PDA

View Full Version : What to do? Luggage

jimnyc
01-31-2018, 04:19 PM
So in preparation for going to Alaska, I bought a new piece of luggage that I could use as a carry on. It's one of those metal looking suckers, fully zippered and with a TSA compliant lock and has plenty of inside room. What I like best is the wheels, it has the spinner wheels so that you barely have to do anything to push it around.

Well I unboxed it today and damn, that sucker looks huge!! So it got me thinking, just how big of a bag are you allowed to bring as a carry on, and then stuff in the overhead bin. Perhaps something I may have wanted to check out prior to buying!

This is a 29" sucker, where the majority of airlines only allow up to 22". Of course it's also too large for the width as well, just too large all the way around. I still love it, and should get many years of use out of it for traveling when not flying, but I HATE checking bags in. I hate to wait, on both sides, and am worried about baggage arriving. When we got married in St. Lucia, our luggage didn't arrive with us, and the woman had her wedding dress in there!! It didn't arrive for 48 hours after we got there. :(

So do I check in and take chances? I think I may just use the same as last time as I know that one worked. :(

hjmick
01-31-2018, 04:28 PM
Box up what you want to take, ship it UPS, take a carry-on with clothes for a couple of days just in case, box up the dirty clothes at the end of your trip and UPS them back home.

You're welcome.

jimnyc
01-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Box up what you want to take, ship it UPS, take a carry-on with clothes for a couple of days just in case, box up the dirty clothes at the end of your trip and UPS them back home.

You're welcome.

Ya know, I thought of that. Then I just looked up prices, and yikes! I put in large box, 25lbs and no insurance (just to see), both addresses - and this is the options:

$286.20 for overnight air

$184.12 UPS 2nd day air

And then oddly enough - "UPS Ground is not available for your selected Packaging Type. "

And then Fedex, very similar.

$294.10 overnight

$182.53 for 2nd day air

And odd again - FedEx ground not available.

Needless to say, Jim will either wait for baggage, or take old bag. :)

jimnyc
01-31-2018, 04:42 PM
And holy shit!!!

NightTrain

How the F much money did Sharon spend on sending me that care package last year? I had no idea. Now I gotta repay. Gas is on me of course of the machines. Liquor and beer will be our first stop on the way, on me. And let's hit the market for some fat steaks on the way, on me. :)

NightTrain
01-31-2018, 05:05 PM
Lol

Don't worry about it man. We've got it covered.

jimnyc
01-31-2018, 05:12 PM
Lol

Don't worry about it man. We've got it covered.

Well, we're gonna have a blast this time, lotsa food and lotsa booze and lotsa beer and lotsa whatever else we can get away with!!

Kathianne
01-31-2018, 05:16 PM
And holy shit!!!

@NightTrain (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=89)

How the F much money did Sharon spend on sending me that care package last year? I had no idea. Now I gotta repay. Gas is on me of course of the machines. Liquor and beer will be our first stop on the way, on me. And let's hit the market for some fat steaks on the way, on me. :)
See Jim, that is why you get repeat invitations. ;) You are a good guy. I'm like you, just assume that folks sending things are normal for them, THEN I find out the costs! :yikes: So yeah, I hear you!

Abbey Marie
01-31-2018, 05:16 PM
Well, we're gonna have a blast this time, lotsa food and lotsa booze and lotsa beer and lotsa whatever else we can get away with!!

Will you stop!!!!!

:(:(:(

Kathianne
01-31-2018, 05:17 PM
:laugh2:
Will you stop!!!!!

:(:(:(

Kathianne
01-31-2018, 05:20 PM
I hate to drag this back on topic, but I bought the spinning wheels luggage too. Love it-have now made 3 trips with it. I have to check my bags, shoulder. :( Yeah, I know some nice guy would lift it up, but my 'time issues' would have me freaking out! I've been lucky, never had baggage issues, so there's that. In fact, it works for me. I get to off the plane, race through the terminal and find the doors closest to luggage area. Call the kid that's picking me up, tell them wait 20 min, then come. (They hang at the kiss and drop). I run out, have a smoke, get my luggage, my ride awaits. ;)

Abbey Marie
01-31-2018, 05:48 PM
So in preparation for going to Alaska, I bought a new piece of luggage that I could use as a carry on. It's one of those metal looking suckers, fully zippered and with a TSA compliant lock and has plenty of inside room. What I like best is the wheels, it has the spinner wheels so that you barely have to do anything to push it around.

Well I unboxed it today and damn, that sucker looks huge!! So it got me thinking, just how big of a bag are you allowed to bring as a carry on, and then stuff in the overhead bin. Perhaps something I may have wanted to check out prior to buying!

This is a 29" sucker, where the majority of airlines only allow up to 22". Of course it's also too large for the width as well, just too large all the way around. I still love it, and should get many years of use out of it for traveling when not flying, but I HATE checking bags in. I hate to wait, on both sides, and am worried about baggage arriving. When we got married in St. Lucia, our luggage didn't arrive with us, and the woman had her wedding dress in there!! It didn't arrive for 48 hours after we got there. :(

So do I check in and take chances? I think I may just use the same as last time as I know that one worked. :(

Take a smaller bag and wear Rick's clothes? :laugh2:

If I were you I'd buy a carry-on sized bag and save the big boy for car trips. I never check luggage; even when I've gone to Europe.

jimnyc
01-31-2018, 05:52 PM
See Jim, that is why you get repeat invitations. ;) You are a good guy. I'm like you, just assume that folks sending things are normal for them, THEN I find out the costs! :yikes: So yeah, I hear you!

Yeah, I felt bad last year as I only was able to buy the gas, a tad of food I think? And the conservatory or whatever. But for the trip of a lifetime? I got more than a bargain! So this go round, gotta make sure I don't get left out in the cold in the middle of Alaska by outwearing my welcome! :)

It'll be lots of fun for sure!! And I know I want to use and abuse one of the snowMOBILES, so I'll be prepared to $$ my way. :)

This is how I picture myself:

https://i.imgur.com/f3RDvEW.gif

But in reality, this may end up being me. :)

https://i.imgur.com/8gCeb3P.gif

jimnyc
01-31-2018, 05:53 PM
I hate to drag this back on topic, but I bought the spinning wheels luggage too. Love it-have now made 3 trips with it. I have to check my bags, shoulder. :( Yeah, I know some nice guy would lift it up, but my 'time issues' would have me freaking out! I've been lucky, never had baggage issues, so there's that. In fact, it works for me. I get to off the plane, race through the terminal and find the doors closest to luggage area. Call the kid that's picking me up, tell them wait 20 min, then come. (They hang at the kiss and drop). I run out, have a smoke, get my luggage, my ride awaits. ;)

My older luggage is on wheels, but just 2 on the backside, so you have to let it trail behind you when using, and the damn thing flips over on me if moving too quickly. These spinner bags allow you to go in any direction, and you can also hold it upright in front of you. I love them!

jimnyc
01-31-2018, 05:54 PM

If I were you I'd buy a carry-on sized bag and save the big boy for car trips. I never check luggage; even when I've gone to Europe.

Yeah, I'm going with a smaller carry on.

And I will be using some of his stuff, whatever I can't squish into my bags, like a snow outfit for when on the machines for starters!

Gunny
01-31-2018, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I felt bad last year as I only was able to buy the gas, a tad of food I think? And the conservatory or whatever. But for the trip of a lifetime? I got more than a bargain! So this go round, gotta make sure I don't get left out in the cold in the middle of Alaska by outwearing my welcome! :)

It'll be lots of fun for sure!! And I know I want to use and abuse one of the snowMOBILES, so I'll be prepared to $$ my way. :)

This is how I picture myself:

https://i.imgur.com/f3RDvEW.gif

But in reality, this may end up being me. :)

https://i.imgur.com/8gCeb3P.gifI hope Rick's got a camera if you stick your dumb ass to a pole. You'd never hear the end of it. I promise. :happy0203:

NightTrain
01-31-2018, 11:29 PM

I'm pretty sure that I've got plenty of gear for Jim. Cold weather gear covers lots of sizes!