PDA

View Full Version : Jim's 2018 Iditarod

NightTrain
02-12-2018, 12:18 PM
Jim will be attending his first Iditarod here in a couple of weeks. Here's a write up in the local rag about it :

The Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race will restart in Willow next month and follow the southern route for the first time since 2013, race officials confirmed Friday.

Typically, Iditarod teams travel the southern route in odd-numbered years and the northern one in even-numbered years, but low snow and poor trail conditions pushed the official race start north to Fairbanks in 2015 and 2017.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11232&stc=1

Much of the northern and southern Iditarod routes align, except for about a 300-mile stretch between Ophir and Kaltag. The southern trail snakes south through the Interior Alaska villages of Iditarod, Shageluk, Anvik, Grayling and Eagle Island.

"Everything's really good," Mark Nordman, Iditarod race director, said of trail conditions. "The cold snap really helped."

Crews have continued to fix up the trail over the past several weeks, removing downed trees and updating trail markers, Nordman said. Next week, a crew will work on the Dalzell Gorge, a notoriously perilous stretch of trail between Rainy Pass and the next checkpoint of Rohn.

The 2018 Iditarod will hold its ceremonial start in Anchorage March 3 and will officially start in Willow the next day.

If conditions allow, the Iditarod will also follow the southern route in 2019.

According to the Iditarod website, the southern route measures an estimated 998 miles, while the northern route measures 975 miles and the Fairbanks route 979 miles.

So on Sunday, March 4th, we'll be out on snowmachines at the Yentna checkpoint with a bonfire beside the Iditarod Trail cheering on the mushers and handing them a brewski when they go by.

Maybe I'll spike Jim's beer with something so he can be the first one in history to get run over by a dog sled team. I'll be sure to Go-Pro it in HD.

Elessar
02-12-2018, 01:17 PM
That looks like a great adventure, but not for the faint of heart!

High_Plains_Drifter
02-12-2018, 01:20 PM
I'd love to go to Nome someday. Wyatt Earp and his woman Josephine lived up there for a little while back in the gold rush days, owned a saloon. But I'd also like to meet some of the "Bering Sea Gold" folks...

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/bering-sea-gold/

Elessar
02-12-2018, 01:23 PM
I'd love to go to Nome someday. Wyatt Earp and his woman Josephine lived up there for a little while back in the gold rush days, owned a saloon. But I'd also like to meet some of the "Bering Sea Gold" folks...

https://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/bering-sea-gold/

NT tends to tempt and tease non-city folk!:laugh:

Gunny
02-12-2018, 04:37 PM
I'd feel sorry for NT but he asked for it :slap:

Don't be surprised if we hear Jim "fell out" of the sled about halfway ...:laugh:

jimnyc
02-12-2018, 05:59 PM
Jim will be attending his first Iditarod here in a couple of weeks. Here's a write up in the local rag about it :

So on Sunday, March 4th, we'll be out on snowmachines at the Yentna checkpoint with a bonfire beside the Iditarod Trail cheering on the mushers and handing them a brewski when they go by.

Maybe I'll spike Jim's beer with something so he can be the first one in history to get run over by a dog sled team. I'll be sure to Go-Pro it in HD.

Really looking forward to seeing you and Sharon again! And then this time, snow ice and "snowmobiles"! Bears will be hibernating still, I hope, so maybe getting eaten will be one less worry this time. :)

I'll just be in heaven, sitting back with some good Alaskan beer, and watching some of my favorite dogs sled on by for awhile. Just chilling and watching will be good enough there for me.

Of course what I'm really looking forward to is doing some good riding. A pocketful of gas money and we're good to go I hope!!

Don't be surprised if we hear Jim "fell out" of the sled about halfway ...:laugh:

Nah, I go into panic and anxiety mode most likely, so I'll be kinda subdued and laid back. I don't always travel well. But with some alcohol, well now that changes everything. Rick and Sharon will be my brother and sister within a few hours. :) :)

Gunny
02-12-2018, 06:03 PM
Really looking forward to seeing you and Sharon again! And then this time, snow ice and "snowmobiles"! Bears will be hibernating still, I hope, so maybe getting eaten will be one less worry this time. :)

I'll just be in heaven, sitting back with some good Alaskan beer, and watching some of my favorite dogs sled on by for awhile. Just chilling and watching will be good enough there for me.

Of course what I'm really looking forward to is doing some good riding. A pocketful of gas money and we're good to go I hope!!

Nah, I go into panic and anxiety mode most likely, so I'll be kinda subdued and laid back. I don't always travel well. But with some alcohol, well now that changes everything. Rick and Sharon will be my brother and sister within a few hours. :) :)Just what you need in freezing weather ... some booze. I tend to disagree with the theory that you'll freeze quicker with alcohol in your blood. Everything could be frozen outside and my Jack would be just the right temp :)

You can test the theory :)

jimnyc
02-12-2018, 06:13 PM
Just what you need in freezing weather ... some booze. I tend to disagree with the theory that you'll freeze quicker with alcohol in your blood. Everything could be frozen outside and my Jack would be just the right temp :)

You can test the theory :)

Oh I know, I've tested that theory before! And while it may not truly warm you, it sure does feel that way, and that's good enough for me! :)

And dropping the beer next to me in some snow - nothing better than when your beer is literally ice cold!

Abbey Marie
02-12-2018, 06:13 PM

I don't think Jim is doing any dog sledding. Just observing.

jimnyc
02-12-2018, 06:15 PM
I don't think Jim is doing any dog sledding. Just observing.

Oh no, no sled for me! I'd rather let the doggies hop in the warm car with me than sled behind them. :)

High_Plains_Drifter
02-12-2018, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't mix many barley pops with a modern snowmobile either, 'cause most of them are faster'n shit. Best not to operate one buzzed probably.

My nephew in MT has a couple Polaris mountain machines, which have a much longer track than like the usual sled around here, and these things are bad ass. I think they're both 800's, but both have OVER a hundred frickin' horse power, and will do well over 100 mph. Wouldn't want to ride one of those things lit. I could probably guarantee you I'd crash it... :laugh:

The red and black one is his older one, which is still a newer sled, and the black and white one is his new sled... the black and white one has more horse power than the other one. Might even be a 900 or 1,000cc, not sure.

https://image.ibb.co/fEokfn/IMG_0189.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/kyknt7/IMG_0190.jpg

aboutime
02-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Glad to see you are having a good time...on a snowmobile, or in a car.

Being on a sled, and looking at the BACK ENDS of dog's...is for other Dogs!!!:laugh::laugh::freezing: