PDA

View Full Version : Wonder Woman Workout

Gunny
01-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Y'know, I see I have a ways to go getting my butt back in shape. Those gals look like they might hurt.:laugh:

I want one :smoke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2O_bboGEDc

High_Plains_Drifter
01-25-2018, 11:27 PM
I wish there was a decent gym close to me, I'd join it. I used the base gyms all the time.

Gunny
01-26-2018, 12:57 PM
I wish there was a decent gym close to me, I'd join it. I used the base gyms all the time.Depends on what you want. All you need is a garage, weight set, bench, pullup bar and running shoes. You can add all kinds of stuff to those basics. Heavy bag, jump rope, basketball shoes (better to lifr in that running shoes), weight belt ... all kinds of crap. Mechanically-minded people can make all kinds of stuff.

If you're there to meet people, your garage is probably not going to work unless you install a bar :laugh:

I used to work out on base. Even on leave. Being the tight ass that I am, I decided that weights was one thing I did 6 days a week without fail so it would be a worthy investment to get my own stuff. I've been lifting since about 75 so it's safe to say I'm probably not going to quit until or unless I just can't. I ca run and practice martial outs with no special equipment but running shoes and a knee brace.

I'm sure this comes as a big shock and surprise :laugh:, but other people annoy the sh*t out of me when I'm working out. No one in my family will even come near me. Except my ex. She loved to wait until I had my blood pressure and heart rate up to start some annoying who gives a f*ck argument and then get all butthurt when I finally snapped at her ass. Whatever. I need caution tape :laugh2: The garage and me, myself and I work just fine :).

High_Plains_Drifter
01-26-2018, 08:02 PM
Depends on what you want. All you need is a garage, weight set, bench, pullup bar and running shoes. You can add all kinds of stuff to those basics. Heavy bag, jump rope, basketball shoes (better to lifr in that running shoes), weight belt ... all kinds of crap. Mechanically-minded people can make all kinds of stuff.

If you're there to meet people, your garage is probably not going to work unless you install a bar :laugh:

I used to work out on base. Even on leave. Being the tight ass that I am, I decided that weights was one thing I did 6 days a week without fail so it would be a worthy investment to get my own stuff. I've been lifting since about 75 so it's safe to say I'm probably not going to quit until or unless I just can't. I ca run and practice martial outs with no special equipment but running shoes and a knee brace.

I'm sure this comes as a big shock and surprise :laugh:, but other people annoy the sh*t out of me when I'm working out. No one in my family will even come near me. Except my ex. She loved to wait until I had my blood pressure and heart rate up to start some annoying who gives a f*ck argument and then get all butthurt when I finally snapped at her ass. Whatever. I need caution tape :laugh2: The garage and me, myself and I work just fine :).
I kinda hijacked the other thread about this so, I'll continue here. Yeah I had a kick ass Golds Universal Gym, wish I still had it. It had everything with 250 lbs of iron. I sure got the good out of it. It was huge though. I want something else now that doesn't take up as much room. I need iron though, I'm not a big one for cardio training, I get that working, I like the resistance training, and at 62, it still feels good to get pumped.

Gunny
01-26-2018, 09:47 PM
I use a cheesy weight bench my SIL was using as a paperweight and I got 110 lb weight set for about $99. That's as opposed to the 1000 lb rated bench and 2 Olympic sets I used to use. I had to start over from sophomore size and weight when I used to weigh 205. My concern was walking, then running again. And getting rid of the wrinkles in my upper body from losing 50 lbs. I also have a doorway pullup bar in my closet doorway.

Room never really phased me. I've lived 3 different places where my weights and bench were in a closet and I dragged them out every morning, lifted, and put them back. The "weight room" was the living room with the coffee table pushed off to the side. I think what I stated above is about as small as you can go and still use free weights.

I've had some strange stuff over the years. My seabag stuffed with boots, winter clothes, rags and whatever as a heavy bag.:laugh: Had a pullup bar that was two heavy duty eye screws into the ceiling rafter with hooks on the eyes, and I'd put a piece of 1" rigid conduit in the hooks. I didn't have a makiwara nor a yard at one apt so I doubled up two felt furniture pads and punched it. In Kuwait, we used a truck axle with sandbags to do squats.

I'm a psycho when it comes to working out. I don't think I'm going to be cured :laugh:

When I did my "reboot" last year I started with 2 10lb kettlebells for about 5 reps and I was done. Then I'd try and walk to the end of the street with my cane jimbob was threatening to kick out from under me. I'm up to using all my weights and can run for 55 minutes. The idea being to cut the run back to thirty and practice kung fu for the other 20-30 to get my balance back in order.

So just start with the basics. Basic weights, equipment, 3 sets of 10 reps per bodypart twice a week, don't cheat yourself (no one's watching when you work out alone so it serves no purpose), adjust accordingly, and stay with that for a month before changing anything just to establish a base to start from.

If you have to work around injuries, then work around them. I err on the side of caution. An injury nowadays takes forever to heal. It's a good idea to check with a doctor first anyway if you haven't done it in a long time, but if you start feeling hinky like blood pressure, feint, any of that definitely do.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-26-2018, 10:29 PM
I use a cheesy weight bench my SIL was using as a paperweight and I got 110 lb weight set for about $99. That's as opposed to the 1000 lb rated bench and 2 Olympic sets I used to use. I had to start over from sophomore size and weight when I used to weigh 205. My concern was walking, then running again. And getting rid of the wrinkles in my upper body from losing 50 lbs. I also have a doorway pullup bar in my closet doorway.

Room never really phased me. I've lived 3 different places where my weights and bench were in a closet and I dragged them out every morning, lifted, and put them back. The "weight room" was the living room with the coffee table pushed off to the side. I think what I stated above is about as small as you can go and still use free weights.

I've had some strange stuff over the years. My seabag stuffed with boots, winter clothes, rags and whatever as a heavy bag.:laugh: Had a pullup bar that was two heavy duty eye screws into the ceiling rafter with hooks on the eyes, and I'd put a piece of 1" rigid conduit in the hooks. I didn't have a makiwara nor a yard at one apt so I doubled up two felt furniture pads and punched it. In Kuwait, we used a truck axle with sandbags to do squats.

I'm a psycho when it comes to working out. I don't think I'm going to be cured :laugh:

When I did my "reboot" last year I started with 2 10lb kettlebells for about 5 reps and I was done. Then I'd try and walk to the end of the street with my cane jimbob was threatening to kick out from under me. I'm up to using all my weights and can run for 55 minutes. The idea being to cut the run back to thirty and practice kung fu for the other 20-30 to get my balance back in order.

So just start with the basics. Basic weights, equipment, 3 sets of 10 reps per bodypart twice a week, don't cheat yourself (no one's watching when you work out alone so it serves no purpose), adjust accordingly, and stay with that for a month before changing anything just to establish a base to start from.

If you have to work around injuries, then work around them. I err on the side of caution. An injury nowadays takes forever to heal. It's a good idea to check with a doctor first anyway if you haven't done it in a long time, but if you start feeling hinky like blood pressure, feint, any of that definitely do.
I have atrophy in my right triceps so, I can do bench presses but it's best to do it on something other than free weights in case my damn chest muscles miss their cue and it comes down on my face. Other than that I can use free weights. I do have an old duffle bag I could fill up with old blankets or something and hang it for a punching bag... that's an idea. I couldn't do a pull up if my life depended on it right now, too out of shape. Been about 5 years since I sold the universal gym so right now I have NOTHING. I've looked at the gyms at walmart and thought what a load of crap. But I'm going to have to get something. It's not bad in the summer because I do a lot of hard work around here. This place had been neglected for 25 years and there was over growth and trees everywhere that needed to be cut down, so I use the chain saw and do a lot of heavy lugging shit around. I get in pretty decent shape in the summer but lose too much ground in the winter. Time to get back to working out on something. I miss it bad. Going to start looking on Amazon or something for a gym that's like a space saver or something. Going to at least get a set of iron dumbells quick.

Gunny
01-26-2018, 10:53 PM
I have atrophy in my right triceps so, I can do bench presses but it's best to do it on something other than free weights in case my damn chest muscles miss their cue and it comes down on my face. Other than that I can use free weights. I do have an old duffle bag I could fill up with old blankets or something and hang it for a punching bag... that's an idea. I couldn't do a pull up if my life depended on it right now, too out of shape. Been about 5 years since I sold the universal gym so right now I have NOTHING. I've looked at the gyms at walmart and thought what a load of crap. But I'm going to have to get something. It's not bad in the summer because I do a lot of hard work around here. This place had been neglected for 25 years and there was over growth and trees everywhere that needed to be cut down, so I use the chain saw and do a lot of heavy lugging shit around. I get in pretty decent shape in the summer but lose too much ground in the winter. Time to get back to working out on something. I miss it bad. Going to start looking on Amazon or something for a gym that's like a space saver or something. Going to at least get a set of iron dumbells quick.I stared at my pullup bar for a long time :laugh:. My problem is comparing what I can do now to what I used to do. I could do 20 pullups, non stop the entire time I was a Marine. I think I can hit about 4 at a time now.

I think for just a basic set, the one at Wal-Mart (the bench) is just fine. I don't like their weights. They're ugly :laugh:. Google Academy Sports. Don't know if you got one there, but it's where I get my sports stuff. I thought about getting the whole Olympic set and H.D. bench again, but I really don't need it. A better bench maybe. I don't really want to get any bigger than I am now and carry all that weight. Muscle is heavy.

Plus, I don't want to invest in anything I won't use.

Two space savers I can think of. Bowflex. They're supposed to be good. Not sure they're worth the price. Then there's that thing Chuck Norris sells. I don't know what they call it. What most don't know is you can see him working out on one in "An Eye for an Eye" back in the late 70s-early 80s. Both of those are supposed to be space savers.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-27-2018, 02:24 AM
Then there's that thing Chuck Norris sells. I don't know what they call it. What most don't know is you can see him working out on one in "An Eye for an Eye" back in the late 70s-early 80s. Both of those are supposed to be space savers.
Called a "Total Gym." I had one in Reno. I sold it because I didn't want to pack it. The thing was very easy to store bit it was also heavy. It's great for stretching and simple resistance training, but you won't put any bulk on with it. I really like to stress when I work out. I like to push it. I try and get in reps but then I like to hit the just burn it with as heavy as I can lift until I can't lift anymore.

I know they sell some decent dumb bells at walmart, adjustable weight, iron, I've seen them. Next time I'm up there I think I'll pick a set up. Lots of good exercises you can do with dumb bells.

Yeah, pull ups... :laugh: ... I'll have to lose about 15 pounds of winter flab off the gut before I even try one.

Elessar
01-27-2018, 07:10 AM
That is a very good video which shows a variety of things that can be done.

However the one thing I disgree with is the 'kipping' and 'jerking' motions shown
on those cable machines. That is very bad for the lower back unless only
lighter weight is being used.

Gunny
01-27-2018, 11:41 AM
That is a very good video which shows a variety of things that can be done.

However the one thing I disgree with is the 'kipping' and 'jerking' motions shown
on those cable machines. That is very bad for the lower back unless only
lighter weight is being used.As long as it is part of the program, and the athlete is conditioned to it, it's no different than using "cheating reps" at any lift. I agree that strict form should be followed, but cycling in stuff every now and again to get a jump start to a stale program is okay and can be beneficial.

In the case of some of these workouts, it's just one of those "youth matters" things. I've done some wild stuff in my day that I wonder now WTH was I thinking and would never consider doing now. You can call that maturity and wisdom. Then again, you can call it when we started getting boring.

Abbey Marie
01-27-2018, 01:29 PM
High_Plains_Drifter

switching channels, and I saw that QVC for today only has the Chuck Norris
Total Gym for $699, free shipping, and you can pay it in 6?i stallments with no interest charges. They send it to you right away after one installment of $116.
Plus 8 DVDs.

they say it’s valued at $1600.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-27-2018, 05:19 PM
@High_Plains_Drifter (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3558)

Total Gym for $699, free shipping, and you can pay it in 6?i stallments with no interest charges. They send it to you right away after one installment of $116.
Plus 8 DVDs.

they say it’s valued at $1600.
Thanks for the info, Abbey.

The one I had in Reno was the latest model with all the goodies and I got it on craigslist for $150. No way would I pay $1,600 or even $700, they're not worth it. It is a handy outfit for people that want to do low impact, high reps, stretching sort of exercises. I would be a great thing for the elderly... and no, I'm not there yet... :laugh:

Gunny
01-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the info, Abbey.

The one I had in Reno was the latest model with all the goodies and I got it on craigslist for $150. No way would I pay $1,600 or even $700, they're not worth it. It is a handy outfit for people that want to do low impact, high reps, stretching sort of exercises. I would be a great thing for the elderly... and no, I'm not there yet... :laugh:

:smoke:

High_Plains_Drifter
01-27-2018, 10:47 PM
:smoke:
What 'chu lookin' at? .... :slap: ... :laugh:

I'll have to admit, with the huge white beard I got going on now, I probably look like I'm a lot older than I am... maybe... :laugh2:

Gunny
01-28-2018, 08:09 PM
What 'chu lookin' at? .... :slap: ... :laugh:

I'll have to admit, with the huge white beard I got going on now, I probably look like I'm a lot older than I am... maybe... :laugh2:Honestly, you have white hair and that's all I remember. I wouldn't know any one of you if you walked up and said hello. I've seen a few pics here and there over the years, but after that stroke, I would have to look at a pic of you every day for a week then might recognize you. I don't even know my neighbors on sight except which house they come out of. If they are away from their house, bets are off.

So ... ANYONE getting bent out of shape about me calling you ugly or whatever, it's probably talking sh*t. If I actually thought someone was ugly I probably would not mention it to or in front of them :laugh:

I was thinking more along the "old enough to collect SS" lines :poke:

Gunny
01-28-2018, 08:20 PM
@High_Plains_Drifter (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3558)

Plus 8 DVDs.

they say it’s valued at $1600.I had no idea what they cost. Here's the way I look at it. For $200 I can get a 310 lb Olympic weight set. $50-100 more a bench, the higher end usually able to hold more weight, or more attachments. Doorway pullup bar $@5 at WallyWorld. I'm in business and I can store that in no more space than anything else might take up. Tge PIA or drawback is you have to get it out and put it up each time you use it. Since using free weights you're going to load/unload the plates anyway, your actual net loss is getting out the bench and bar putting them in place. Other side of the coin, you can move them anywhere and make them fit. A machine might take up X amount of space, but it required THAT x amount of space no matter where you put it and they are generally a PIA to move.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-31-2018, 02:46 PM
I had no idea what they cost. Here's the way I look at it. For $200 I can get a 310 lb Olympic weight set. $50-100 more a bench, the higher end usually able to hold more weight, or more attachments. Doorway pullup bar $@5 at WallyWorld. I'm in business and I can store that in no more space than anything else might take up. Tge PIA or drawback is you have to get it out and put it up each time you use it. Since using free weights you're going to load/unload the plates anyway, your actual net loss is getting out the bench and bar putting them in place. Other side of the coin, you can move them anywhere and make them fit. A machine might take up X amount of space, but it required THAT x amount of space no matter where you put it and they are generally a PIA to move.
You probably think I'm nuts for finding this then...

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-BSG10X-Assembly-160-Pound-Weight/dp/B000NZPB2E?tag=ttr_home-gyms-20&ascsubtag=49161517426842651#customerReviews

But like I say, I'm missing 95% of my right triceps, so I just really can't use free weights for a lot of things. I like the draw down bar and leg station on these things also though. This gym is rated one of the best for 2018 in the "budget" category. I have plenty of room upstairs in my shop to put this.

Gunny
01-31-2018, 03:12 PM
You probably think I'm nuts for finding this then...

https://www.amazon.com/Powerline-BSG10X-Assembly-160-Pound-Weight/dp/B000NZPB2E?tag=ttr_home-gyms-20&ascsubtag=49161517426842651#customerReviews

But like I say, I'm missing 95% of my right triceps, so I just really can't use free weights for a lot of things. I like the draw down bar and leg station on these things also though. This gym is rated one of the best for 2018 in the "budget" category. I have plenty of room upstairs in my shop to put this.Nope. I've had to use one of those before due to circumstance. Meaning I was a way from home and the base. They work.

Triceps is the one muscle I worked on the machine if I could. I've even built one with a couple of pulleys, and jacketed wire before. Don't have one here so I do "skull crushers" mostly. Or dumbell work. If that machine is what I had, I'd use it.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-31-2018, 08:23 PM
Nope. I've had to use one of those before due to circumstance. Meaning I was a way from home and the base. They work.

Triceps is the one muscle I worked on the machine if I could. I've even built one with a couple of pulleys, and jacketed wire before. Don't have one here so I do "skull crushers" mostly. Or dumbell work. If that machine is what I had, I'd use it.
Well I need it, ain't no lie about that. Been about, well, going on 4 years now since I've had a gym or any weights to work with, and I do miss it. Probably going to pick that gym up. Got it in my waiting list on Amazon. Probably get it next month.

Gunny
01-31-2018, 10:24 PM
Well I need it, ain't no lie about that. Been about, well, going on 4 years now since I've had a gym or any weights to work with, and I do miss it. Probably going to pick that gym up. Got it in my waiting list on Amazon. Probably get it next month.If that's what you want and you got the scratch for it then I say go for it. I wouldn't want to spend that much, but in my case I'd consider it a safe investment because I know I'd use it. Probably wear it out. THAT is what I have to look out for. I have to get heavy duty stuff. I'm hard on gym equipment.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-31-2018, 10:40 PM
If that's what you want and you got the scratch for it then I say go for it. I wouldn't want to spend that much, but in my case I'd consider it a safe investment because I know I'd use it. Probably wear it out. THAT is what I have to look out for. I have to get heavy duty stuff. I'm hard on gym equipment.
Yeah I'll get the good out of it for sure. There wasn't any dust on my other gym. I just can't do the free weights with the right arm the way it is. Even doing a bench press, I don't know how much effort the right arm is doing. It's actually 95% the chest muscles making up for the gone triceps, but I get the negative when I let it back down. I was lucky if I could bench 100 lbs with my other gym. I could bench about 275 back in the day when I went to the base gym all the time, before I crushed nerves in my neck, and that was with free weights. I never used a universal gym when I was younger. I did everything with free weights.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-02-2018, 12:02 PM
Time for some treadmill... get the heart pumping and start building up stamina.

Gunny
02-02-2018, 12:03 PM
Time for some treadmill... get the heart pumping and start building up stamina.Running is cheaper :)