PDA

View Full Version : Judge Rules Bakeshop Owner Doesn’t Have To Bake Wedding Cake For Gay Couple

jimnyc
02-06-2018, 02:28 PM
So look at that, so there is at least one common sense judge who paid attention in law school! And from Cali no less!!

---

Judge Rules Bakeshop Owner Doesn’t Have To Bake Wedding Cake For Gay Couple

A California judge ruled Monday the state couldn’t force a cake shop owner to bake a cake for a gay couple’s wedding, ruling that doing so would constitute a violation of free speech.

Superior Court Judge David Lampe denied the State of California’s request for a preliminary injunction that sought to force bakeshop owner Cathy Miller to design a wedding cake for a gay couple.

“For this court to force such compliance would do violence to the essentials of Free Speech guaranteed under the First Amendment,” Lampe ruled, according to a press release sent to The Daily Caller News Foundation. The injunction also posited that if Miller refused to design the cake, the state would force her to close her Tastries Bakery shop altogether.

“We are pleased that the judge recognized that the First Amendment protects Cathy’s freedom of speech,” chief counsel and Freedom of Conscience Defense Fund (FCDF) president, Charles LiMandri, said after the ruling, the press release reports. LiMandri argued in Friday’s court hearing that Miller doesn’t discriminate against same-sex couples, but refuses to use her artistic talents to express a message that conflicts with her religious beliefs about marriage.

Rest - http://dailycaller.com/2018/02/06/cake-shop-owner-wedding-cake-gay-couple/

Taco Junkie
02-06-2018, 02:32 PM
*ifornians' heads will be exploding over this. I hope literally.

Gunny
02-06-2018, 03:03 PM
I think it's stupid to try and force someone to bake a cake for a gay couple. Next the Dems will try discrimination based on not having enough money to pay for the cake :rolleyes:

I've refused to do work in an abortion clinic. I can find another job. I'm not doing anything to facilitate murder.

gabosaurus
02-06-2018, 06:08 PM
Stupid case to begin with. A private business can decide who it wants to do business with.

Gunny
02-06-2018, 06:42 PM
Stupid case to begin with. A private business can decide who it wants to do business with.That is apparently dependent on which judge you draw from where.

Russ
02-06-2018, 09:02 PM
What ticks me off is that the gay couples with these lawsuits are not seeking reparations for any "damages" they've actually suffered. There are no damages. They could very easily get the cake design they want at lots of bakeries, but they decided to go looking for a bad-guy Christian baker that wouldn't design the cake for them. That way they can get in the news, get a couple 100 thousand in a lawsuit, and force some Christian baker to go bankrupt and lose their store.

Strangely, I never see gay couples bring lawsuits against Muslim businesses. Why is that?

Taco Junkie
02-07-2018, 10:36 AM
What ticks me off is that the gay couples with these lawsuits are not seeking reparations for any "damages" they've actually suffered. There are no damages. They could very easily get the cake design they want at lots of bakeries, but they decided to go looking for a bad-guy Christian baker that wouldn't design the cake for them. That way they can get in the news, get a couple 100 thousand in a lawsuit, and force some Christian baker to go bankrupt and lose their store.

Strangely, I never see gay couples bring lawsuits against Muslim businesses. Why is that?

Cuz the muzzes will kill em.

Elessar
02-07-2018, 11:57 AM
Many liberals faces pucker up and their brains go into over ride when they view a certain common sign:

"We Reserve The Right to Deny Service to Anyone"

mundame
02-07-2018, 01:24 PM
I've refused to do work in an abortion clinic. I can find another job. I'm not doing anything to facilitate murder.

Right ---- and no one would try to force you to do that, and it's this having to do the work itself that this excellent new decision hangs on. If the baker had cakes already made and sitting in the case, ANYONE could by law buy one. What they cannot do is force slave labor out of this baker. Same exact thing I would think with wedding venues that take a lot of labor and planning and effort by the wedding company people.

This so works for me. It's why I study ethics texts these days --- once in awhile someone comes up with a GREAT new thought. This totally solves the issue. Good judge. We need more like that.

mundame
02-07-2018, 01:26 PM

Yeah, it's the sheer meanness of it all that offends me. Leftists are so NASTY.

Russ
02-07-2018, 01:33 PM
Cuz the muzzes will kill em.

I think you might have hit the nail on the head, TJ. Another possibility is that they consider Muslims to be another 'victim group' that has been wronged by bad-guy Christians, but you are probably right.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-09-2018, 04:13 AM
Score one for the good guys, and a loss for the homo mafia... sickening bastards.

Taco Junkie
02-09-2018, 11:39 AM
I think you might have hit the nail on the head, TJ. Another possibility is that they consider Muslims to be another 'victim group' that has been wronged by bad-guy Christians, but you are probably right.

You are probably more correct on this than I am Russ but there are times I wish the mooselams would show their true colors on those sheep. But their leaders are cunning and very patient. If it takes them two more centuries to win, they will ride it out and continue to infect and grow their cancer within us.

Taco Junkie
02-09-2018, 11:40 AM
Score one for the good guys, and a loss for the homo mafia... sickening bastards.

:lol::laugh::clap:

Beefeater
02-09-2018, 01:19 PM
If I were a baker, I'd bake cakes for homos in the shape of a wiener covered in fudge. I'd call it "The Sodomite Special". It's filled with whipped cream and plastique, you bite into it and the whipped cream explodes in your mouth. And then you die of AIDS because the whipped cream also contains the HIV virus.

Black Diamond
02-09-2018, 01:24 PM
And you'd put gravy on it.