PDA

View Full Version : Helo Crash in East River, NY

Elessar
03-12-2018, 09:20 AM
This sucks.

I hated working plane crashes.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/03/12/pilot-radioed-for-help-before-fatal-crash-in-new-york-citys-east-river/23382889/

pete311
03-12-2018, 09:23 AM
"The pilot said a passenger's bag may have hit a fuel shutoff button"

oh good lord, how is that even possible!? It's that easy to crash a helo? No one thought to maybe protect that button?

Looked like a good water landing, but it flipped upside down under water and appears people drowned.

Elessar
03-12-2018, 10:15 AM

oh good lord, how is that even possible!? It's that easy to crash a helo? No one thought to maybe protect that button?

Looked like a good water landing, but it flipped upside down under water and appears people drowned.

I would think the buttons should be shielded with a flip-up tab.
I do know the rotor brakes are above the pilot's head. We had one crash in the surf
because the copilot bumped the rotor brakes when going back to help the flight mech
during a hoist. The cockpit on those Euro-copters are really tiny and confined.

This was a single engine model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurocopter_AS350_%C3%89cureuil

Those things are top-heavy and will not stay afloat. Even with flotation bags anything
over a 1 foot choppy sea or high wind will flip them.

Gunny
03-12-2018, 11:27 AM

Looked like a good water landing, but it flipped upside down under water and appears people drowned.Once again proving you are over your head. Obviously, helicopters aren't your subject either.

They like to flip upside down under water. Supposed to orient yourself when you get in to the escape hatch.

And before you start ... if you don't know how to escape a helicopter don't get on the damned thing. They aren't toys. Matter of fact they are extremely dangerous and why anyone would use them for "dumb civilian" transport beats the Hell out of me. Maybe they'll let you nimrods use destroyers for fishing boats next :rolleyes:

pete311
03-12-2018, 11:54 AM
The photo posted from the dudes in the helo moments before the crash is crazy chilling.

pete311
03-12-2018, 12:01 PM
"One of the most difficult parts of the rescue were that five people were tightly harnessed," Fire Department of New York Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. "People had to be cut out."

Absolutely chilling thinking the friends drowned together and couldn't even get out of their seats.

Gunny
03-12-2018, 12:08 PM
The answer is ... no. If educated is what you call "being an arrogant prick" then I guess I am. If YOU want to get on something that scientifically cannot fly, then wonder why it crashes, be my guest.

I can fastrope out of the hel hole onto a moving deck out of one provided it doesn't lose power which they are prone to do and pancake my ass.

I don't consider it arrogant at all knowing WTF I am getting my a$$ into. I call it "prepared". Stop bleating like a sheep in my rep for zero impact and go take a helo ride, huh?

Elessar
03-12-2018, 12:26 PM
"One of the most difficult parts of the rescue were that five people were tightly harnessed," Fire Department of New York Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. "People had to be cut out."

Absolutely chilling thinking the friends drowned together and couldn't even get out of their seats.

One of the most important things stressed when I took helo flights in the CG was how to
release and egress, plus I had rescue swimmer training.

What the civilian standards are, I do not know.

pete311
03-12-2018, 12:29 PM
One of the most important things stressed when I took helo flights in the CG was how to

Absolutely. It's irresponsible for the helo company not to give a 5min lesson on how to get out. I wonder if the pilot told them to tighten straps for the crash. Panic can make even simple tasks complicated. Perhaps the straps did have easy releases.

Elessar
03-12-2018, 12:29 PM

Pilot should have told them how to release in case of an emergency.

Elessar
03-12-2018, 12:32 PM
Absolutely. It's irresponsible for the helo company not to give a 5min lesson on how to get out. I wonder if the pilot told them to tighten straps for the crash. Panic can make even simple tasks complicated. Perhaps the straps did have easy releases.

Ours do have quick releases. Just 1/4 spin of the dial and you are free.

Again, not sure about civilian copters.

Elessar
03-12-2018, 12:37 PM
O Matter of fact they are extremely dangerous and why anyone would use them for "dumb civilian" transport beats the Hell out of me. Maybe they'll let you nimrods use destroyers for fishing boats next :rolleyes:

Copters are common in NYC for sight seeing, photo runs, and news events.

Cannot run a fixed wing through those buildings.

Gunny
03-12-2018, 12:55 PM

Cannot run a fixed wing through those buildings.Sorry. Had enough helo rides for one or two lifetimes. I won't get on one just for fun. Roller coasters are probably safer.

Gunny
03-12-2018, 05:53 PM

Cannot run a fixed wing through those buildings.Define "not very bright". It is an open door ride where you are harnessed to the helo. Not in a million f-ing years. I always carried an extra blade on my harness for the sole purpose of cutting through that crappy seat belt in case the bird took a dive. You ain't going to voluntarily harness me to one of them damned things.

Bilgerat
03-14-2018, 09:39 AM

During training, they prep you for it.
They explain the who's, what's and why's.
Then they show you what's gonna happen.

Still made me scared as hell when I went into the trainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbX8Tqvte3o

And for you Gunny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr2B_Gay2f0

jimnyc
03-14-2018, 09:54 AM

They probably did.

But others in the military, and pilots, will go through intense training for such events. It's not easy, the dis-orientation, and inability to unstrap, swim down, then up, not as easy as it sounds or appears. So folks panic, suck in water and struggle instead of remaining calm and taking their time to get the belt off and get the F out of dodge. Even if it's just a hit the button for release, the panic and struggling make it too difficult for some and they screw themselves. :(

Gunny
03-14-2018, 02:13 PM
During training, they prep you for it.
They explain the who's, what's and why's.
Then they show you what's gonna happen.

Still made me scared as hell when I went into the trainer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbX8Tqvte3o

And for you Gunny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr2B_Gay2f0I took that training. I didn't think anything about it honestly. I just brain-locked on the steps. We lost a helo during work-ups on my last MEU ride and the CO went nuts and made us all get HEEDS qualified.

Gunny
03-14-2018, 02:16 PM
They probably did.

But others in the military, and pilots, will go through intense training for such events. It's not easy, the dis-orientation, and inability to unstrap, swim down, then up, not as easy as it sounds or appears. So folks panic, suck in water and struggle instead of remaining calm and taking their time to get the belt off and get the F out of dodge. Even if it's just a hit the button for release, the panic and struggling make it too difficult for some and they screw themselves. :(The hardest part is holding your breath and waiting for the knuckleheads around you to quit panicking before going for the hatch. Get kicked in the head if you don't.