PDA

View Full Version : I am a gay conservative. So what?

darin
01-29-2018, 02:37 AM
Well-said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTiADvV_PDs

Gunny
01-29-2018, 10:27 AM
I agree with most of what Benson says.

However, I have to wonder how one can be "Christian" and gay. Doesn't compute. It's not an issue to me, just a question. I don't go around telling people what to do on their own time and both his religion and sexual orientation are on his own time as far as I'm concerned since he was preaching neither. Just curious.

Elessar
01-29-2018, 11:14 AM

However, I have to wonder how one can be "Christian" and gay. Doesn't compute. It's not an issue to me, just a question. I don't go around telling people what to do on their own time and both his religion and sexual orientation are on his own time as far as I'm concerned since he was preaching neither. Just curious.

I think you just answered your own question in a manner.

Got to agree with what he is presenting, especially the "Live and Let Live" statement

Gunny
01-29-2018, 11:17 AM
I think you just answered your own question in a manner.

Got to agree with what he is presenting, especially the "Live and Let Live" statementIt doesn't really answer the question. My being non-judgemental doesn't explain a sexual orientation that defies the religion; yet, calls that religion its own.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-29-2018, 11:23 AM
His sexual orientation as far as I am concerned has nothing to do with his political views , if he does not choose to use it to do such, as so often do those on the left(which I rightly condemn)..
To me, his announcing it ,(as what,an important point?), is such a use, IMHO..
Just the way I view things, if they leave me and mine alone, then I do not give a damn what they do in private..
Problem is, they refuse to leave others alone and that affects me and mine--not a smart move to do to me in person...
As I've told some of them before, in public, get the hell away from me.
AND I WAS NOT KIDDING...
Anybody attempting to force me to accept or do something will find this absolute truth, that I am not ever one to mess around with..-TYR

Gunny
01-29-2018, 11:32 AM
His sexual orientation as far as I am concerned has nothing to do with his political views , if he does not choose to use it to do such, as so often do those on the left(which I rightly condemn)..
To me, his announcing it ,(as what,an important point?), is such a use, IMHO..
Just the way I view things, if they leave me and mine alone, then I do not give a damn what they do in private..
Problem is, they refuse to leave others alone and that effects me and mine--not a smart move to do to me in person...
As I've told some of them before, in public, get the hell away from me.
AND I WAS NOT KIDDING...
Anybody attempting to force me to accept or do something will find this absolute truth, that I not ever one to mess around with..-TYR

His point is, he is not part of "they". Most conservatives would not be. Same as the "gays in the military" argument. They were ALREADY in the military. They were Marines (or whatever flavor of service you prefer). Now they want to be "Gay Marines". When you put your sexual orientation in front of Marine I don't want you f-ing up MY unit. THAT affects ME and the morale and ultimately the lives of my Marines that make up a precision unit. If a part's f-d up on my truck, I discard it and get a new part that is not f-d up and fits and works as designed.

I agree with you 100%. Get out of my face. If you're in my face with your BS, you are affecting my life. Go dance naked in your parade in SD far. FAR away from ME.

A guy like this on the other hand, you probably would never know he was gay without making an effort to find out.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-29-2018, 11:40 AM

I get what you're asking. The Bible is VERY clear how God feels about homosexuality in Leviticus, it says a man should not lay with another man as a woman, and calls it an abomination and their blood shall be upon them.

Course the Bible says that women should also be quiet in church, but we have women preachers too so... seems to me that cherry picking what you want to abide by and not abide by in the Bible is the way people do nowadays.

Gunny
01-29-2018, 11:53 AM
I get what you're asking. The Bible is VERY clear how God feels about homosexuality in Leviticus, it says a man should not lay with another man as a woman, and calls it an abomination and their blood shall be upon them.

Course the Bible says that women should also be quiet in church, but we have women preachers too so... seems to me that cherry picking what you want to abide by and not abide by in the Bible is the way people do nowadays.I was kind of looking for a Christian answer. Leviticus is Old Testament Jewish Law. Which is fine. Christ states he came to fulfill God's Law, not change it. Yet, in many ways he did.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-29-2018, 12:15 PM
I was kind of looking for a Christian answer.
I've asked the same thing many times, Gunny... IDK...

Leviticus is Old Testament Jewish Law. Which is fine. Christ states he came to fulfill God's Law, not change it. Yet, in many ways he did.
Super Christians would argue Christ did no such thing.

https://carm.org/what-did-jesus-teach-about-old-testament

Gunny
01-29-2018, 12:46 PM
I've asked the same thing many times, Gunny... IDK...

Super Christians would argue Christ did no such thing.

https://carm.org/what-did-jesus-teach-about-old-testament
No? I don't recall God telling Moses, Sampson or David to "turn the other cheek". Matter of fact, Saul fell into disfavor with God for sparing a village.

Abbey Marie
01-29-2018, 12:48 PM
I was kind of looking for a Christian answer. Leviticus is Old Testament Jewish Law. Which is fine. Christ states he came to fulfill God's Law, not change it. Yet, in many ways he did.

Also quoted by Paul in Romans, I believe. Making it a NT verse as well.

Gunny
01-29-2018, 12:51 PM
Also quoted by Paul in Romans, I believe. Making it a NT verse as well.Not to be nit-picky .... BUT ...:laugh:

Got a verse in Romans? I don't doubt you. I would like to check out the context. Was it Christ who quoted Leviticus?

Gunny
01-29-2018, 12:53 PM
Also ... Leviticus 21 and 17 I believe are almost identical except one says "he shall surely be put to death" and one omits that punishment.

Abbey Marie
01-29-2018, 01:01 PM
Not to be nit-picky .... BUT ...:laugh:

Got a verse in Romans? I don't doubt you. I would like to check out the context. Was it Christ who quoted Leviticus?

Romans 1:24-27

Gunny
01-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Romans 1:24-27Thank you. Seems pretty clear.

Gunny
01-29-2018, 01:11 PM
The verse also mentions changing God into what he is not. So, one may assume that "gay Christians" just pretend the verse is not there?

STTAB
01-29-2018, 01:27 PM
Oops, I opened this thread thinking it was Gunny coming out of the closet.

Just kidding Gunny

Elessar
01-29-2018, 01:48 PM
It doesn't really answer the question. My being non-judgemental doesn't explain a sexual orientation that defies the religion; yet, calls that religion its own.

I've 3 Gay friends, 2 ladies and one guy. They never went to any of those "Gay Rights" rallies and just blended.
They were conservative and celebrated Christmas.

That might be against the "norm", but I think it's kinda hard to broad-brush it.

Gunny
01-29-2018, 01:49 PM
Oops, I opened this thread thinking it was Gunny coming out of the closet.

Just kidding Gunny:laugh: Not today

Gunny
01-29-2018, 01:53 PM
I've 3 Gay friends, 2 ladies and one guy. They never went to any of those "Gay Rights" rallies and just blended.
They were conservative and celebrated Christmas.

That might be against the "norm", but I think it's kinda hard to broad-brush it.I actually believe it IS the "norm". Who always gets the attention? Attention whores on the left dressing up like rainbows and getting it from other leftwingkooks who get elected President and turn the White House int a bowl of fruit salad. There's no idea how many are actually out there and just don't want the attention that goes with the label.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-29-2018, 02:30 PM
No? I don't recall God telling Moses, Sampson or David to "turn the other cheek". Matter of fact, Saul fell into disfavor with God for sparing a village.
I won't debate it with you, Gunny. I'm not a super Christian. I'm just your simple garden variety believer. I think there's many contradictions in the Bible, but these super Christians will debate that until the cows come home that there's not. The internet and youtube is full of stuff arguing the Bible has no contradictions.

aboutime
01-29-2018, 03:21 PM
Personally. I don't care what any other person does with their life as long as it doesn't injure, or hurt anyone else. And being pragmatic about it...begs the questions...SO WHAT? and WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT IF SOMEONE IS GAY, OR TRANSGENDER?

Answers....NOTHING. Even if they are CHRISTIANS, because...as Christians...aren't we supposed to FORGIVE OTHERS?

If we disagree with someone's chosen way of life. There is nothing we can do about it.
If we insist that they become what WE insist they should be...That is not Christian. That is Hypocrisy.
Finally. As long as someone, no matter what they call themself...doesn't insist I should choose to be like them...or else. They are better off....staying away from me. Period.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-29-2018, 03:35 PM
Personally. I don't care what any other person does with their life as long as it doesn't injure, or hurt anyone else. And being pragmatic about it...begs the questions...SO WHAT? and WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT IT IF SOMEONE IS GAY, OR TRANSGENDER?

Answers....NOTHING. Even if they are CHRISTIANS, because...as Christians...aren't we supposed to FORGIVE OTHERS?

If we disagree with someone's chosen way of life. There is nothing we can do about it.
If we insist that they become what WE insist they should be...That is not Christian. That is Hypocrisy.
Finally. As long as someone, no matter what they call themself...doesn't insist I should choose to be like them...or else. They are better off....staying away from me. Period.
Exactly... I really don't CARE if someone is a homo or not. It's not up to me to judge, but, as Christians were supposed to live by the words in the Bible as true. So if God says it's an abomination, then it is.

GOD will judge them when they die. They can explain it to them how they could conduct themselves in that perverted lifestyle choice and still call themselves Christian.

I don't "forgive" them though either. Forgiveness is not mine to give, it's the Lord's. But the Bible says that all shall be forgiven, and it calls homosexuality an abomination so... there ya go... take it as you will.

aboutime
01-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Exactly... I really don't CARE if someone is a homo or not. It's not up to me to judge, but, as Christians were supposed to live by the words in the Bible as true. So if God says it's an abomination, then it is.

GOD will judge them when they die. They can explain it to them how they could conduct themselves in that perverted lifestyle choice and still call themselves Christian.

I don't "forgive" them though either. Forgiveness is not mine to give, it's the Lord's. But the Bible says that all shall be forgiven, and it calls homosexuality an abomination so... there ya go... take it as you will.

High_Plains. I agree with you. But it is not for me to judge anyone either. God will decide how to handle the Christians who practice the abominations...not me, not you. That's why I said what I said. And I can never forget my father's warning to me....long ago.
"Don't talk politics, or religion!" But...that was long before the INTERNET, and Forums where all of us can express our opinions. Even before I ever heard of the 1ST AMENDMENT.:laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
01-29-2018, 04:03 PM
High_Plains. I agree with you. But it is not for me to judge anyone either. God will decide how to handle the Christians who practice the abominations...not me, not you. That's why I said what I said. And I can never forget my father's warning to me....long ago.
"Don't talk politics, or religion!" But...that was long before the INTERNET, and Forums where all of us can express our opinions. Even before I ever heard of the 1ST AMENDMENT.:laugh:
Yup, let the homos do what they do and call themselves a Christian. I just hope I can witness in Heaven exactly how the Lord judges them. I can't help but think it's not going to be favorable.

I'm not perfect either by any means, but I admit that. I admit I've a broken a Ten Commandment or two, but I don't say I'm a Christian and then pretend the Lord has no problem with it.

If a homosexual says they're a Christian and then wants to pretend God doesn't have a problem with that, then they're not as a good a Christian as they want someone to believe, or they'd admit that what they're doing is an abomination in the Lord's eyes. Part of being a Christian is also being able to admit your sin.

aboutime
01-29-2018, 04:13 PM
Yup, let the homos do what they do and call themselves a Christian. I just hope I can witness in Heaven exactly how the Lord judges them. I can't help but think it's not going to be favorable.

I'm not perfect either by any means, but I admit that. I admit I've a broken a Ten Commandment or two, but I don't say I'm a Christian and then pretend the Lord has no problem with it.

If a homosexual says they're a Christian and then wants to pretend God doesn't have a problem with that, then they're not as a good a Christian as they want someone to believe, or they'd admit that what they're doing is an abomination in the Lord's eyes. Part of being a Christian is also being able to admit your sin.

Think I'll take my Dad's advice on this now. No offense intended. Enough for me.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-29-2018, 04:52 PM
Think I'll take my Dad's advice on this now. No offense intended. Enough for me.
Fair enough, pard.

Just know that I respect your opinion as much as anyone's.

Gunny
01-29-2018, 06:25 PM
I won't debate it with you, Gunny. I'm not a super Christian. I'm just your simple garden variety believer. I think there's many contradictions in the Bible, but these super Christians will debate that until the cows come home that there's not. The internet and youtube is full of stuff arguing the Bible has no contradictions.I wasn't trying to debate it. I know the type. If you aren't a member of their EXACT brand of church you are certainly doomed to an eternity in Hell. I don't waste too much time on Holy Rollers.

darin
01-29-2018, 08:49 PM
....but Christ said "love God and your neighbors"...there is no levitical law affecting Christians. Whether the man likes sex with other men or not, it's wise to question somebody's sincere love for God. If they are not against God, they are for him.

Black Diamond
01-29-2018, 08:53 PM
The verse also mentions changing God into what he is not. So, one may assume that "gay Christians" just pretend the verse is not there?
That is what is done by them and "leftist Christians". Or they say it's mistranslated. As if none of the rest of the Bible is. Only the inconvenient verses.

Black Diamond
01-29-2018, 08:55 PM
Also quoted by Paul in Romans, I believe. Making it a NT verse as well.
Best me to it. Talk about inconvenient truth.

Gunny
01-29-2018, 08:56 PM
....but Christ said "love God and your neighbors"...there is no levitical law affecting Christians. Whether the man likes sex with other men or not, it's wise to question somebody's sincere love for God. If they are not against God, they are for him.I don't think about it much at all ... until YOU brought it up :poke:. i was just curious as to what scripture actually states, so I asked the Abbey the Scripture Guru.

What's between a person and their God is between them. No one else can stand in for that one.

Black Diamond
01-29-2018, 09:02 PM
I don't think about it much at all ... until YOU brought it up :poke:. i was just curious as to what scripture actually states, so I asked the Abbey the Scripture Guru.

What's between a person and their God is between them. No one else can stand in for that one.
A lot of people are gonna be shocked. Make those leftists look like they were ready for President Trump.

aboutime
01-29-2018, 09:26 PM
I cannot honestly remember the number of times I have been cornered, or approached by fellow sailors during my years in the Navy. Almost every command ashore, and afloat where I served; I ran into someone who repeated those ever familiar words "Have you been born again?"

As soon as I heard those words. I instantly told them. "Look. I believe in God, and I am a Christian. So I don't need to be reborn again, and again." To which the response was something like "You should do it again!" or something like that. So, I told them. "This isn't the right place, or time to be talking about this. No more okay?"

I am gonna be 71 in a couple weeks. Does anyone out there really think, or believe BY NOW, I haven't learned as much as I can about my FAITH, and a GOD....so many people deny????

In other words. My religion, and my beliefs are MINE. Nobody else's. You take care of you. And I'll take care of me.

I will follow my Father's advice not to talk religion. Maybe we all should too!

Abbey Marie
01-30-2018, 01:54 PM
I don't think about it much at all ... until YOU brought it up :poke:. i was just curious as to what scripture actually states, so I asked the Abbey the Scripture Guru.

I am not a Scripture guru! I was just reading Acts and Romans and recalled there was a pretty intense verse about homosexuality.
One that many people want to deny exists.

Abbey Marie
01-30-2018, 02:02 PM
I cannot honestly remember the number of times I have been cornered, or approached by fellow sailors during my years in the Navy. Almost every command ashore, and afloat where I served; I ran into someone who repeated those ever familiar words "Have you been born again?"

As soon as I heard those words. I instantly told them. "Look. I believe in God, and I am a Christian. So I don't need to be reborn again, and again." To which the response was something like "You should do it again!" or something like that. So, I told them. "This isn't the right place, or time to be talking about this. No more okay?"

I am gonna be 71 in a couple weeks. Does anyone out there really think, or believe BY NOW, I haven't learned as much as I can about my FAITH, and a GOD....so many people deny????

In other words. My religion, and my beliefs are MINE. Nobody else's. You take care of you. And I'll take care of me.

I will follow my Father's advice not to talk religion. Maybe we all should too!

i hear you AT about people being over-zealous with it. It ends up turning people off to the very thing they are trying to accomplish.

I don’t fault them for evangelizing. It seems pretty clear that we are called to do so. How we do it is another story. I think living your life in such a way that people want to ask you about your beliefs is the best way. And the hardest. I’ve known few people like that.

I also keep in mind that people evangelizing are usually doing it out of love for God and for you. Not so horrible when you think about it.

aboutime
01-30-2018, 03:20 PM
i hear you AT about people being over-zealous with it. It ends up turning people off to the very thing they are trying to accomplish.

I don’t fault them for evangelizing. It seems pretty clear that we are called to do so. How we do it is another story. I think living your life in such a way that people want to ask you about your beliefs is the best way. And the hardest. I’ve known few people like that.

I also keep in mind that people evangelizing are usually doing it out of love for God and for you. Not so horrible when you think about it.

Right Abbey. I guess my main point was....there's a proper place, and time for that kind of sharing. Not when you are confined to the tiny spaces on a ship at sea during duty, or in an office where Official Government business is being conducted.
It's not horrible by any means. But, as you said. It does tend to turn people off to otherwise, good, Christian deeds of inclusiveness, and love.
Now, I go back to taking my father's advice. Remembering...You cannot win with religion or politics. They are both...never-ending.