PDA

View Full Version : More Items FromChina Recalled!

nevadamedic
08-15-2007, 04:41 PM
I was just watching MSNBC and now there are childrens bib's and certain clothing pieces being recalled for lead based paint. It appears to be major labels like Fisher Price/Mattel and others. If anyone can find the list please post it here as I know a lot of us have kids here.

What in the hell is going on with China? First Pet Food, Then Human Food, Then Tires now Childrens Toys, do youo think we should boycott items made in China? Couldn't there possibly be a link to Terrorism? This is happening way to often to say opppssss it's an accident.

How do you think our country should get around this problem? I think we need to start putting money into American Businesses and raise the import tax pretty high. We can also give the companies here in the US tax breaks and other advantages to get them back here.

Joe Steel
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Boycott all foreign producers for goods which can be produced in the U. S. Globalization destroys jobs and hurts America.

Yurt
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Why?

If you really want to lessen the trade imbalance, slap tariffs on their goods to deal with their economic policy regarding the US.

If it is just because these products were recalled, then are you willing to boycott every US company that has recalled products.

Besides, the guy in charge killed himself.

5stringJeff
08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Boycott all foreign producers for goods which can be produced in the U. S. Globalization destroys jobs and hurts America.

Actually, globalization makes the economy more efficient and lowers prices for consumers.

theHawk
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
I was just watching MSNBC and now there are childrens bib's and certain clothing pieces being recalled for lead based paint. It appears to be major labels like Fisher Price/Mattel and others. If anyone can find the list please post it here as I know a lot of us have kids here.

What in the hell is going on with China? First Pet Food, Then Human Food, Then Tires now Childrens Toys, do youo think we should boycott items made in China? Couldn't there possibly be a link to Terrorism? This is happening way to often to say opppssss it's an accident.

How do you think our country should get around this problem? I think we need to start putting money into American Businesses and raise the import tax pretty high. We can also give the companies here in the US tax breaks and other advantages to get them back here.

I've been saying all along we should boycott China as a whole. There is no reason we should reward this country for their humans rights violations, lack of freedom of religion, and deplorable environmental laws. With all the corners they cut they have a huge and unfair advantage over US companies that are forced to abid by strict environmental and employee benefit laws.

actsnoblemartin
08-16-2007, 07:35 PM
I agree.

Joe Steel
08-17-2007, 05:35 AM
Actually, globalization makes the economy more efficient and lowers prices for consumers.

Actually, a guy without a job can't buy anything.

Joe Steel
08-17-2007, 05:41 AM
Why?

If you really want to lessen the trade imbalance, slap tariffs on their goods to deal with their economic policy regarding the US.

High tariffs might be a good alternative to a boycott. Raising the price of offending goods to prohibitive levels would keep them out of the U. S.

If it is just because these products were recalled, then are you willing to boycott every US company that has recalled products.

Besides, the guy in charge killed himself.

The recalled goods don't really bother me. We could deal with them if we had an effective inspection system. The way to get that is to toss the Bush Regime and never elect another conservative. Unfortunately, that's no more likely to happen than a boycott.

diuretic
08-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Damn, do they want ALL their fried rice back?????

glockmail
08-17-2007, 06:34 AM
I vote yes because if they can't meet our standards then of course don''t buy it.

5stringJeff
08-17-2007, 07:58 AM
Actually, a guy without a job can't buy anything.

And considering that we've had steady unemployment at or below 5% for the last 10-15 years, that hasn't really been a problem in the US.

Joe Steel
08-17-2007, 12:01 PM
And considering that we've had steady unemployment at or below 5% for the last 10-15 years, that hasn't really been a problem in the US.

The unemployment rate has been low because the participation rate has plummeted. So many can't find a job they've stopped looking. They're not considered part of the workforce so they're not counted as unemployed.

nevadamedic
08-17-2007, 12:28 PM

Well said, and coming from you, I am proud of ya! :salute:

-Cp
08-17-2007, 12:29 PM
The unemployment rate has been low because the participation rate has plummeted. So many can't find a job they've stopped looking. They're not considered part of the workforce so they're not counted as unemployed.

Your information is HIGHLY ignorant..

I personally know head-hunters in the Bay Area - for example - that tell me unemployment is so low that the companies in that area are forced to look outside the state to find qualified ppl....

You can spin it all you want, but anyone who wants a job right now can get one.. .

nevadamedic
08-17-2007, 12:30 PM
I've been saying all along we should boycott China as a whole. There is no reason we should reward this country for their humans rights violations, lack of freedom of religion, and deplorable environmental laws. With all the corners they cut they have a huge and unfair advantage over US companies that are forced to abid by strict environmental and employee benefit laws.

I honestly believe the Pet Food Deal was a Terrorist act. They were seeing how well it worked before they put a lot of resources into it. There are quite a few active AQ cells and other AQ friendly groups there. There has to be more to a lot of this then we think.

nevadamedic
08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
I vote yes because if they can't meet our standards then of course don''t buy it.

The thing with me is that I will buy a Made in America product over any other even if it costs more. Also I prefer to use these little mom and pop local stores rather then the big chain stores even if it costs a little extra.

nevadamedic
08-17-2007, 12:34 PM
Your information is HIGHLY ignorant..

I personally know head-hunters in the Bay Area - for example - that tell me unemployment is so low that the companies in that area are forced to look outside the state to find qualified ppl....

You can spin it all you want, but anyone who wants a job right now can get one.. .

I have very highly educated family in the Bay Area and they are having a horrible time gaining employment.

5stringJeff
08-17-2007, 02:21 PM

Untrue. Between 1997 and 2007, the labor force participation rate has fluctuated between 65.7% and 67.2% - very steady compared to the large growth in the labor focre participation rate in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, shown here (http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/SurveyOutputServlet?data_tool=latest_numbers&series_id=LNS11300000&years_option=specific_years&include_graphs=true&to_year=2006&from_year=1948).

So with mostly free trade, we have steady labor participation, and low unemployment - and oh, by the way, low inflation and an expanding economy.

Joe Steel
08-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Untrue. Between 1997 and 2007, the labor force participation rate has fluctuated between 65.7% and 67.2% - very steady compared to the large growth in the labor focre participation rate in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, shown here (http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/SurveyOutputServlet?data_tool=latest_numbers&series_id=LNS11300000&years_option=specific_years&include_graphs=true&to_year=2006&from_year=1948).

So with mostly free trade, we have steady labor participation, and low unemployment - and oh, by the way, low inflation and an expanding economy.

Nonsense. Look at your line graph between 1998 and 2003. It's steady for awhile and drops like a rock; reflecting the Bush Regimes utter disregard for the welfare of American workers.

red states rule
08-17-2007, 05:06 PM
Nonsense. Look at your line graph between 1998 and 2003. It's steady for awhile and drops like a rock; reflecting the Bush Regimes utter disregard for the welfare of American workers.

The Federal budget is spending record amounts for the beloved liberal welfare programs

After 40 years and $9 trillion, libs say we have underfunded those programs

5stringJeff
08-17-2007, 06:04 PM

If, by "drops like a rock," you really mean "dropped by 1.5 percent, only to subsequently rise by half as much after the recession caused by 9/11," then yes, I would agree.

Not to mention, Bill Clinton signed NAFTA into effect in 1993 - to his credit. The labor force participation rate has been just as high, or higher, ever since.

red states rule
08-17-2007, 06:05 PM
If, by "drops like a rock," you really mean "dropped by 1.5 percent, only to subsequently rise by half as much after the recession caused by 9/11," then yes, I would agree.

Not to mention, Bill Clinton signed NAFTA into effect in 1993 - to his credit. The labor force participation rate has been just as high, or higher, ever since.

Hey, stop mixing the issue with facts when talking to a liberal. That is a dirty tactic