PDA

View Full Version : Kick-ass ribs

Stoner
08-16-2007, 05:25 PM
This is my favorite rib recipe for all you grillers out there. These will be some of the most tender and delicious ribs you will ever eat, guaranteed.

Here's what you'll need.

- 2 racks of pork ribs (try and get racks that are two pounds each)

- Rib rub (I like Emeril Lagasse's)

- 2 bottles of a dark ale (drink the remaining 4 in addition to the other 12 pack you bought as well)

- 2 one-gallon zip lock bags

- Your favorite barbecue sauce

Take the ribs and cut them in half (this will give you 4 pieces). Rub the rib rub generously over both sides of all four pieces. Place 2 pieces in one bag and the other 2 in the other bag. Pour one beer in each bag. Zip them up and place them in the fridge overnight (may want to put them in a pan or something in case the bag leaks).

The next day take them out of the bag and place them in a baking pan. Sprinkle the tops of them with more rib rub. Then let them sit on the counter until they come to room temperature (this allows them to be more tender). Once at room temperature cover them very tightly with aluminum foil (also line the pan) and place them in a 325 degree preheated oven. Bake for 2 hours.

When the ribs are almost done get your grill nice and hot. Once they are done cooking take them out and transfer them to your grill, cover it and cook for 30 minutes ON INDIRECT HEAT!!!!! Do not place these directly over the flame. If you don't know how to cook indirectly on a grill let me know and I'll SITREP you.

After 30 minutes uncover your grill and baste the ribs all over in your favorite BBQ sauce. Then shut the lid and cook for 30 additional minutes making sure you baste them every 10 minutes during this part (total of 3 times).

After an hour of total grill-cook-time take them off and eat those little bastards of goodness up! They will be oh so tender!

Guernicaa
08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Yeah...I bet you get hungry a lot huh?

dan
08-17-2007, 05:38 AM
Sounds good, Stoner, but I'm such a disaster in the kitchen, I'd be afraid to invest this much time/money into something I'll probably burn to a crisp on the grill anyway.

What dark ale do you recommend?

Hagbard Celine
08-17-2007, 10:04 AM
This is my favorite rib recipe for all you grillers out there. These will be some of the most tender and delicious ribs you will ever eat, guaranteed.

Here's what you'll need.

- 2 racks of pork ribs (try and get racks that are two pounds each)

- Rib rub (I like Emeril Lagasse's)

- 2 bottles of a dark ale (drink the remaining 4 in addition to the other 12 pack you bought as well)

- 2 one-gallon zip lock bags

- Your favorite barbecue sauce

Take the ribs and cut them in half (this will give you 4 pieces). Rub the rib rub generously over both sides of all four pieces. Place 2 pieces in one bag and the other 2 in the other bag. Pour one beer in each bag. Zip them up and place them in the fridge overnight (may want to put them in a pan or something in case the bag leaks).

The next day take them out of the bag and place them in a baking pan. Sprinkle the tops of them with more rib rub. Then let them sit on the counter until they come to room temperature (this allows them to be more tender). Once at room temperature cover them very tightly with aluminum foil (also line the pan) and place them in a 325 degree preheated oven. Bake for 2 hours.

When the ribs are almost done get your grill nice and hot. Once they are done cooking take them out and transfer them to your grill, cover it and cook for 30 minutes ON INDIRECT HEAT!!!!! Do not place these directly over the flame. If you don't know how to cook indirectly on a grill let me know and I'll SITREP you.

After 30 minutes uncover your grill and baste the ribs all over in your favorite BBQ sauce. Then shut the lid and cook for 30 additional minutes making sure you baste them every 10 minutes during this part (total of 3 times).

After an hour of total grill-cook-time take them off and eat those little bastards of goodness up! They will be oh so tender!
Wow, this sounds awesome.

Stoner
08-17-2007, 01:22 PM
Sounds good, Stoner, but I'm such a disaster in the kitchen, I'd be afraid to invest this much time/money into something I'll probably burn to a crisp on the grill anyway.

What dark ale do you recommend?

No way, bro. It's so simple it's criminal. The problem with ribs is most people try and do too much to them (including goofy things that have somehow become acceptable like boiling them).

I have been grilling for a while and have recipes for ribs that are far more complicasted but in the end this one is as good, if not better than any one I've ever had.

Give it a shot, Dan. As long as you follow the directions you'll be fine. Make sure you know how to cook on indirect heat on your grill.

As far as dark ale, anyone is great. I mix it up. However one I do enjoy a lot is 'Road Dog.' I believe this is from 'Flying Dog' breweries. It's good on the ribs. But mix it up. Experiment and find one you like the best.

-Cp
08-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Here's the one I use:

Recipe Summary
Prep Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours 25 minutes
Yield: 2 slabs ribs

Who Loves Ya Baby-Back?
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs
Dry Rub:
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.

To print this, go here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_11125_PRINT-RECIPE-FULL-PAGE,00.html

darin
08-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Here's the one I use:

"Heya -Cp, wanna make some of those Alton Brown Ribs and come over?"

-Cp
08-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Here's the one I use:

"Heya -Cp, wanna make some of those Alton Brown Ribs and come over?"

LOL - too true...:P

dan
08-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Give it a shot, Dan. As long as you follow the directions you'll be fine. Make sure you know how to cook on indirect heat on your grill.

I don't, actually. Well, I do on a charcoal grill, but how do I do indirect on a gas grill?

-Cp
08-20-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't, actually. Well, I do on a charcoal grill, but how do I do indirect on a gas grill?

If you own a charcoal grill, I'd use that over gas.. IMO

But if you want to do it on the gas grill, just turn on one of the burners to about 200 degrees (assuming your grill has a thermostat on it) - put the ribs on the side opposite side of the grill - close the lid, walk away..

That's indirect cooking on a gas grill...

dan
08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
If you own a charcoal grill, I'd use that over gas.. IMO[?QUOTE]

I would, too, but, alas, all I got is gas.

[QUOTE]But if you want to do it on the gas grill, just turn on one of the burners to about 200 degrees (assuming your grill has a thermostat on it) - put the ribs on the side opposite side of the grill - close the lid, walk away..

That's indirect cooking on a gas grill...

OK, I'll keep that in mind, problem is, my grill is one of those small ones normally used for, like, camping or something like that, so it's only got one burner on it, I don't know how I'd manage indirect heat on that thing.

-Cp
08-20-2007, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=-Cp;107679]If you own a charcoal grill, I'd use that over gas.. IMO[?QUOTE]

I would, too, but, alas, all I got is gas.

OK, I'll keep that in mind, problem is, my grill is one of those small ones normally used for, like, camping or something like that, so it's only got one burner on it, I don't know how I'd manage indirect heat on that thing.

Why not just make yourself a smoker then and smoke them?

The Good Eats Custom Corrugated Vapor Colloid Applicator
(Cardboard Box Smoker)

Key:

a) heavy-duty corrugated box (no interior painting)

b) flap door

c) electric hot plate

d) small cast-iron skillet

e) hardwood sawdust (no pressure-treated wood or plywood allowed)

f) small battery-operated fan (optional)

g) 2 quarter-inch wooden dowels inserted through box in parallel fashion

h) oven rack

i) target food (fish skin-side down)

j) thermometers (although probe styles are shown, standard stem models may be used in a pinch)

k) thermometer probes (one in the box, the other in the fish)

http://images.foodnetwork.com/webfood/images/tv/goodeats/box_smoker.gif

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/article/0,,FOOD_9956_2245800,00.html