PDA

View Full Version : Bart Starr us the greatest quarterback ever.

Black Diamond
02-05-2018, 02:17 AM
I don't think so. But using the model of most "rings " as seems to be in fashion today.

starr was seven titles including the first two Super Bowls.

that makes him better than Montana and Brady.

Abbey Marie
02-05-2018, 03:39 AM
That's a point. The ring is earned as a team. An individual can be a great talent surrounded by lesser players, or have seasons full of injuries, resulting in fewer rings.

pete311
02-05-2018, 10:05 AM
I'm a packer fan, but no, starr is not the best ever

Gunny
02-05-2018, 10:10 AM
The "Best Quarterback Ever" is the quarterback in your mind that made you happy when you watched football. Eons ago when it was a real game. :)

Anyway, there is no best quarterback ever and never will be. Terry Bradshaw was my favorite quarterback and he was WAY far from the best :laugh:

Black Diamond
08-24-2018, 09:08 PM
The "Best Quarterback Ever" is the quarterback in your mind that made you happy when you watched football. Eons ago when it was a real game. :)

Anyway, there is no best quarterback ever and never will be. Terry Bradshaw was my favorite quarterback and he was WAY far from the best :laugh:
Jim McMahon.

Gunny
08-24-2018, 09:28 PM
Jim McMahon.You're REALLY digging through some O-L-D threads.

I liked a lot of QBs/players for a variety of reasons. QBs depend a lot on the team around them, and again, who you liked when you watched the game. I outgrew pro football when I was a teen. Loosely followed/take-it-or-leave-it since.

I boycotted last year, and will continue to do so as long as players are allowed to "protest anyway".

Younger people tend to forget that the NFL existed before them. Hell, Roman Gabriel wouldn't know how to play in today's QB protected game. He couldn't complete a pass without at least 3 guys hanging off him. :)

Black Diamond
08-24-2018, 09:30 PM
You're REALLY digging through some O-L-D threads.

I liked a lot of QBs/players for a variety of reasons. QBs depend a lot on the team around them, and again, who you liked when you watched the game. I outgrew pro football when I was a teen. Loosely followed/take-it-or-leave-it since.

I boycotted last year, and will continue to do so as long as players are allowed to "protest anyway".

Younger people tend to forget that the NFL existed before them. Hell, Roman Gabriel wouldn't know how to play in today's QB protected game. He couldn't complete a pass without at least 3 guys hanging off him. :)
Yeah. I was curious about the running so I went down the list of all the threads I had started to find it and caught a few threads that piqued my interest. :).

Gunny
08-24-2018, 10:34 PM
Speaking of QBs ... I always liked Don Meredith. I didn't know he was dead. Shows how much I pay attention ....

jimnyc
08-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Way too hard to narrow it down to one. But Brady, as much as I hate him, not only has all the rings, but also holds a lot of career & individual season stats records.

But in addition to him, and of course MY favorite in Bradshaw and his own 4 rings, I would also rank...

Joe Montana has to be in the discussion. Roger Staubach, as much as I detested him as the enemy! John Elway. The best without any glitter to show for it - Dan Marino. Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, another old timer in Johnny Unitas. And if including the pre-bowl era, can't leave out Sammy Baugh & Otto Graham. And hell, I don't even really know much about the old timer, just rankings and stories over the years, but of course all well before my time.

Black Diamond
08-24-2018, 11:28 PM
Way too hard to narrow it down to one. But Brady, as much as I hate him, not only has all the rings, but also holds a lot of career & individual season stats records.

But in addition to him, and of course MY favorite in Bradshaw and his own 4 rings, I would also rank...

Joe Montana has to be in the discussion. Roger Staubach, as much as I detested him as the enemy! John Elway. The best without any glitter to show for it - Dan Marino. Brett Favre, Peyton Manning, another old timer in Johnny Unitas. And if including the pre-bowl era, can't leave out Sammy Baugh & Otto Graham. And hell, I don't even really know much about the old timer, just rankings and stories over the years, but of course all well before my time.
Bart Starr won seven "rings ". But no one mentions him. That's what I find odd. It seems to be Montana vs Brady because of championships. There's this talk of Brady moving ahead of Montana because he has one more ring. But what about Starr? He hasn't eclipsed his number of titles.

Elessar
08-25-2018, 12:37 AM
On the other side of the coin, one of the greatest quarterbacks to never
win a championship was Sonny Jurgensen.

He could stand flat-footed and throw end zone to end zone, his arm was that strong.

I think it was Deacon Jones (I cannot recall, it's been a while) that said "you just did NOT
tackle Sonny. He was such a gentleman on the field that I just wrap him up and lay him down".

FakeNewsSux
08-25-2018, 01:40 AM
Full disclosure, I was born one month before the opening of and 50 miles from Lambeau Field. I don't recall the back to back championships against the Giants in '61 & '62 but was a full on fanatic for the three-peat of '65-'67. I am also a Packer shareholder. I agree that Bart Starr is not the greatest quarterback of all time but I would definitely rank him in the top five. The position of quarterback was different back in the 60's. The QB called all of the plays, they were fair game to some of the most vicious linebackers and d-linemen in the history of the game and their receivers were not allowed unmolested routes downfield. Among his contemporaries, only Johnny Unitas is consistently rated ahead of him (even though he had only one championship with nearly equal talent). He was 9-1 career in the playoffs, still holds the highest career playoff QB rating (104.8), retired with an NFL best completion percentage and held the Packer record for total games played for 32 years (until Bret Favre passed him). In summary, he didn't have the greatest arm but he was the ultimate big game field general. Vince Lombardi, when he was head coach of the Washington Redskins, was asked who was the greatest quarterback of all time. He responded that Unitas was a special player but all Bart Starr ever did was win. That's good enough for me.

Abbey Marie
08-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Full disclosure, I was born one month before the opening of and 50 miles from Lambeau Field. I don't recall the back to back championships against the Giants in '61 & '62 but was a full on fanatic for the three-peat of '65-'67. I am also a Packer shareholder. I agree that Bart Starr is not the greatest quarterback of all time but I would definitely rank him in the top five. The position of quarterback was different back in the 60's. The QB called all of the plays, they were fair game to some of the most vicious linebackers and d-linemen in the history of the game and their receivers were not allowed unmolested routes downfield. Among his contemporaries, only Johnny Unitas is consistently rated ahead of him (even though he had only one championship with nearly equal talent). He was 9-1 career in the playoffs, still holds the highest career playoff QB rating (104.8), retired with an NFL best completion percentage and held the Packer record for total games played for 32 years (until Bret Favre passed him). In summary, he didn't have the greatest arm but he was the ultimate big game field general. Vince Lombardi, when he was head coach of the Washington Redskins, was asked who was the greatest quarterback of all time. He responded that Unitas was a special player but all Bart Starr ever did was win. That's good enough for me.

Perhaps there should a “Best QB” named for each decade.

Gunny
08-25-2018, 05:40 PM
Perhaps there should a “Best QB” named for each decade.I think it would still be the same thing. All due respects to Fauxnews, but the Packers would have been "packin'" it home after the Ice Bowl if they'd had instant replay back then :poke:.

I do agree with his assessment of the "times" though. For instance .... Tony Romo. If he had even made the team in the 60s -- a BIG "if" -- the first time Butkus hit his pansy a$$ he'd have been out for the rest of his one and only season. A LOT of today's receivers wouldn't have lasted long. And where would all the records be without "turf"?

I LOVED watching games in Dec in the mud. Matter of fact, I loved PLAYING in them :happy0203: Best way to destroy a game is for it to become popular with the public. Well, ruin anything for that matter.

I was surprised to find on youtube some clip about longest or baddest or meanest or whatever rivalries and the ones WE think are rivalvries fall behind teams like the Eagles, Giants and Browns who have been apparently player-hating longer than anyone thought. They just haven't been rivalries during our time.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2018, 08:42 PM
OK... THREAD HIJACK... what's a quarter back? ... :laugh:

Fuck football, and the blind mule those ass clowns rode in on. They piss on my flag and national anthem, they sure as hell won't be on my TV.

Now carry on, and ban me from the thread for hihacking it... but before you do, I'll say sorry... I just couldn't control myself... I plead temporary insanity... ;)

FakeNewsSux
08-25-2018, 08:42 PM
I think it would still be the same thing. All due respects to Fauxnews, but the Packers would have been "packin'" it home after the Ice Bowl if they'd had instant replay back then :poke:.

I do agree with his assessment of the "times" though. For instance .... Tony Romo. If he had even made the team in the 60s -- a BIG "if" -- the first time Butkus hit his pansy a$$ he'd have been out for the rest of his one and only season. A LOT of today's receivers wouldn't have lasted long. And where would all the records be without "turf"?

I LOVED watching games in Dec in the mud. Matter of fact, I loved PLAYING in them :happy0203: Best way to destroy a game is for it to become popular with the public. Well, ruin anything for that matter.

I was surprised to find on youtube some clip about longest or baddest or meanest or whatever rivalries and the ones WE think are rivalvries fall behind teams like the Eagles, Giants and Browns who have been apparently player-hating longer than anyone thought. They just haven't been rivalries during our time.

I still vividly recall sitting around the old black and white Zenith with my dad and two brothers watching the Ice Bowl 50 miles south of Green Bay. It was cold that day. I remember that dad had turned the gas oven on and left the door open in the kitchen to help out the old furnace!

I do agree with the December games in the mud. The '65 championship game in Green Bay over Cleveland truly was a classic. Browns the defending champs, snow and ice covered field that quickly turned to mud, Jim Brown's final game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vo4bgSX_I

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2018, 08:48 PM
I still vividly recall sitting around the old black and white Zenith with my dad and two brothers watching the Ice Bowl 50 miles south of Green Bay. It was cold that day. I remember that dad had turned the gas oven on and left the door open in the kitchen to help out the old furnace!

I do agree with the December games in the mud. The '65 championship game in Green Bay over Cleveland truly was a classic. Browns the defending champs, snow and ice covered field that quickly turned to mud, Jim Brown's final game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8vo4bgSX_I
I was ten years old. I remember that game too. Back then we ALL watched the Pack here in Wisconsin. The most faithful fans in football are Packer Backers. It's the only team in the NFL that the fans own the team.

FakeNewsSux
08-25-2018, 09:09 PM

Our greatest rivalry is with the Bears (which ranks 2nd in NFL championships with 9, behind Green Bay with 13) To give you an idea how deep the rivalry goes, I thought you might like to hear the theme song throughout Wisconsin every Bears weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1VQotKfU0g

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2018, 09:27 PM
An EPIC Wisconsin tune... mentions the Packers...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVS-_W-yii0

Black Diamond
08-25-2018, 09:43 PM
Our greatest rivalry is with the Bears (which ranks 2nd in NFL championships with 9, behind Green Bay with 13) To give you an idea how deep the rivalry goes, I thought you might like to hear the theme song throughout Wisconsin every Bears weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1VQotKfU0g
There was a time when I would have negged your ass into oblivion. :cool:

Gunny
08-25-2018, 10:12 PM
I was ten years old. I remember that game too. Back then we ALL watched the Pack here in Wisconsin. The most faithful fans in football are Packer Backers.Debatable. I for one don't get and might have gotten for a year or two when I was about 10 die-hard fans but they don't seem to be limited to any one team.

The thing I like about the Packers is the people and the city own the team. Jerry Jones would move the Cowboys to Tehran if he could make enough money off it. I have one Cowboys ball cap left from before Jones buying the team. I refuse to buy Cowboys merchandise because of Jones, and that's extended to NFL merchandise the past two seasons.

It annoyed(s) the crap out of me when owners move teams. The cities are dumb as f*ck about it too. Cleveland spent more money getting the Browns name and building a new stadium than had they given Modell what he wanted. Conversely, Modell got less from Baltimore than the Browns did in the end.

We didn't get to see any of those Northern Midwest games when I was a kid. Not to mention my dad didn't like pro football so we were lucky to see a game period. Then it was the local team wherever we were stationed.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-26-2018, 06:54 PM
The thing I like about the Packers is the people and the city own the team.
Yup... that's why they've always said that the most faithful fans of any football team are the Packer fans.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christinasettimi/2016/09/14/the-green-bay-packers-have-the-nfls-best-fans/#2efa0b9a19bd

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1401096-10-reasons-the-packers-have-the-best-fans-in-the-nfl#slide0

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/fans/2016/09/08/researcher-shows-packers-fans-different/89724630/

I would LIKE to watch Packer games, but I'm sticking to my guns. So long as this pissing on our flag and national anthem goes on, no NFL will be on my TV. As a veteran, and my brother being a veteran, and my Dad being a veteran, God rest their souls, and my son being a veteran, I just can't stomach the sons a bitches kneeling, fists in the air, etc. They can kiss my ass right where it's deep, dark and bitter. (My brother used to say that.)