PDA

View Full Version : Trump trade row: EU adds to US trade retaliation list

Gunny
03-07-2018, 08:32 AM
EU trade commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom set out plans to retaliate against the proposed US tariffs.
These include higher import duties on bourbon, peanut butter, cranberries, orange juice, steel, and industrial products, she said.
On Tuesday, Donald Trump's top economic advisor Gary Cohn, who opposes tariffs, resigned.
That was after Mr Trump said EU trade rules make it "impossible" for US firms to do business (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43316228#) with the bloc.
Ms Malmstrom said the US justification for the proposed 25% tariff on steel imports and 10% tariff on aluminium was that US national security is threatened.
"We have serious doubt about that justification. We cannot see how the European Union, friends, and allies in Nato, can be a threat to national security in the US," she said.
"We find that assumption deeply unjust."
She added: "We have made clear that if a move like this is taken, it will hurt the European Union, it will put thousands of European jobs (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43316228#) in jeopardy, and it has to be met by a firm and proportionate response."
She also said the EU was "intensively talking" to US counterparts to try to persuade Washington "to have a rethink".

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43316228

Dumb. The EU is going to strong arm Trump? That'll work :rolleyes: How about the EU "have a rethink"? Just how hard is it to figure out Trump's MO? It amazes me these people get paid fortunes to be so clueless.

Trump's looking for a deal. Instead of whining and trying to grandstand, why not try to get those thimble-sized brains in gear and at least propose one.

And before the EU starts trying to lay down wood, might want to look at the reality and truth. Those commodities they want to raise taxes on? The EU citizens might not care so much about not having them.

If the EU is sitting on lopsided deals with the US, then the fat cats ARE going to cry at losing some profit. Too bad.

And, the Gunny disclaimer ... this has NOTHING to do with my stance on artificially rescuing a dead market that killed itself. That remains the same. I am referring here to actual "NOW" viable, in place trades we are getting screwed on.

pete311
03-07-2018, 09:36 AM
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43316228

Dumb. The EU is going to strong arm Trump? That'll work :rolleyes: How about the EU "have a rethink"? Just how hard is it to figure out Trump's MO? It amazes me these people get paid fortunes to be so clueless.

Trump's looking for a deal. Instead of whining and trying to grandstand, why not try to get those thimble-sized brains in gear and at least propose one.

And before the EU starts trying to lay down wood, might want to look at the reality and truth. Those commodities they want to raise taxes on? The EU citizens might not care so much about not having them.

If the EU is sitting on lopsided deals with the US, then the fat cats ARE going to cry at losing some profit. Too bad.

And, the Gunny disclaimer ... this has NOTHING to do with my stance on artificially rescuing a dead market that killed itself. That remains the same. I am referring here to actual "NOW" viable, in place trades we are getting screwed on.

If Trump is looking for a deal then his tariff announcement is nothing but a grand stand!

Gunny
03-07-2018, 09:41 AM
If Trump is looking for a deal then his tariff announcement is nothing but a grand stand!Grand stand? Wrong. It's an attention getter and a bluff.

Been working for him so far. And the EU's got enough problems at the moment, especially with the UK, to be borrowing some more. Speaking of bluffs, I doubt the EU is bluffing. They're just that damned dumb.

pete311
03-07-2018, 10:08 AM
Grand stand? Wrong. It's an attention getter and a bluff.

Been working for him so far. And the EU's got enough problems at the moment, especially with the UK, to be borrowing some more. Speaking of bluffs, I doubt the EU is bluffing. They're just that damned dumb.

Attention getter? Pretty sure he has everyone's attention to begin with and a direct phone line to every EU leader.

CSM
03-07-2018, 10:22 AM
Attention getter? Pretty sure he has everyone's attention to begin with and a direct phone line to every EU leader.

Public pressure... gotta love it

Black Diamond
03-07-2018, 10:34 AM
Let the EU leaders call him.

Gunny
03-07-2018, 11:53 AM
Attention getter? Pretty sure he has everyone's attention to begin with and a direct phone line to every EU leader.Sure thing :rolleyes: When was the last time Europe did ANYTHING without being threatened? AFTER Hitler invaded? My bad. THAT was a threat too.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2018, 12:34 PM
Virtually EVERYTHING president Trump has done as he keeps his campaign promises has benefited America. The man has been dealing in the world market place for decades, far more than just about any establishment jackass politician or idiot talking head you can name, so if he feels the way to approach gross trade imbalances with America is to threaten tariffs, then I'll be damned but I'm sure as hell inclined to think he knows what he's doing.

Gunny
03-07-2018, 01:48 PM
Virtually EVERYTHING president Trump has done as he keeps his campaign promises has benefited America. The man has been dealing in the world market place for decades, far more than just about any establishment jackass politician or idiot talking head you can name, so if he feels the way to approach gross trade imbalances with America is to threaten tariffs, then I'll be damned but I'm sure as hell inclined to think he knows what he's doing.He has made a couple of barely covered screw-ups where foreign relations are concerned. He is not infallible. Just saying.

I hope he's right and you're right. The thought of another Dem President is nauseating. THAT is what is at stake to me. And what my dollar is worth. Remember he IS a gambler with other people's money and HAS failed before. He's playing pretty high stakes right now. I just hope, like I said, someone in the EU gets it together before they call his hand. I don't see it ending well for anyone if they do.

aboutime
03-07-2018, 03:26 PM
The EU knows, despite all of the negative crap from our Dumb Democrat, Capitalism haters, even if they deny it. The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA is still, the most prosperous, successful, richest, source of freedom anywhere on Earth.

The Detractors, Liars, Democrat, America haters, Snowflakes, Hollyweirdo's can say anything they want to help the professional Political Liars on the Left get their votes from the Uninformed.

But they CANNOT change the Truth. And they will never admit anything that makes them look stupid.