PDA

View Full Version : Going To Sell About 250 Movies...

High_Plains_Drifter
01-23-2018, 08:25 PM
I have a media rack I built that will hold about 400 movies and it was within a couple of being full. I got to looking at them at realized so many of them were just stupid and I'd never watch them again. Hollyweird certainly has put out a ton of garbage over the past few years. So I went through them kept only the ones that are genuinely good movies. I am keeping all the new 4K movies though because now I'm being much more selective with what I'll buy. Just no reason to buy shitty movies. I'll either pay the $4 or whatever on Prime or whatever to watch one I'm not sure about and save money.

Sometimes I wonder why I've spent so much money on a huge 4K TV and sound system, but then watch a GOOD movie and remember why. Just wish they'd start making GOOD movies again. I used to buy a couple movies a week, but this is like the third time I've culled my movie library of garbage.

On ebay they go.

Elessar
01-23-2018, 08:40 PM
Far too many movies made these days are really trashy, so do not bother with them.

I've got a lot of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Then there are all the Harry Potter,
Lord of The Rings, and The Hobbit releases.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-23-2018, 09:10 PM
Far too many movies made these days are really trashy, so do not bother with them.

I've got a lot of John Wayne and Clint Eastwood. Then there are all the Harry Potter,
Lord of The Rings, and The Hobbit releases.
Yep, I have many Clint movies, have all the Harry Potter, I even like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, they're keepers. Those I would watch again, like "The Outlaw Josey Wales," good Lord I've probably watched that 100 times... :laugh: It never gets old.

Watching the trailer for a movie it usually looks like something I MIGHT enjoy, and then you watch it and think, holy cow, THAT STUNK. Well, those are the ones getting sold. They usually go pretty cheap on ebay but, what ya gonna do?

Black Diamond
01-23-2018, 09:38 PM
Yep, I have many Clint movies, have all the Harry Potter, I even like the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, they're keepers. Those I would watch again, like "The Outlaw Josey Wales," good Lord I've probably watched that 100 times... :laugh: It never gets old.

Watching the trailer for a movie it usually looks like something I MIGHT enjoy, and then you watch it and think, holy cow, THAT STUNK. Well, those are the ones getting sold. They usually go pretty cheap on ebay but, what ya gonna do?
How do you like the old movies on bluray compared to dvd ?

Elessar
01-23-2018, 09:54 PM

Bluray is more reliable and durable.

Black Diamond
01-23-2018, 09:59 PM
Bluray is more reliable and durable.
How do they look on a 1080p or 4K screen?

Gunny
01-23-2018, 10:06 PM
I have a media rack I built that will hold about 400 movies and it was within a couple of being full. I got to looking at them at realized so many of them were just stupid and I'd never watch them again. Hollyweird certainly has put out a ton of garbage over the past few years. So I went through them kept only the ones that are genuinely good movies. I am keeping all the new 4K movies though because now I'm being much more selective with what I'll buy. Just no reason to buy shitty movies. I'll either pay the $4 or whatever on Prime or whatever to watch one I'm not sure about and save money.

Sometimes I wonder why I've spent so much money on a huge 4K TV and sound system, but then watch a GOOD movie and remember why. Just wish they'd start making GOOD movies again. I used to buy a couple movies a week, but this is like the third time I've culled my movie library of garbage.

On ebay they go.Lucky I caught that last sentence. I thought you were going to sell US your sh*tty moves :laugh:

Elessar
01-23-2018, 10:08 PM
How do they look on a 1080p or 4K screen?

They look fantastic.

I have a converter where I can copy old VHS tapes onto Bluray discs. Time consuming, but the
result is very good. I had a converter for VHS to DVD, but the results were grainy.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-23-2018, 10:57 PM
I buy 4K now, and 4K is to bluray what bluray is to DVD.

DVD's are 480p
Blurays are 1080p
4K are 2160p

Each has double or more the resolution what the other had. 4K is jaw dropping with the HDR10.

Black Diamond
01-24-2018, 02:16 AM
I buy 4K now, and 4K is to bluray what bluray is to DVD.

DVD's are 480p
Blurays are 1080p
4K are 2160p

Each has double or more the resolution what the other had. 4K is jaw dropping with the HDR10.
Have they made the old movies like Dirty Harry, 2001, godfather, etc in 4K yet? Or just the new movies ?

High_Plains_Drifter
01-24-2018, 02:41 AM
Have they made the old movies like Dirty Harry, 2001, godfather, etc in 4K yet? Or just the new movies ?
Not that I know of. There are some but few and far between because even remastered, the old movies just didn't have the resolution, let alone the 5.1 or even now like the 7.1 Dolby Atmos 3D Digital surround sound.

darin
01-24-2018, 03:06 AM
depending on the size of the screen, nobody can see the difference between 4k and 1080p. That's the rub for me. Sitting 6 feet from my 55" tv, i doubt a 4k TV would be worth the cost; especially considering my absolute LACK of any 4k signal.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-24-2018, 03:29 AM
depending on the size of the screen, nobody can see the difference between 4k and 1080p. That's the rub for me. Sitting 6 feet from my 55" tv, i doubt a 4k TV would be worth the cost; especially considering my absolute LACK of any 4k signal.
I TOTALLY beg to differ, bro... you must be kidding, and screen size is irrelevant. Most 4K TV's now have what's called HDR10, which is high dynamic resolution, and the picture is absolutely stunning. No regular 1080p can even come close to the picture. The detail is mind blowing. My LG is a 65" and the picture is jaw dropping. I had a 55" LG 1080p before that and there is no comparison. I am an audiophile/videophile nut. I have been deep into this stuff for the majority of my life.

You MUST go look at the new 4K TV'S with HDR10, and do so beside an old 1080p.

https://image.ibb.co/hV1fGw/20171101_142215.jpg

darin
01-24-2018, 03:37 AM
I TOTALLY beg to differ, bro... you must be kidding, and screen size is irrelevant. Most 4K TV's now have what's called HDR10, which is high dynamic resolution, and the picture is absolutely stunning. No regular 1080p can even come close to the picture. The detail is mind blowing. My LG is a 65" and the picture is jaw dropping. I had a 55" LG 1080p before that and there is no comparison. I am an audiophile/videophile nut. I have been deep into this stuff for the majority of my life.

You MUST go look at the new 4K TV'S with HDR10, and do so beside an old 1080p.

https://image.ibb.co/hV1fGw/20171101_142215.jpg

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-c10ea19414842d29a8024993fde572dc-c

http://i.rtings.com/images/resolution-4k-ultra-hd-chart.png

High_Plains_Drifter
01-24-2018, 03:46 AM
Don't believe the charts, pard, believe your own eyes.

I remember when they came out with the 1080p tv's, they said there's no reason for tv's to have any greater resolution than that because human eyes won't be able to tell the difference. Well ya know what? HOG WASH.

You MUST see for yourself. I GUARANTEE you that if you put a 1080p and a 4K tv beside each other and asked me to pick out the 4K tv, I could do it EVERY TIME. The difference is as stark as day and night. See, it's not JUST the resolution, my old 1080p tv could produce about 1.5 million different shades of color, but my new HDR10 4K tv can create over 3 BILLION.

Really... you have to see it.

darin
01-24-2018, 03:50 AM
Don't believe the charts, pard, believe your own eyes.

I remember when they came out with the 1080p tv's, they said there's no reason for tv's to have any greater resolution than that because human eyes won't be able to tell the difference. Well ya know what? HOG WASH.

You MUST see for yourself. I GUARANTEE you that if you put a 1080p and a 4K tv beside each other and asked me to pick out the 4K tv, I could do it EVERY TIME. The difference is as stark as day and night. See, it's not JUST the resolution, my old 1080p tv could produce about 1.5 million different shades of color, but my new HDR10 4K tv can create over 3 BILLION.

Really... you have to see it.

There's no way I could notice that difference from where I sit. In bed I'm 10 feet away; on the couch at least six. And I have no real source for 4k here. If the source has only 1M dif shades of color it doesn't matter the TV's capacity for color. Make sense?

High_Plains_Drifter
01-24-2018, 04:10 AM
There's no way I could notice that difference from where I sit. In bed I'm 10 feet away; on the couch at least six. And I have no real source for 4k here. If the source has only 1M dif shades of color it doesn't matter the TV's capacity for color. Make sense?
The tv will "upscale." It has a native resolution of 4K and all those colors are always present, it's better no matter the source. It's the brightness and contrast of the new LED's that make the picture pop, makes it appear more 3D. Like seeing an areal picture of NYC at night. You'd swear you were in the seat of the craft taking the shot. My seat in the house is probably ten feet away, but I have an oppo 4k disc player for movies, and high end Audio Quest HDMI cables high in silver content so there's very little to no picture degradation. Oh I can on for hours about this stuff. This and hotrods is my life's passion. It's probably a good thing I don't have a wife, or she'd be horrified at the amount of money out of my budget I've spent on audio/video toys... :laugh:

I'll tell ya though, the 4K animated movies are just insane.

darin
01-24-2018, 04:31 AM
The tv will "upscale." It has a native resolution of 4K and all those colors are always present, it's better no matter the source. It's the brightness and contrast of the new LED's that make the picture pop, makes it appear more 3D. Like seeing an areal picture of NYC at night. You'd swear you were in the seat of the craft taking the shot. My seat in the house is probably ten feet away, but I have an oppo 4k disc player for movies, and high end Audio Quest HDMI cables high in silver content so there's very little to no picture degradation. Oh I can on for hours about this stuff. This and hotrods is my life's passion. It's probably a good thing I don't have a wife, or she'd be horrified at the amount of money out of my budget I've spent on audio/video toys... :laugh:

I'll tell ya though, the 4K animated movies are just insane.

And that's another aspect. I want a farm - a homestead. Want to save money for chickens and pigs and a cow. :D Real life is better than 4k.

Course, I still have twin 10" JL Audio subs in my car... :D

High_Plains_Drifter
01-24-2018, 05:00 AM
And that's another aspect. I want a farm - a homestead. Want to save money for chickens and pigs and a cow. :D Real life is better than 4k.

Course, I still have twin 10" JL Audio subs in my car... :D
Ya know... I have over an acre and I'm in the township... I could have critters. I'd love to have ducks or something. I even have an old chicken coup already. But then who would feed them when I'm gone on vacation? That's my only problem, or I probably would have critters, maybe even raise a pig or a cow. I could even have a horse. Well, I do have a horse... an IRON HORSE... :laugh:

Going to sell that one of these days too, but I gotta have $25K for it. Be worth twice that 40 years from now.

My advice if you want that stuff someday, move to the bread basket of America, and the dairyland, WISCONSIN... :)

darin
01-24-2018, 06:59 AM
Going to settle in a place with 4 real seasons, low taxation, high freedoms. Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North Carolina - places like that.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-24-2018, 07:38 AM
Going to settle in a place with 4 real seasons, low taxation, high freedoms. Alaska, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, North Carolina - places like that.
Been to all those places, prices are too high, especially Montana, it's about like CA, same with Idaho, Alaska. Hope you have plenty of dough and like forest fire smoke.

North Carolina, better, but no 4 seasons.

I know most people avoid Wisconsin... IT'S TOO COLD... :laugh: ... that's OK with me, keeps the population here down and gives us plenty of elbow room. But dollar for dollar buying land, homes, and beauty wise, I don't think you can beat Wisconsin.

darin
01-24-2018, 08:10 AM
Been to all those places, prices are too high, especially Montana, it's about like CA, same with Idaho, Alaska. Hope you have plenty of dough and like forest fire smoke.

North Carolina, better, but no 4 seasons.

I know most people avoid Wisconsin... IT'S TOO COLD... :laugh: ... that's OK with me, keeps the population here down and gives us plenty of elbow room. But dollar for dollar buying land, homes, and beauty wise, I don't think you can beat Wisconsin.

i love the cold. And The mountains of NC have seasons :D

I've found prices in Idaho and eastern wa to be quite reasonable. I saw more than a few farmsteads for less than 300k.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-24-2018, 02:12 PM
i love the cold. And The mountains of NC have seasons :D

I've found prices in Idaho and eastern wa to be quite reasonable. I saw more than a few farmsteads for less than 300k.
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/WI/pmf,pf_pt/2091496194_zpid/60_rid/globalrelevanceex_sort/43.225255,-90.347357,43.1459,-90.494986_rect/12_zm/

darin
01-25-2018, 01:52 AM
I love that! If it were twice the land I'd be on it :D

This place needs only a barn

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2051-S-Grade-Rd-Juliaetta-ID-83535/110449738_zpid/