PDA

View Full Version : Senate Passes Spending Bill To Reopen Gov’t

Gunny
01-22-2018, 04:12 PM
UPDATED 9:57 AM PT — January 22, 2018The Senate passed a spending bill ending a weekend-long government shutdown.
The three week-spending bill was passed Monday, and is set to expire on February 8th.

The idea behind it is that it will give Republicans and Democrats time to reach an agreement on immigration, which would likely include some kind of fix for DACA.
The bill now goes back to the House of Representatives for another vote where House Speaker Paul Ryan maintains the bill will pass.
President Trump is expected to speak on the spending bill sometime Monday.
The president previously slammed Democrats for shutting down the government, accusing them of putting illegal immigrant lives ahead of U.S. citizens.
In a series of tweets Monday, the president said “Democrats are turning down services and security for citizens in favor of services and security for non-citizens.” He said Democrats shutdown the government in favor of their far-left base, but are powerless to do it.
http://www.oann.com/senate-passes-spending-bill-to-reopen-govt/

Now we can wait until Feb 8th to see what happens:rolleyes:

Bilgerat
01-22-2018, 04:32 PM
The #Schumershutdown (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/schumershutdown?source=feed_text&story_id=10156442742503455) went out with a whimper, not a bang.

This leads me to believe in the possibilities of these things;

1) The polling of the #Schumershutdown was looking VERY bad for the Democrats. Especially in areas where the might be running for re-election.

2) It was nothing more than a political stunt, timed for the Presidential election anniversary and the Women's March to make the President look bad.

I admit to happily watching the rabid left on CNN and MSNBC feeding on each other voraciously.

In any case, what has been done cannot be undone, and hopefully this debacle will be remembered during the next election.

Gunny
01-22-2018, 04:55 PM
The #Schumershutdown (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/schumershutdown?source=feed_text&story_id=10156442742503455) went out with a whimper, not a bang.

1) The polling of the #Schumershutdown was looking VERY bad for the Democrats. Especially in areas where the might be running for re-election.

2) It was nothing more than a political stunt, timed for the Presidential election anniversary and the Women's March to make the President look bad.

I admit to happily watching the rabid left on CNN and MSNBC feeding on each other voraciously.

In any case, what has been done cannot be undone, and hopefully this debacle will be remembered during the next election.

Alternative theory: Our Jellyfish RINO McConnell is too eager to make a deal and willing to cave. Sorry. The guy has proven himself spineless and I don't trust him. If you look at the pic in the story at the link of Chucky, he's ear-to-ear. Gives me the creeps.

Those p*ssy-a$$ RINOs better not give this away. I know what I WON'T be doing in Nov -- voting -- if they do.

Elessar
01-22-2018, 05:29 PM
The only thing positive to a 3 week spending bill is our troops and park rangers will get paid on time
and not have to take loans to feed their kids. That kind of pay freeze hurts junior enlisted, especailly
in high cost of living areas.

Otherwise, until they get their collective heads out of their asses in DC, we are facing more of
the same posturing really soon.

Next pay freeze should include Congress which I know would not hurt them much since many have
worth of hundreds of thousands of dollars, but would demonstrate that would is good for the lesser should be
good for the higher ups.

jimnyc
01-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Now they just prolonged things for 3 weeks. And I think NOW is the time to look at 2 separate deals. The spending is one thing, and any discussion about illegals is another. The illegals shouldn't be tied in, IMO. And the republicans need to make this abundantly clear, to the democrats and to the nation, so that everyone is shown exactly what is going on, as this whole thing will affect the mid-terms, IMO - and is also likely why the dumb dumbs caved even on this temp gig.

Gunny
01-22-2018, 05:39 PM
The only thing positive to a 3 week spending bill is our troops and park rangers will get paid on time
and not have to take loans to feed their kids. That kind of pay freeze hurts junior enlisted, especailly
in high cost of living areas.

Otherwise, until they get their collective heads out of their asses in DC, we are facing more of
the same posturing really soon.

Next pay freeze should include Congress which I know would not hurt them much since many have
worth of hundreds of thousands of dollars, but would demonstrate that would is good for the lesser should be
good for the higher ups.I agree except in real time it's one payday. I know that's something, but if they're going to just do the same ting again, it's just putting off the inevitable.

Black Diamond
01-22-2018, 05:40 PM
Senators should never be president

Gunny
01-22-2018, 07:26 PM
Now they just prolonged things for 3 weeks. And I think NOW is the time to look at 2 separate deals. The spending is one thing, and any discussion about illegals is another. The illegals shouldn't be tied in, IMO. And the republicans need to make this abundantly clear, to the democrats and to the nation, so that everyone is shown exactly what is going on, as this whole thing will affect the mid-terms, IMO - and is also likely why the dumb dumbs caved even on this temp gig.I agree. Trump and the Republicans need to stand firm on that single point. DACA is separate from the budget. Period.

I'm still miffed Trump was calling for the nuclear option and McConnell balked. I of course consider it the right decision to hold off; however, second guessing the commander's orders IN BATTLE is pretty damned dumb. It gets people killed. Trump needs to sew up his front line. It's got gaps and he's got one weak-ass colonel on the ground for a leader.

Russ
01-22-2018, 07:45 PM

I'm think you are right with this one, Bilge. Schumer went to so much trouble putting together this "government shutdown" fiasco that the only thing I would think would get him to cave so quickly is seeing evidence that the voters were blaming him more than Trump. Schumer must have been so sure voters would blame Trump. If he had any reinforcement of that idea, he be glad to keep the shutdown going for weeks or months, and wouldn't give a hoot about military families paying their bills.

He must be changing his shorts every 10 minutes today, now that he's being blamed by the left and laughed at by the right. Hah!

Russ
01-22-2018, 07:54 PM
I agree except in real time it's one payday. I know that's something, but if they're going to just do the same ting again, it's just putting off the inevitable.

I'm hoping that Schumer will be shutdown-averse now, since he suddenly looks like such a goofball twit to people on both sides.

What's with Schumer, anyway? With that perpetual smirk on his goofy face, and those ridiculous glasses always perched at the end of his Nixonian nose while he peers over them... what a dufus!

http://media.breitbart.com/media/2017/03/chuck-schumer-close-up-ap-photo.jpg

Chuck "DUFUS" Schumer

Gunny
01-22-2018, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping that Schumer will be shutdown-averse now, since he suddenly looks like such a goofball twit to people on both sides.

What's with Schumer, anyway? With that perpetual smirk on his goofy face, and those ridiculous glasses always perched at the end of his Nixonian nose while he peers over them... what a dufus!

http://media.breitbart.com/media/2017/03/chuck-schumer-close-up-ap-photo.jpg

Chuck "DUFUS" Schumer

:laugh: I can't remember Nixon's nose cuz of his jowls :laugh:

Beats the Hell out of me. Pelosi's face probably cracked a camera or two though. :laugh:

darin
01-23-2018, 05:16 AM
I like to get paid too. Lots of us are affected. If we are repaid for the missed work day, they will tax that at a rate higher than our normal salary because it's paid back as a bonus - so we'll lose generally about 15-20% of a normal day's pay.

Gunny
01-23-2018, 09:41 AM
I like to get paid too. Lots of us are affected. If we are repaid for the missed work day, they will tax that at a rate higher than our normal salary because it's paid back as a bonus - so we'll lose generally about 15-20% of a normal day's pay.That sucks. I wasn't aware of that. Never been a government civilian employee.