PDA

View Full Version : Are violent video games causing the shootings?

mundame
03-08-2018, 10:08 AM
March 7, 2018: NEW YORK (AP) — In the wake of the Florida school shooting, President Donald Trump is reviving an old debate over whether violent video games can trigger violent behavior. There’s just one problem: Roughly two decades of research has repeatedly failed to uncover any such link.

Trump plans to meet Thursday with representatives from the video game industry. Trump’s recent public comments referencing the “vicious” level of game and movie violence in the context of school safety show that he is eager to explore the issue.

The Entertainment Software Association, the biggest video game trade group, said Monday that it will attend the meeting at the White House.

https://www.apnews.com/1bebc3d683b3430f940d58c20828fbb1/Trump-reopens-a-seemingly-settled-video-game-debate

The full article is quite interesting, to me at least, a gamer from the very first computer game in the 1980s (a text game variously named Adventure, Colossal Caves, etc.). I've played a sampling of them all, and have the old boxes on a bookcase to prove it.

I've generally avoided online games because a woman avatar online is constantly messaged with dirty messages and I always play as female. I played Dark Souls all the way thru New Game + (I get a lot of street cred for that), took me 8 months at about 3 hours daily, and whenever Xbox gave me "free" online access, which I didn't ask for and they would take off again, thank God, after about three days, but whenever they did that I would get highly dubious messages and of course people would come in from all over the world to kill my character.

So I didn't like that, and the real point of Dark Souls and other story games is basically "defeating" large lava-leaking centipedes with a giant battle axe, and that is not causing school shootings.

But last year the world-wide sensation PUBG (Playerunknown's Battlegrounds) hit on Linux, free, and Microsoft bought it and rewrote it for Xbox One, and I thought I would try it. You have to have a $10 per month subscription to Xbox Gold to allow play with other people worldwide, so you can see why Microsoft would want the game. Millions, literally millions, play it. I watch other people play on the new streaming channels for the spectator eSport -- Twitch and Mixer -- and new stars are born monthly with hundreds of thousands of followers watching them play. They now have charity invitational tournaments.

So your avatar, looking very like you, parachutes to an island with 99 other people, and the island is littered with modern weapons -- real assault rifles being the most popular (automatic or burst fire switches). It is not actually a shooter in the sense that the goal is Last Man Standing, the last person alive wins the game, which takes about half an hour and then you can start again. Unless you are killed, in which case you start a lot sooner. I play to survive into the top ten; most males play for the kills. (They say so on the streaming gameplay sites, that's how I know.)

Here's the thing: it is quite a rush to kill "real" people. Their avatars, that is -- it's a whole different feeling from killing a programmed monster in a story. I said exactly that on another forum and they deleted the thread and yelled at me! So I hope that doesn't happen here. But that's the whole issue, right? If there is an issue with these new online games "causing" school shootings.

I don't know. I think it's possible, and I have the experience. We are training up a whole lot of young people that it feels really great to shoot each other in a story adventure: you win, they lose, YES, I got him!! Nikolas Cruz was a gamer; one of the police visits to their home happened because he slammed his mother up against the wall when she took away his Xbox console.

I'm concerned about the moral dimensions of modern entertainment.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-08-2018, 11:21 AM
OF COURSE the video game industry is going to say there's NO LINK... that's a no brainer... they're not going to "shoot themselves" in the foot. They're going to find people that will "find" in their favor and find "no link."

But when these games can be played in virtual reality, and if you've never seen VR before, believe me, it's 3D and realistic as HELL. You can't tell me that hours, days, months and yes, YEARS of this DOESN'T desensitize someone. I don't see any possible way it COULDN'T.

And another little tid bit, we didn't have this kind of stuff being done back when I was a kid, and guess what, we didn't have high definition, 3D games where you could go around KILLING and RAPING in such realism that it should shock just about anyone, and who is it that's playing these games? Kids. And who is it that's been shooting things up? Kids.Then imagine a kid that's unstable to begin with, and subject him to these kinds of games... I think the connection is OBVIOUS.

And all these ENDLESS shoot 'em up, BLOW 'em up, KILL 'em movies being pumped out of hollyweird aren't helping either. What in the FUCK every happened to movies like "The Wizard of Oz," or "American Graffiti," or "Paint Your Wagon?" Movies that were FUN, that told a STORY, why did they stop making those kinds of movies? Why does every movie that comes out of hollyweird have to have a FAG, and a black guy white girl love relationship?

Black Diamond
03-08-2018, 11:23 AM
Aren't violent video games 18+?

High_Plains_Drifter
03-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Aren't violent video games 18+?
Nope... https://patch.com/california/coronado/supreme-court-rules-minors-can-purchase-violent-video-games

Black Diamond
03-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Nope... https://patch.com/california/coronado/supreme-court-rules-minors-can-purchase-violent-video-games
Nice.

Elessar
03-08-2018, 12:33 PM
Of course they are an influence.

Get some mentally disturbed or spoiled brat that plays the violent 'shoot em ups'
thinks it can be done in real life.

They get the notion that they are invincible.

In the one forum I am a member of, a builder, creator, warrior....they last about 5 seconds.

mundame
03-08-2018, 03:09 PM
And all these ENDLESS shoot 'em up, BLOW 'em up, KILL 'em movies being pumped out of hollyweird aren't helping either. What in the FUCK every happened to movies like "The Wizard of Oz," or "American Graffiti," or "Paint Your Wagon?" Movies that were FUN, that told a STORY, why did they stop making those kinds of movies? Why does every movie that comes out of hollyweird have to have a FAG, and a black guy white girl love relationship?

Oh, you've noticed that too, huh? Any white woman who doesn't want to go with a black man, I guess we're abnormal, is the new idea from our Hollywood. Nice. I've explicitly advised my granddaughters NOT to do this. The public pressure is just so heavy on them to do just that.

I just read the Entertainment Software Industry handout on all this, and they are saying that game buyers AVERAGE age 37. I think that is bogus in the sense that this is the age of the parents buying the games for their teenage children, IMO. True, there are more older players that people think --- three in this thread, looks like.

Yeah, the ultra violent movies and novels as well as the violent games. This is their theme, one and all: vigilantes. These men over here are bad, so we get to kill them all, and that's the whole rest of the movie or novel or game, killing them all.

I think there could be a cause/effect confusion here. The society is already incredibly violent and we cannot depend on police or anyone to protect us or prevent any of the crime, nor can we hope they will execute evildoers --- the few they catch, they just let out to do all over again. So the games, novels, movies are maybe a fantasy of self-protection (all the gun purchases, too).

I'm saying maybe the real violence causes the games, not the games the real violence.

aboutime
03-08-2018, 03:15 PM
I don't blame the video games. I blame the LACK of supervision, by parents who 1. BUY them. and 2. Use them to keep their (FRIENDS) children quiet, and out of the way.

pete311
03-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Personal fucking responsibility. Right?

aboutime
03-08-2018, 04:59 PM

Yes. Something you should learn.

hjmick
03-08-2018, 05:13 PM
No.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-08-2018, 05:20 PM
Is that your answer to all the violence and shootings... "personal fucking responsibility?"

Then it's NOT the GUNS... right?

pete311
03-09-2018, 09:32 AM
Is that your answer to all the violence and shootings... "personal fucking responsibility?"

Then it's NOT the GUNS... right?

Just be consistent on your end. Video games don't kill people.

Elessar
03-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Just be consistent on your end. Video games don't kill people.

People kill people by whatever means they can find.

I can do it with a pencil. It does not need to be a firearm.

mundame
03-09-2018, 10:43 AM
People kill people by whatever means they can find.

I can do it with a pencil. It does not need to be a firearm.

You and John Wick --- that was a famous example of his deadliness from those two films.

I am looking at the Washington Times for this morning right now: there front and center is a big picture of Keanu Reeves as John Wick. I had just this week watched part of BOTH his JW films and sent both back after about 1/4. The violence is --- well, that's all the movie is about. No plot. Killing all the dozens of people in the organization that killed his new beagle puppy. (Really. That was No. 1 -- in No. 2 he has a grown pit bull, which did seem more appropriate.) The article says Hollywood carries on about gun ownership, but puts out vigilante violence movies one after the other, fast as they can. All of these movie heroes (who do protest against citizen gun ownership while off set) kill the dozens and dozens in their movies with guns, mostly. And whatever else comes to hand. Pencils, cars, knives.

The fundamental theme in movies, novels, and games now is vigilante justice. The law won't punish or control criminals anymore, as we all do know, so all these fictional heroes have to go kill them. I have a lot of thoughts about this issue -- I think execution is appropriate for most crimes, but I think it's too bad about the refusal of government to be responsible. The movies are right about this, but the problem is the kids don't go after Mexican drug lords or terrorists: they go after their high school. Mostly girls. They've got the stats: mostly girls are aimed at and killed.

mundame
03-09-2018, 10:45 AM
There are two hypocrisy issues about Hollywood working now.

1. They make history's most violent fiction of all types, mostly gun killings by private citizens, while trying to gun-grab every citizen's guns so we can't defend ourselves. WHAT???

2. The women wear black dresses to complain about sexual assault and harassment, but give a standing ovation the same evening to Roman Polanski. WHAT???