PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS Labor Case

High_Plains_Drifter
03-05-2018, 09:48 AM
This is what I had heard about Gunny... could be the end of unions as we know them, and also the end of a significant cash cow for the democrat party for campaign funds. I was forced into this union before Gov Walker did what he did here in WI when I worked at the prison, but I told the union I did NOT want my $50 a month to be used for political campaign funding to get democrats elected. I'm sure it didn't make me a very popular person but I didn't give a fuck. They weren't very popular to me either forcing me to join this union just to get the job, and then forcing me to pay them $50 a month for basically nothing. I told them donate my $50 a month to the Mennonite Christian church here in Muscoda. Of course I had no way of knowing if they ever did or not but I got my point across.

AS UNIONS SOUND ALARM ON SCOTUS LABOR CASE, HERE’S WHAT WISCONSIN’S EXPERIENCE SHOWS

https://rightwisconsin.com/2018/03/05/unions-sound-alarm-scotus-labor-case-heres-wisconsins-experience-shows/

Gunny
03-05-2018, 10:52 AM
This is what I had heard about @Gunny (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=30)... could be the end of unions as we know them, and also the end of a significant cash cow for the democrat party for campaign funds. I was forced into this union before Gov Walker did what he did here in WI when I worked at the prison, but I told the union I did NOT want my $50 a month to be used for political campaign funding to get democrats elected. I'm sure it didn't make me a very popular person but I didn't give a fuck. They weren't very popular to me either forcing me to join this union just to get the job, and then forcing me to pay them $50 a month for basically nothing. I told them donate my $50 a month to the Mennonite Christian church here in Muscoda. Of course I had no way of knowing if they ever did or not but I got my point across.

AS UNIONS SOUND ALARM ON SCOTUS LABOR CASE, HERE’S WHAT WISCONSIN’S EXPERIENCE SHOWS

https://rightwisconsin.com/2018/03/05/unions-sound-alarm-scotus-labor-case-heres-wisconsins-experience-shows/My grandfather was a union electrician. I had/have an "in" to the good ol' boy network. Had I chosen a different path, I may have very-well gone that route. Lesson learned (even as a kid): My grandfather was a tough old bird, so much like me it's scary. He had a MASSIVE heart attack when he was about 55 and had to retire and collect disability. But EVERY month he got a check from the union. When he passed, my grandmother got half of that check EVERY month until she passed. That seared itself into my brain even as a teen watching him struggle with that crap. He went from hardass to invalid in a day.

My deal with the union is I don't need anything they have to offer because of my military retirement. They wanted me to "buy into" their retirement (basically convert mine). I wasn't going to pay extra for half the benefits. Made no sense. But my "eye on the prize" even when I was 18 years old was whatever I chose to do, it was going to have something for me to fall back on in the end. I stayed in the Marines because I came down with a "disease" called "preggo wife" my last year in, and I was on the Rock to boot. I was going to get sent straight to Camp Pendleton Separation Center and discharged from Oki. Didn't much like THAT idea so I reenlisted. After that, to me, it made no sense to get out after putting in 8 years.

So, I am NOT "anti-union" as far as the ideal behind it. It's something. I'm "anti-the-bureaucracy-it-has-become-vs-the ideal". They price themselves out of business. We still have an IBEW chapter here, but it's not like it was when I was a kid. Too many electrical contractors bailed on it and could easily underbid it. What most union electricians do is go to work for non-union companies and call in to the union every day. If the union gets some work for them, they just don't show up for work and go to the union job. When it's over they just get another job. There are hundreds of electrical contractors here.

IF the company you work for goes union, you have to join or get another job. And the way the union works is the employers don't hire nor choose employees. They tell the union what they need and the union sends bodies. So you don't work for a "company". You work for the union itself. The way they game it is (besides backdoor good ol' boy deals) is you get the guy you want to get specific qualifications and something off the wall as one of them and then you request all those qualifications.

It stinks from the head down.

Black Diamond
03-05-2018, 11:03 AM
My grandfather was a union electrician. I had/have an "in" to the good ol' boy network. Had I chosen a different path, I may have very-well gone that route. Lesson learned (even as a kid): My grandfather was a tough old bird, so much like me it's scary. He had a MASSIVE heart attack when he was about 55 and had to retire and collect disability. But EVERY month he got a check from the union. When he passed, my grandmother got half of that check EVERY month until she passed. That seared itself into my brain even as a teen watching him struggle with that crap. He went from hardass to invalid in a day.

My deal with the union is I don't need anything they have to offer because of my military retirement. They wanted me to "buy into" their retirement (basically convert mine). I wasn't going to pay extra for half the benefits. Made no sense. But my "eye on the prize" even when I was 18 years old was whatever I chose to do, it was going to have something for me to fall back on in the end. I stayed in the Marines because I came down with a "disease" called "preggo wife" my last year in, and I was on the Rock to boot. I was going to get sent straight to Camp Pendleton Separation Center and discharged from Oki. Didn't much like THAT idea so I reenlisted. After that, to me, it made no sense to get out after putting in 8 years.

So, I am NOT "anti-union" as far as the ideal behind it. It's something. I'm "anti-the-bureaucracy-it-has-become-vs-the ideal". They price themselves out of business. We still have an IBEW chapter here, but it's not like it was when I was a kid. Too many electrical contractors bailed on it and could easily underbid it. What most union electricians do is go to work for non-union companies and call in to the union every day. If the union gets some work for them, they just don't show up for work and go to the union job. When it's over they just get another job. There are hundreds of electrical contractors here.

IF the company you work for goes union, you have to join or get another job. And the way the union works is the employers don't hire nor choose employees. They tell the union what they need and the union sends bodies. So you don't work for a "company". You work for the union itself. The way they game it is (besides backdoor good ol' boy deals) is you get the guy you want to get specific qualifications and something off the wall as one of them and then you request all those qualifications.

It stinks from the head down.
I don't like all that. But what I like even less is the Mexicans and Chinese getting all the jobs. The unions deserve some blame for what happened but so do the free trade deals.

Black Diamond
03-05-2018, 11:16 AM
Delphi had a plant in west Michigan. They made $24 per hour doing assembly work. Market paid 12-15. Delphi offered them $21 or we move. Union said no and the company moved to Mexico (or was it China? ). I doubt the workers make that much money even today.

Gunny
03-05-2018, 11:25 AM
I don't like all that. But what I like even less is the Mexicans and Chinese getting all the jobs. The unions deserve some blame for what happened but so do the free trade deals.Agreed. There's blame to go around. If the IDEAL of the union was the standard, I'd not have a problem with it. They originated to protect the workers. Then the fat cats in the office started getting wealthy while the workers weren't, and the fat gets would put the workers on strike while they still got paid so they can bet more money to bump their own pay.

It's no different that our government. Note that when Congress "shut down the government", THEY still get paid. They're overpaid to represent the people and they can't even do that. One thing a year HAS TO BE DONE. ONE THING. The budget. I don't recall it even one time being on time. Anyway, same principle applies to the unions.

I'm not real up on the case, but I think workers have a right to work without being strong-armed by the "mob" for "protection". I'm pro-choice on this matter. You want to be in the union? Feel free. You don't? Don't. Neither should be punished for their choice.

What they SHOULD DO is get to working on whether or not illegals have a right to work. Solve a LOT of this sh*t.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-05-2018, 05:20 PM
If SCOTUS decides against the unions, that people can't be forced into them, and especially forced to pay unions dues, then the democraps are fucked. There goes one of their top cash cows for campaign money.

The union I was forced to be in was for the Correction Officers, we were some kind of tag along included with them, and when yearly wage negotiations came they didn't give a rat ass about the Maintenance people. We were forced to pay $50 a month, which was a nice chunk of change, for NOTHING. We never got SQUAT for wage increases while the PRISON GUARDS, and they hated to be called GUARDS, got real nice raises. I hate it. I'd turn down even a good job now if I was forced to join a union. Left a real bad taste in my mouth. I was a screw job. Thankfully Gov. Walker busted that shit up here in Wisconsin. We're a RIGHT TO WORK state now.