PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Steel To Partially Reopen Illinois Plant In Response To Tariffs Proposal

Gunny
03-07-2018, 06:03 PM
The U.S. Steel Corporation is announcing plans to reopen parts of an Illinois plant, following President Trump’s new tariffs proposal.
On Wednesday, U.S. Steel President and CEO David Burritt said the company will bring the plant back in anticipation the proposed tariffs will lead to an increase (http://www.oann.com/u-s-steel-to-partially-reopen-illinois-plant-in-response-to-tariffs-proposal/#) in domestic demand for steel.
He added, the Granite City Works facility and employees have suffered too long from unfairly traded foreign steel products that have flooded U.S. markets.
Burritt also praised President Trump for recognizing steel imports as a national and economic security threat.
U.S. Steel said it expects to rehire 500 employees this month.
http://www.oann.com/u-s-steel-to-partially-reopen-illinois-plant-in-response-to-tariffs-proposal/

:popcorn:

Elessar
03-07-2018, 06:34 PM
This does sound promising, though! Get some people jobs!
Improve the quality of steel, reopen iron ore productions.
Increase coal mining and transport of it.

Hopefully the mills in PA, WV, and OH can follow suit and reopen.

EPA will have a lot to say about this, but that is O.K. Put scrubbers on those
stacks before you fire the furnaces.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2018, 06:55 PM
http://www.oann.com/u-s-steel-to-partially-reopen-illinois-plant-in-response-to-tariffs-proposal/

:popcorn:
Like I was saying... :beer:

Gunny
03-07-2018, 07:01 PM

stacks before you fire the furnaces.That's only one side of the equation. Why are their jobs more important than the jobs that will be lost in a trade war? Not to mention the number of people that will be thrown back across the poverty line by the runaway inflation.

It's not just as simple as "We'll get you back to work". A "wash" in the TOTAL job market is pointless and costly.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2018, 07:07 PM
That's only one side of the equation. Why are their jobs more important than the jobs that will be lost in a trade war? Not to mention the number of people that will be thrown back across the poverty line by the runaway inflation.
What gives you the impression that's what will happen, Gunny?

Black Diamond
03-07-2018, 07:48 PM
But but....

allies.

but but...

Racist.

But but...

grab her by the.

Black Diamond
03-07-2018, 07:54 PM

stacks before you fire the furnaces.
Fuck the EPA. Right in the ass.

Gunny
03-07-2018, 08:33 PM
What gives you the impression that's what will happen, Gunny?I explained it in one thread, and kathianne posted a thread that is comprised of OP and my response, that explains (the OP) why the US steel industry tanked. It wasn't because of "them damned foreigners". It was because fat cat, US steel people who had it so good for so long refused to modernize when the other countries discovered less expensive ways to make the steel. Wasn't "cheap steel". It was "CHEAPER steel".

The answer is easy, and I'm not even good at it, but I AM good basic analysis and cause and effect. First, the consumer is going to pay for these dead in the water steel companies to modernize. We're going to pay for modernization, the union, and the employees will get whatever trickle is left.

In the meantime, the other countries slap us with the same tariff. So the price of steel is a wash. Only not really. Just the tariff is a wash. The actual price of steel to the consumer is doubled. Our pay isn't.

What part of our lives is steel NOT a part of? That means EVERY supporting commodity or affected commodity goes up in price as well. Our pay doesn't. Called runaway inflation.

In the meantime, people who buy the steel for industry are going to past the increased cost on to the buyer. And cut THEIR labor to maintain their profit margin. They're not giving it up for some communist plan to artificially prop up a dead industry. Cause and effect. You cannot give something in one area, especially out of the blue and arbitrarily without a corresponding loss to another area.

And after jacking up their tariffs on us? The EU will just got China for it's steel who will be more than happy to own part of Europe too.

Creating an artificial market that cannot sustain itself in the middle of a viable one is the same as just printing more money. Printing more money = inflation.

Gunny
03-07-2018, 08:36 PM
But but....

allies.

but but...

Racist.

But but...

grab her by the.

Fuck the EPA. Right in the ass.My concern is neither for other countries nor the EPA especially. I am however a bitch about waste and littering (destruction of our habitat for no reason), but I'm damned sure not concerned with that bureaucracy called the EPA that is constantly making impossible rules just to justify its existence.

I AM concerned because of the effect on the economy. As anyone should be.

Kathianne
03-07-2018, 09:55 PM
OK, does anyone really think that IF the tariffs don't go through as proposed, US Steel is going to close that plant again? American steel has been on the upswing for the past 15-20 years, once they began to modernize.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2018, 10:14 PM
I explained it in one thread, and kathianne posted a thread that is comprised of OP and my response, that explains (the OP) why the US steel industry tanked. It wasn't because of "them damned foreigners". It was because fat cat, US steel people who had it so good for so long refused to modernize when the other countries discovered less expensive ways to make the steel. Wasn't "cheap steel". It was "CHEAPER steel".

The answer is easy, and I'm not even good at it, but I AM good basic analysis and cause and effect. First, the consumer is going to pay for these dead in the water steel companies to modernize. We're going to pay for modernization, the union, and the employees will get whatever trickle is left.

In the meantime, the other countries slap us with the same tariff. So the price of steel is a wash. Only not really. Just the tariff is a wash. The actual price of steel to the consumer is doubled. Our pay isn't.

What part of our lives is steel NOT a part of? That means EVERY supporting commodity or affected commodity goes up in price as well. Our pay doesn't. Called runaway inflation.

In the meantime, people who buy the steel for industry are going to past the increased cost on to the buyer. And cut THEIR labor to maintain their profit margin. They're not giving it up for some communist plan to artificially prop up a dead industry. Cause and effect. You cannot give something in one area, especially out of the blue and arbitrarily without a corresponding loss to another area.

And after jacking up their tariffs on us? The EU will just got China for it's steel who will be more than happy to own part of Europe too.

Creating an artificial market that cannot sustain itself in the middle of a viable one is the same as just printing more money. Printing more money = inflation.
Well... IDK... I just don't see it that way.

We only import 20% of the steel we use. If our own steel industry picks up and can be profitable, as in the unions aren't allowed to suck the life blood out again, then other countries can slap whatever tariffs they want on their steel, who cares, we can use our own, we don't need theirs.

As far other commodities, I think the prediction that it will cause run away inflation is just one possible scenario, and it is, in fact, the worst case scenario. I just don't believe that's going to happen.

In fact, I believe just opposite might happen. When we're talking about the billions and billions, hundreds of billions actually, that we are losing each and every year due to trade imbalances, think of the positive effects not losing all that money can have.

I think we'll have to just wait and see, but that's my take.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-07-2018, 10:19 PM
OK, does anyone really think that IF the tariffs don't go through as proposed, US Steel is going to close that plant again? American steel has been on the upswing for the past 15-20 years, once they began to modernize.
Trump is kinda like a pit bull. I don't see him talking about tariffs and renegotiating trade deals without falling through, especially since it was one of his major talking points during his campaign, and so far we've seen he intends to keep his promises.

But your point taken, I'd say no, that plant is probably counting on SCOTUS hearing that case against unions and deciding that unions can't force anyone to join or pay dues just to keep the job if they're hired. That would break the choke hold unions have on big steel.

Elessar
03-08-2018, 01:41 AM
That's only one side of the equation. Why are their jobs more important than the jobs that will be lost in a trade war? Not to mention the number of people that will be thrown back across the poverty line by the runaway inflation.

It's not just as simple as "We'll get you back to work". A "wash" in the TOTAL job market is pointless and costly.

Ever been poor in WVA due to a coal strike and mill shut down? No Coal, no steel. No coal,
no truckers. No coal or steel, no railroads. No WORK!

Elessar
03-08-2018, 01:45 AM
Fuck the EPA. Right in the ass.

Nope! Good idea putting scrubbers on stacks.

Used to have to use headlights, and windshield wipers at 8 a.m. in Wierton WV.

Scrubbers are good.!

High_Plains_Drifter
03-08-2018, 07:58 AM
...without falling through, ...
"... without FOLLOWING through... "

The edit function disappears too fast I think. Should leave it for a couple days at least.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
03-08-2018, 08:21 AM
Will not be a great thing if the stranglehold of the damn union is not eradicated.
Our strong point is if they play ""tit for tat"" , we could just buy less steel from them and make more of our own.
Thing is if we commit, we had best commit fully..
If not -- THEN, GUNNY'S PREDICTION WILL LIKELY COME THROUGH AND WE END UP WITH OUR COLLECTIVE ASSES IN A SLING, IMHO.

A TRADE WAR OR NOT-- WAR HAS TO BE WON...-Tyr

Balu
03-08-2018, 08:42 AM
Will not be a great thing if the stranglehold of the damn union is not eradicated.
Our strong point is if they play ""tit for tat"" , we could just buy less steel from them and make more of our own.
If not -- THEN, GUNNY'S PREDICTION WILL LIKELY COME THROUGH AND WE END UP WITH OUR COLLECTIVE ASSES IN A SLING, IMHO.

This is fine. I appreciate any war between the US and Europe, any case when Americans start pressing their allies in any field led by there own interests only. The reciprocal reaction of the rest of the world may cure Americans of their complex of own exclusivity. Let me remind you that the USA has already lost forever the car markets of Australia, Asia, Europe and New Zealand and partly their own.
Besides, I think it is high time to bury WTO with all their rules and regulations. :clap:

Drummond
03-08-2018, 10:28 AM
This is fine. I appreciate any war between the US and Europe, any case when Americans start pressing their allies in any field led by there own interests only. The reciprocal reaction of the rest of the world may cure Americans of their complex of own exclusivity. Let me remind you that the USA has already lost forever the car markets of Australia, Asia, Europe and New Zealand and partly their own.
Besides, I think it is high time to bury WTO with all their rules and regulations. :clap:

We see more of your true nature, it seems, Balu. Not AT ALL friendly to America, are you ... not really.

Why DO you participate here, anyway ? What, in your own mind, is actually the point of it ? I'd like you to explain it in your own words. I'm inviting you to. In fact, I'm challenging you to ... Balu ....

Drummond
03-08-2018, 10:34 AM

Personally ... I'd like to see the arrogant European Union get a bloody nose out of it. If the US can bring them down to size, I'm absolutely all for it.

Good luck to America's welfare -- and I wish you the best in righting a few trading wrongs along the way.

Gunny
03-08-2018, 05:32 PM
Ever been poor in WVA due to a coal strike and mill shut down? No Coal, no steel. No coal,
no truckers. No coal or steel, no railroads. No WORK!Ever been poor because the price of steel jackrabbited and there isn't enough construction work to go around anymore? No affordable steel, no construction jobs, the electrical contractor shits down, no work.

Door swings BOTH directions.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-08-2018, 05:35 PM
You're out of your fucking mind. We've ALREADY been GETTING SCREWED. We can't do any WORSE. We can only do BETTER.

You're in for an EDUCATION on world trade, and what kind of power America has.

Go pound sand, moron.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-08-2018, 05:37 PM
Ever been poor because the price of steel jackrabbited and there isn't enough construction work to go around anymore? No affordable steel, no construction jobs, the electrical contractor shits down, no work.

It hasn't yet, and for the life of me, I don't know why you think it will, Gunny.

We only import 20% or our steel, and if we up production we really wouldn't have to import ANY steel.

So why do you see this as such a draconian situation?

Gunny
03-08-2018, 10:28 PM
BTW & FYI ... IL is NOT a right to work state. Your inflation dollars will be paying union fat cats.

Elessar
03-08-2018, 11:12 PM
Ever been poor because the price of steel jackrabbited and there isn't enough construction work to go around anymore? No affordable steel, no construction jobs, the electrical contractor shits down, no work.

I don't disagree with you much, but on This one you are wrong

You never lived there. You never had to scrape and save.

I fired a coal furnace in our house. When the Unions went on strike or
layout...Guess what! No Coal!

Balu
03-08-2018, 11:19 PM
It hasn't yet, and for the life of me, I don't know why you think it will, Gunny.

We only import 20% or our steel, and if we up production we really wouldn't have to import ANY steel.

So why do you see this as such a draconian situation?

From the first glance everything seems fine, but there is such thing as manufacturing costs of the domestic steel which will be transferred to all the products where it exist. And the price of the final product must be competitive with the existing. The same with aluminum.
Besides, as to aluminum, this will require the increase of generating ADDITIONAL CHEAP electricity to keep the costs at competitive level. Plus - the additional infrastructure for attracted working power, which should be duly trained and skilled.
So, you see, the task is much more complicated than it may seem.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-09-2018, 12:17 AM
From the first glance everything seems fine, but there is such thing as manufacturing costs of the domestic steel which will be transferred to all the products where it exist. And the price of the final product must be competitive with the existing. The same with aluminum.
Besides, as to aluminum, this will require the increase of generating ADDITIONAL CHEAP electricity to keep the costs at competitive level. Plus - the additional infrastructure for attracted working power, which should be duly trained and skilled.
So, you see, the task is much more complicated than it may seem.
For Christ sake man... you're talking out your ass. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a democrat here in America.

We already HAVE all that. It's ALL already in place. You sound like we're just going to START doing this like we've never done it BEFORE. American steel is the best in the WORLD. We know exactly what we're going. The ONLY thing we have to deal with with DEMOCRATS and their UNIONS that suck the life blood out of industry, and our supreme court in the very near future is going to decide whether or not they can do that anymore, and I have a sneaking suspicion which way that will go because our supreme court is now leaning conservative.

Ya know, you really don't get much mileage out of your propaganda here. Are there other websites you spread your BS on? Maybe you'd enjoy the D.U., or the Daily Kos.

Balu
03-09-2018, 03:10 AM
For Christ sake man... you're talking out your ass. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were a democrat here in America.

We already HAVE all that. It's ALL already in place. You sound like we're just going to START doing this like we've never done it BEFORE. American steel is the best in the WORLD. We know exactly what we're going. The ONLY thing we have to deal with with DEMOCRATS and their UNIONS that suck the life blood out of industry, and our supreme court in the very near future is going to decide whether or not they can do that anymore, and I have a sneaking suspicion which way that will go because our supreme court is now leaning conservative.

Ya know, you really don't get much mileage out of your propaganda here. Are there other websites you spread your BS on? Maybe you'd enjoy the D.U., or the Daily Kos.

Right, right. Time will tell. Though there is good saying - "Blessed is the mind - too small for doubt".
Good luck. :laugh:

Gunny
03-09-2018, 04:46 PM
I don't disagree with you much, but on This one you are wrong

You never lived there. You never had to scrape and save.

I fired a coal furnace in our house. When the Unions went on strike or
layout...Guess what! No Coal!I've lived in both IL and OH and I DO know what it's like. I could work in neither place because I am not union. I am not wrong. Your view is one-sided. I've lived on both sides of the street, AND motels and my vehicles a few times. Having nothing equates to having nothing, be it in Miami, OH or Miami, FL. Why do you think I joined the military? I could see a dead end for what it was even at 20, and Miami was IT.

Those unions go on strike to line THEIR pockets first with no regard for the customer and their regard for employees is as tools to accomplish their end. When labor unions became about themselves and not the workers they are supposed to represent, their trades started going to shit. They are just mini-US governments. It's about them, not the people.