PDA

View Full Version : Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

jimnyc
02-12-2018, 03:32 PM
I love this idea!! I hope they can do similar with all welfare type programs. Change any cash/cards type stuff, into only allowing for the products and such that they need. This would end a LOT of the abuse.

--

Trump Budget Swaps Food Stamps for '100 Percent American' Food

In what would be one of the biggest shakeups of the U.S. food-stamp program in its five-decade history, President Donald Trump is proposing to slash cash payments and substitute them with "100 percent American grown food" given to recipients.

The changes, outlined Monday in Trump's budget proposal, would reshape the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, which supports roughly one in eight Americans, by reducing cash spending by about one-third from current levels.

The plan is projected to save $214 billion over a decade. It would give all households receiving more than $90 a month in cash a "USDA Food" package that would "include items such as shelf-stable milk, ready to eat cereals, pasta, peanut butter, beans and canned fruit, vegetables, and meat, poultry or fish," according to the proposal.

The food stamp program served 42.2 million people and 20.9 million households, on average, during the 2017 fiscal year.

The average household benefit was $254.14, putting most homes well above the threshold for the proposed direct assistance. The program itself cost $68.1 billion, with $63.7 billion given out as benefits.

https://www.newsmax.com/headline/trump-budget-food-stamps/2018/02/12/id/842874/

Elessar
02-12-2018, 03:47 PM
It sounds good.

But ignorant liberals will try to derail it.

Why? Out of ignorance and dependency on a lazy voting block.

Some people really need the assistance. Some just milk the freebie tit.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-13-2018, 10:23 PM
I've never been on food stamps or any kind of government welfare in my life, and I have been POOR.

Call it pride or maybe even stupid, but I would have been ashamed and embarrassed to pull out food stamps in a store in front of other people.

Taco Junkie
02-14-2018, 10:23 AM
I get HPD's point but a single woman with children may need assistance. Getting solid food in lieu of money could actually put them ahead if they use those gifts. And if I understand the program, they will still get some $$ to use for their cigarettes, 40s and lobster. I don't see how they can bitch. But I bet they will.

Gunny
02-14-2018, 10:33 AM
I've never been on food stamps or any kind of government welfare in my life, and I have been POOR.

Call it pride or maybe even stupid, but I would have been ashamed and embarrassed to pull out food stamps in a store in front of other people.Heard THAT.

Gunny
02-14-2018, 10:41 AM
I get HPD's point but a single woman with children may need assistance. Getting solid food in lieu of money could actually put them ahead if they use those gifts. And if I understand the program, they will still get some $$ to use for their cigarettes, 40s and lobster. I don't see how they can bitch. But I bet they will.Scrub the system and start over. At this point, it's the only fix that's going to work.