PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Charges Russians With 2016 U.S. Election Tampering To Boost Trump

Gunny
02-16-2018, 07:19 PM
February 16, 2018
By Warren Strobel, Dustin Volz and Jonathan Landay
WASHINGTON (Reuters) – A Russian propaganda arm oversaw a criminal and espionage conspiracy to tamper in the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign to support Donald Trump and disparage Hillary Clinton, said an indictment released on Friday that revealed more details than previously known about Moscow’s purported effort to interfere.
The office of U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller charged 13 Russians and three Russian companies, including St. Petersburg-based Internet Research Agency known for its trolling on social media. The official who oversees Mueller’s work said the investigation was not finished.
(Indictment: http://tmsnrt.rs/2EvtgMh (http://tmsnrt.rs/2EvtgMh))
The court document said those accused “had a strategic goal to sow discord in the U.S. political system, including the 2016 U.S. presidential election.”
The indictment said Russians adopted false online personas to push divisive messages; traveled to the United States to collect intelligence, visiting 10 states; and staged political rallies while posing as Americans. In one case, it said, the Russians paid an unidentified person to build a cage aboard a flatbed truck and another to wear a costume “portraying Clinton in a prison uniform.”
The surprise 37-page indictment could alter the divisive U.S. domestic debate over Russia’s meddling, undercutting some Republicans who, along with Trump, have attacked Mueller’s investigation.
“These Russians engaged in a sinister and systematic attack on our political system. It was a conspiracy to subvert the process, and take aim at democracy itself,” said Paul Ryan, Republican Speaker of the House of Representatives.
The indictment is silent on the question of whether the Trump campaign colluded with the Kremlin, which Mueller is investigating.
In a Tweet on Friday, Trump gave his most direct acknowledgement that Russia had meddled in the election, which he has frequently disputed.
“Russia started their anti-US campaign in 2014, long before I announced that I would run for President. The results of the election were not impacted. The Trump campaign did nothing wrong – no collusion!” Trump wrote.
Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova called the allegations that Russian nationals interfered in U.S. elections “absurd” and ridiculed the idea that so few could undermine U.S. democracy.
“13 against the billions’ budgets of the secret services?” she asked in a Facebook post.
The accused Russians are unlikely to be arrested or to appear in a U.S. court on the charges, which include conspiracy to defraud the United States, wire fraud, bank fraud and identity theft.
ECHOES OF INTELLIGENCE REPORT
The indictment broadly echoes the conclusions of a January 2017 U.S. intelligence assessment, which found that Russia had meddled in the election, and that its goals eventually included aiding Trump. In November 2016, Trump won a surprise victory over Democratic Party candidate Clinton.
Mueller’s indictment did not tie the meddling effort to the Russian government. But the earlier U.S. intelligence assessment said Russian President Vladimir Putin ordered a campaign to influence the U.S. election.
Trump has never unequivocally accepted the U.S. intelligence report and has denounced Mueller’s probe into whether his campaign colluded with the Kremlin as a “witch hunt.”
Some of those charged, posing as Americans, “communicated with unwitting individuals associated with the Trump campaign,” the indictment said.
Last year, Mueller charged Trump’s former campaign manager and his deputy with money-laundering and other crimes, and accepted guilty pleas from two former foreign policy aides for lying to the FBI.
Friday’s indictment of the Russians, coupled with the FBI disclosure that it failed to heed a warning about the Florida high school shooter, were blows to the White House, still reeling from the fallout of a scandal involving a former aide accused of domestic abuse by two ex-wives.
U.S. stocks had been up over half a percent but lost nearly all of that after the indictment came out.
‘CONSPIRATORS’
U.S. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein told a press conference: “The defendants allegedly conducted what they called information warfare against the United States, with the stated goal of spreading distrust towards the candidates and the political system in general.”
The indictment describes a sophisticated, multi-year and well-funded operation, dubbed “Project Lakhta,” by Russian entities to influence the election, beginning as early as May 2014.
Russians unlawfully used stolen social security numbers and birth dates of Americans to open accounts on the PayPal digital payment platform and to post on social media using those fake identities, the indictment said.
Mueller also on Friday reached an agreement with an American named Richard Pinedo, who pled guilty to aiding and abetting interstate and foreign identity fraud by creating, buying and stealing hundreds of bank account numbers that he sold to individuals to use with large digital payment companies.
According to a source familiar with the indictments, Pinedo is the person cited in the document as helping the Russian conspirators launder money, as well as purchase Facebook ads and pay for rally supplies, through PayPal Holdings Inc..
Pinedo’s attorney, Jeremy I. Lessem, said in a statement that “Mr. Pinedo had absolutely no knowledge of the identities and motivations of any of the purchasers of the information he provided.”
The Russians sought to measure the impact of their online social media operations, tracking the size of U.S. audiences reached through posts and other types of engagement, such as likes, comments and reposts, according to the indictment.
Facebook said in a statement that it had previously disclosed the Internet Research Agency’s activity on its platform. “We know we have more to do to prevent against future attacks,” said Joel Kaplan, Facebook’s vice president of global policy.
Twitter, whose platform also was used, declined to comment on the indictment.
The Internet Research Agency was registered with the Russian government as a corporate entity in July 2013 and St. Petersburg “became one of the organization’s operational hubs,” for the project, the indictment said.
The organization employed hundreds of people, ranging from creators of fictitious person to technical experts, and by September 2016, its monthly budget was in excess of $1.2 million, the court document said.
Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats told the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday that he had already seen evidence Russia was targeting U.S. elections in November, when Republican control of the House of Representatives and Senate are at stake, plus a host of positions in state governments.
The indictment said the Russians it charged tried to destroy evidence of their crimes.
For example, in September 2017, one of the defendants wrote an email to a family member stating: “We had a slight crisis at work: the FBI busted our activity (not a joke). So, I got preoccupied with covering tracks together with colleagues.”
The email continued: “I created all these pictures and posts, and the Americans believed that it was written by their people.”
(Reporting by Warren Strobel, Dustin Volz, Jonathan Landay; additional reporting by Lisa Lambert, Patricia Zengerle, Mark Hosenball, David Shepardson, David Alexander, Steve Holland, David Ingram, Noel Randewich and; Jack Stubbs and Christian Lowe in Moscow; editing by Mary Milliken and Grant McCool)
http://www.oann.com/russians-indicted-in-2016-u-s-election-meddling-investigation/

This is hogwash. Sounds like justifying a waste of time and money. "Some" Russians tried to interfere in our election process by spreading misinformation. Or the truth, depending on your view of Hitlery. She doesn't need any help getting negative press. THERE's a new idea :rolleyes:. Wonder what would happen if the CIA was investigated for spreading disinformation in foreign countries in an attempt to alter the out come of an election ....

Wait! There's more ... the investigation is STILL ongoing (because nothing has been found to tie Trump to it) even though the disinformation campaign began before Trump announced his candidacy. More :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a joke.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-16-2018, 07:26 PM
Oh there WAS Russian COLLUSION... it was just between the HITLERY CAMP and the DEMOCRATS and Russia... something the democrat propaganda cabal is COMPLETELY IGNORING.

Elessar
02-16-2018, 07:26 PM
http://www.oann.com/russians-indicted-in-2016-u-s-election-meddling-investigation/

This is hogwash. Sounds like justifying a waste of time and money. "Some" Russians tried to interfere in our election process by spreading misinformation. Or the truth, depending on your view of Hitlery. She doesn't need any help getting negative press. THERE's a new idea :rolleyes:. Wonder what would happen if the CIA was investigated for spreading disinformation in foreign countries in an attempt to alter the out come of an election ....

Wait! There's more ... the investigation is STILL ongoing (because nothing has been found to tie Trump to it) even though the disinformation campaign began before Trump announced his candidacy. More :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What a joke.

Proof is in the pudding.

Gunny
02-16-2018, 07:31 PM
Oh there WAS Russian COLLUSION... it was just between the HITLERY CAMP and the DEMOCRATS and Russia... something the democrat propaganda cabal is COMPLETELY IGNORING.I'm not holding my breath waiting on THAT investigation to start. FBI and DOJ criminals STILL at work collecting a check on our dime.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-16-2018, 07:37 PM
I'm not holding my breath waiting on THAT investigation to start. FBI and DOJ criminals STILL at work collecting a check on our dime.
Me neither, brother... me neither. I won't believe anyone will go to JAIL for all this corruption until I see a news clip of them being PERP WALKED OFF TO JAIL.

aboutime
02-17-2018, 09:08 PM
Good Reading.....

Does Mueller Indictment Mean Clinton Campaign Can Be Indicted for Chris Steele?
https://lawandcrime.com/opinion/does-mueller-indictment-mean-clinton-campaign-can-be-indicted-for-chris-steele/

Gunny
02-18-2018, 01:46 PM
Of course Mueller's indictments are a sham. Just more desperation on his part to justify his bogus witch hunt. He's making himself look like the petty fool. He needs to call it a day. He's a waste of tax dollars.

OR ... start investigating Clinton, Steele, DOJ/FBI involvement in trying to steal an election. After all, he has given the authority to investigate anything wherever the case leads. So far he's investigated everything BUT where a blind man could follow.

pete311
02-18-2018, 01:54 PM
You guys seem to forget there are 3 parts to Mueller's investigation. Trump collusion is only one part. Even if no collusion is found it's pretty damn important to expose russian election interference. (if it ultimately had no effect on the result is besides the point)

Black Diamond
02-18-2018, 02:00 PM
You guys seem to forget there are 3 parts to Mueller's investigation. Trump collusion is only one part. Even if no collusion is found it's pretty damn important to expose russian election interference. (if it ultimately had no effect on the result is besides the point)
Keep dreaming. Your pussy will continue to be grabbed. Faggot.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-18-2018, 02:04 PM
I never heard of "3 parts." All I heard was "COLLUSION between Russia and the Trump campaign." There's nothing besides that to "forget."

Not to mention, Mueller can't be trusted to investigate Hitlery and the dem involvement when HE WAS INVOLVED IN IT HIMSELF.

He needs to be fired, and then INVESTIGATED by a new S.C, Rosenstein too.

Gunny
02-18-2018, 02:09 PM
You guys seem to forget there are 3 parts to Mueller's investigation. Trump collusion is only one part. Even if no collusion is found it's pretty damn important to expose russian election interference. (if it ultimately had no effect on the result is besides the point)The "Russian interference" supposedly "exposed" is some yahoos goofing on the internet. BFD. By THAT standard, The Democrats and left in general can be charged with interfering with the US election process.

And what are WE doing on THIS board? Making comments about the Russian election. Right? I'll bet we're sure swaying a bunch if opinions.

The whole argument is based on the fallacy that anyone listens to quacks and their political BS on the internet to begin with. Nobody's minds are changed. Look at you ... No amount of common sense, logic and/or facts dissuades you. Likewise, no amount of illogic, nonsense and fabricated "facts" (lies) is going to change MY mind. Only something REAL will.

This is a witch hunt to get Trump by hook or crook and you know it. Nothing more.

pete311
02-18-2018, 04:27 PM
Keep dreaming. Your pussy will continue to be grabbed. Faggot.

this response makes no sense, are you ok?

pete311
02-18-2018, 04:31 PM
This is a witch hunt to get Trump by hook or crook and you know it. Nothing more.

Considering everyone in our intelligence community even Trump appointees admit Russians meddled and continue to meddle in our elections, Mueller has come down with indictments with more to come, I'd say the investigation is worthwhile even if Trump is left unscathed. Why can't you admit at least that? Or are you paid russian troll? I'm starting to wonder if this community is not paid off. You guys seem cozy with russians doing whatever they want. Dan Coats said we are under attack and you guys look the other way. How american. Ruskies winning.

pete311
02-18-2018, 04:35 PM
I never heard of "3 parts." All I heard was "COLLUSION between Russia and the Trump campaign." There's nothing besides that to "forget."

Not to mention, Mueller can't be trusted to investigate Hitlery and the dem involvement when HE WAS INVOLVED IN IT HIMSELF.

He needs to be fired, and then INVESTIGATED by a new S.C, Rosenstein too.

Maybe you should read up on the investigation's purpose as officially stated instead of reading MSM. What did I say about being careful of not blowing your top when you don't understand everything.

Black Diamond
02-18-2018, 04:50 PM
this response makes no sense, are you ok?
Ok let me spell it out.
You're dreaming of trump being removed from office or being forced to resign like Nixon was. It's never going to happen. Ever.

Black Diamond
02-18-2018, 04:55 PM
Maybe you should read up on the investigation's purpose as officially stated instead of reading MSM. What did I say about being careful of not blowing your top when you don't understand everything.
I'll remember that next time you quote CNN. Or any other msm outlet.

Gunny
02-18-2018, 05:11 PM
Considering everyone in our intelligence community even Trump appointees admit Russians meddled and continue to meddle in our elections, Mueller has come down with indictments with more to come, I'd say the investigation is worthwhile even if Trump is left unscathed. Why can't you admit at least that? Or are you paid russian troll? I'm starting to wonder if this community is not paid off. You guys seem cozy with russians doing whatever they want. Dan Coats said we are under attack and you guys look the other way. How american. Ruskies winning."Russians". NOT "Russia". BIG, HUGE difference. Try reading the post you responded to minus your "We Love Mueller" tinted glasses.

I consider some russians trying to interfere with our election by saying mean things on the internet FAR less dangerous and/or consequential than US Government emloyees trying to tilt an election in favor of a candidate from WITHIN OUR GOVERNMENT. THAT should be a priority investigation. Not some nitwit fruitloops with some bandwidth and extra time on their hands.

And I don't care if they're Russian or from Fiji. The fact is, probably not the first time nor will it be the last. YOUR world, not mine. Full of malicious cybergeeks with who knows what for motives. Trying to make it more than it is is nothing more than using smoke to cover a retreat.

pete311
02-18-2018, 10:32 PM
Ok let me spell it out.
You're dreaming of trump being removed from office or being forced to resign like Nixon was. It's never going to happen. Ever.

No I'm not, I just want the investigation to conclude properly and I accept any conclusion.

Gunny
02-18-2018, 11:10 PM
No I'm not, I just want the investigation to conclude properly and I accept any conclusion.That's a joke. There's nothing proper about it. It's a sham from the word "go".

pete311
02-19-2018, 09:20 AM
That's a joke. There's nothing proper about it. It's a sham from the word "go".

What's a sham about 16 indictments and more to come? Please tell me.

mundame
02-19-2018, 09:44 AM
Oh there WAS Russian COLLUSION... it was just between the HITLERY CAMP and the DEMOCRATS and Russia... something the democrat propaganda cabal is COMPLETELY IGNORING.

It does seem to me, HPD, that if the Hillary campaign was promoting Russian plots via this Steele spy, and there is a big hooha about Russians doing that, isn't the Hillary campaign guilty of that?

I do want to know what Hillary knew and when she knew it. If she signed off on Russian meddling in our election, how is that okay?

mundame
02-19-2018, 09:51 AM
I consider some russians trying to interfere with our election by saying mean things on the internet FAR less dangerous and/or consequential than US Government emloyees trying to tilt an election in favor of a candidate from WITHIN OUR GOVERNMENT. THAT should be a priority investigation.

Wow, do I ever agree with that. I was chilled by the Comey attempted coup, against BOTH candidates, as I saw it. Hillary during the election and Trump after. It was one of Trump's excellent leadership examples that he canned Comey so fast --- yeah, he'd better! That guy Comey wanted to be president himself.

However, I do believe "Putin's Minions" as the Europeans call them, did try to influence the election. They are paid, and they are many, according to the Europeans who found them simply flooding the European Internet sites a couple years ago, and I have seen them flood certain more international sites here. It is MADDENING, all these obvious Russian non-native English speakers saying the most outrageous, false things.

I myself saw at least one of their machinations here that was exposed in the news later, that frowsy black woman holding a sign in a riot saying "Gimme more free shit!" I assume the signage was faked, since you see that kind of thing all the time and it's easy to do. I forget the program for replacing signage with whatever you want, but I've done it myself for a joke, years ago.

But the Russian idea seems to have been to cause us to fight with each other. Not sure we need help from Russia to do that..........

Russ
02-19-2018, 03:33 PM
Robert Mueller was appointed as a Special Counsel to investigate if the Trump campaign colluded with Russia to influence the Presidential election in Trump's favor.

Now, after close to a year of "investigations" and countless spending of our taxpayer money, Mueller's big announcement is that he is indicting 13 Russian citizens for "meddling" with the US Presidential Election. Notice how 'Trump collusion' has morphed into 'election meddling'. They are not the same thing. This would be the equivalent of my boss giving me a year and a huge budget to build a house, and I come back a year later with a $4.99 plastic poncho from Target. If I did that, I would not expect to hear that I'm doing a good job.

And this isn't even the most laughable part. What is this "election meddling" that Bobby-boy is indicting people for? It is essentially just that they made negative Facebook posts about Hillary. If that's a crime, then let's indict the entire CNN and NYT staffs for making negative reports about Trump. Let's indict Donna Brazille for election meddling for giving Hillary the debate questions before her debate with Bernie Sanders, and Hillary for accepting the questions. Let's indict Hillary for paying for the Steele report. And don't forget that US intelligence services do similar meddling all the time.

I'm not even a big Trump supporter, but I have to wonder how Mueller is able to look at himself in the mirror. He's turned himself into a complete disgrace as a prosecutor, as a US citizen, and as a man.

pete311
02-19-2018, 03:49 PM
Here is the letter from Rosenstien authorizing the investigation.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/17/us/politics/document-Robert-Mueller-Special-Counsel-Russia.html

The 3 mandates are

1. Investigate Russian/Trump connections related to the campaign
2. Investigate related matters, aka russian election interference
3. Investigate obstruction of justice, perjury, destruction of evidence etc

Russ
02-19-2018, 03:54 PM
The 3 mandates are

Don't forget the 4th mandate:

4. See if anyone's making negative Facebook posts about Hillary, because it might change the results of our election and because it would be so unfair.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-19-2018, 04:09 PM

"Blah, blah... blah, blah, blah... blah"... go change your Kotex.

aboutime
02-19-2018, 04:13 PM
They have all been trying this, over, and over again in more than a year. And look where it has gotten them???

http://www.azquotes.com/picture-quotes/quote-if-the-definition-of-insanity-is-doing-the-same-thing-over-and-over-again-expecting-james-cook-141-29-00.jpg

pete311
02-19-2018, 04:20 PM
"Blah, blah... blah, blah, blah... blah"... go change your Kotex.

ah countering with sexism nice touch. are you inferring women are inferior?

pete311
02-19-2018, 04:21 PM
They have all been trying this, over, and over again in more than a year. And look where it has gotten them???

Over a dozen indictments with more to come.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-19-2018, 04:22 PM
Here is the letter from Rosenstien authorizing the investigation.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/05/17/us/politics/document-Robert-Mueller-Special-Counsel-Russia.html

The 3 mandates are

Where the FUCK do you see all that in that letter?

You are one goofy sons a bitch.

High_Plains_Drifter
02-19-2018, 04:23 PM
ah countering with sexism nice touch. are you inferring women are inferior?
I'm inferring you pussy is dripping, dumbass.

pete311
02-19-2018, 04:28 PM
I'm inferring you pussy is dripping, dumbass.

Classy. Please do explain the relevance or have your meds worn off?

High_Plains_Drifter
02-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Classy. Please do explain the relevance or have your meds worn off?
You've brought out the class with your shitty comments to me in the past.

You want me to treat you different, then lay off the shitty little wise comments to me.

I give what I get... try and remember that.

aboutime
02-19-2018, 09:46 PM
Over a dozen indictments with more to come.

Sure thing petey. What will you do if any of those indictments happen to be Democrats?

WHAT WILL YOU DO? I enjoy the way you avoid mentioning the DNC, and Clinton Campaign in regard to the STEELE documents...THEY PAID FOR. Even the FBI has verified that.
YOU must really be miserable as hell. Coming here. Pretending to be God's gift to the Liars of the DNC, and your own LACK OF INTELLIGENCE.

Gunny
02-19-2018, 10:26 PM
What's a sham about 16 indictments and more to come? Please tell me.Sixteen indictments of people who will never see a US court of law. He can write them all day. Who's counting? They're worth about the same as a Kaepernick autographed football card.

What a joke. A year plus and he indicts 16 Russian nationals. Just wow. More desperate than the Dodgers in Game 7.

pete311
02-20-2018, 12:28 AM
Sure thing petey. What will you do if any of those indictments happen to be Democrats?

WHAT WILL YOU DO? I enjoy the way you avoid mentioning the DNC, and Clinton Campaign in regard to the STEELE documents...THEY PAID FOR. Even the FBI has verified that.
YOU must really be miserable as hell. Coming here. Pretending to be God's gift to the Liars of the DNC, and your own LACK OF INTELLIGENCE.

If justified I welcome them. All need to be held accountable for the good of the country.

pete311
02-20-2018, 12:29 AM
Sixteen indictments of people who will never see a US court of law. He can write them all day. Who's counting? They're worth about the same as a Kaepernick autographed football card.

What a joke. A year plus and he indicts 16 Russian nationals. Just wow. More desperate than the Dodgers in Game 7.

and manafort, gates and papadopolous. more will come

Little-Acorn
02-20-2018, 12:36 AM
U.S. Charges Russians With 2016 U.S. Election Tampering To Boost Trump

No, they charged Russians with U.S. election tampering to create chaos and distrust of the electoral process, by boosting Trump in some places and knocking him down in others, sometimes on the same day in two different parts of the same city.

Balu
02-20-2018, 01:23 AM
U.S. Charges Russians With 2016 U.S. Election Tampering To Boost Trump

No, they charged Russians with U.S. election tampering to create chaos and distrust of the electoral process, by boosting Trump in some places and knocking him down in others, sometimes on the same day in two different parts of the same city.

OK. Let's assume that Russians are schizophrenics. Then for whom do they keep the Americans, if they are so easy to manipulate? http://www.kolobok.us/smiles/light_skin/blush.gif

Gunny
02-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Here's how I see it ... Y'all are looking at this the wrong way. So Moscow is laughing at the Russian investigation? SO ARE WE. It's a joke. If you subtract Baghdad Bob's usual "Ivan the Great" crap, they're just making fun of the same shit we are.

Yes it's embarrassing. The Dems don't care. In case no one's noticed, they'll kiss ass in Palestine, Iran and N Korea. They kneel during the National Anthem. We have a former Dem President who disgraced the office, and would announce what our troops were going to do on TV. Why should they have any pride? If I was as big a suck up jellyfish as them I'd have zero self-esteem too.

Balu's a dumbass Commie. But for once, he's got a point.