08-15-2007, 05:39 AM
Note the fallacy in this article: the author attempts to prove a generalization (Al-Qaeda doesn't care if we blow up Muslim holy sites) using only a very specific and narrow example (Wahhabis tried to destroy the grave site of Muhammad).

I'm not sure what Tancredo means by his statements on this subject- if he is really in earnest, or if he is just proposing this idea as a bluff meant to compel the Arab world to reel in Islamic terrorism - but the author of this article hasn't provided us with nearly enough evidence to support his conclusion.

He was making it very clear that if the US is hit by nukes from Muslims - the US would take out Mecca as a response

I agree with him

He will not be President but I would consider him for Sec of Defense

Pale Rider
08-15-2007, 10:33 AM
He will not be President but I would consider him for Sec of Defense

As well as he did in Iowa, I don't think anybody can say that for sure.

And if he's ready to bomb mosques, that's just one more reason I WOULD vote for him.

Sometimes to take out a pack of rats, you have to take out the nest.

gabosaurus
08-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Whatever your feelings on Tancredo, you need to realize that he is unelectable. The GOP is not going to nominate a candidate who has no chance of winning the general election.
Consider that Tancredo would get:
ZERO percent of the minority/ethnic vote.
ZERO percent of the non-conservative vote.
That is a pretty large chunk of the American populace.

Tancredo is putting himself at risk merely by running. If he makes it makes the first few primaries, I believe Tancredo could be the successor to Robert Kennedy.

red states rule
08-15-2007, 11:48 AM

And if he's ready to bomb mosques, that's just one more reason I WOULD vote for him.

The same way you take out a nest of cockroaches

Pale Rider
08-16-2007, 04:28 AM
Whatever your feelings on Tancredo, you need to realize that he is unelectable. The GOP is not going to nominate a candidate who has no chance of winning the general election.

Tancredo is putting himself at risk merely by running. If he makes it makes the first few primaries, I believe Tancredo could be the successor to Robert Kennedy.

You're wishing in one hand and shitting in the other.

He just could be the next President. Nor you or I have any way of knowing this early. It's my opinion, and your opinion, nothing more.

red states rule
08-16-2007, 06:13 AM

Libs are willing to out Hillary up - and with her high negs and a majority saying they will NOT vote for her - why are Dems going to nominate her?

We need a President willing to turn the full force of the US military loose and stop trying to fight and win a PC war