PDA

View Full Version : Brand-new US Navy warship

Bilgerat
01-22-2018, 10:57 AM
http://a57.foxnews.com/images.foxnews.com/content/fox-news/us/2018/01/22/brand-new-us-navy-warship-trapped-in-canada-amid-cold-and-ice/_jcr_content/par/featured_image/media-0.img.jpg/931/524/1516615157540.jpg?ve=1&tl=1&text=big-top-image

And it's trapped in the ice!

The USS Little Rock – unveiled in a ceremony on Dec. 16 in Buffalo, New York and attended by nearly 9,000 people – has not moved far since due to adverse weather conditions that kept the warship trapped at bay in Canada.

It cost $440 million to build and stretches 387 feet in length and weighs 15 tons more than the Statue of Liberty. It is capable of traveling more than 46 miles per hour.

Except, near record low temps have closed the waterways. This vessel ain't going nowhere.

So our brave folks will weather the winter in Montreal. Cold weather gear will be provided to the crew.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/22/brand-new-us-navy-warship-trapped-in-canada-amid-cold-and-ice.html

Gunny
01-22-2018, 11:01 AM
Call me old, nostalgic, or whatever, but my BIGGEST gripe about the new ships is there are no port n starboard rails. They were always a place to get outside the skin of the ship and get the Hell away from everyone for a few.

Otherwise, looks pretty badass :)

aboutime
01-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Call me old, nostalgic, or whatever, but my BIGGEST gripe about the new ships is there are no port n starboard rails. They were always a place to get outside the skin of the ship and get the Hell away from everyone for a few.

I would miss that too Gunny. But the new ships are designed in the Stealth Mode to prevent a radar signature that shows their real size. Notice NO RIGHT ANGLES anywhere on the open decks. And if there are any. They are easily hidden. Those ships might as well be Submarine service if the crew is unable to go outside. By the way. I am just as nostalgic. The New Navy isn't something I would want to be part of anymore. Even the sailors are wearing Jump suit uniforms. In my opinion. A safety threat to fire...and falling overboard.

Elessar
01-22-2018, 03:30 PM

Agreed! Best way to avoid seasickness the first 48 hours was to stay out on the weatherdecks and watch the horizon.
I was lucky enough to be able to stay on the bridge wings as a BMOW. Engineers had it rough being down in the pit.

Gunny
01-22-2018, 03:40 PM
Agreed! Best way to avoid seasickness the first 48 hours was to stay out on the weatherdecks and watch the horizon.
I was lucky enough to be able to stay on the bridge wings as a BMOW. Engineers had it rough being down in the pit.I was more thinking it was a convenient place to drape my green in the face troops AFTER the fact.:laugh:

Bilgerat
01-22-2018, 04:36 PM
I was lucky enough to be able to stay on the bridge wings as a BMOW. Engineers had it rough being down in the pit.

Pfffft. You get right down there next to the keelson and you don't hardly move at all :laugh2:

Elessar
01-22-2018, 05:11 PM
Pfffft. You get right down there next to the keelson and you don't hardly move at all :laugh2:

The heat initially made a lot of snipes sick the first couple of days until they acclimated ( on a 210).

Told the deckies to stay out on the weatherdecks, and not go bundle up in their racks which made it worse.

Bilgerat
01-22-2018, 05:39 PM
The heat initially made a lot of snipes sick the first couple of days until they acclimated ( on a 210).

Told the deckies to stay out on the weatherdecks, and not go bundle up in their racks which made it worse.

And the exhaust used to go thru the DC Shop and out the stern until they were redone.

Talked to many a 210 DC type, said it was unbearable there while U/W

Elessar
01-22-2018, 06:02 PM
And the exhaust used to go thru the DC Shop and out the stern until they were redone.

Talked to many a 210 DC type, said it was unbearable there while U/W

Even our tough DC1 said it was unbearable the first couple of days.