PDA

View Full Version : IPhone

Abbey Marie
03-16-2018, 06:38 PM
Does anyone have issues logging in here on their iPhone? Any malware pop up?

Abbey Marie
03-17-2018, 06:52 PM
Let's try this- is anyone using this site on an iPhone 8?

Gunny
03-17-2018, 06:59 PM
Let's try this- is anyone using this site on an iPhone 8?I'd like to help you out, Abbey ... BUT ...:laugh:

I have a Galaxy S8 or some such crap. I think it's a droid. I don't even get on the internet on it. Too small. Point is, I saw your post yesterday, but don't have a lot to offer.

I think Pete uses his phone but I don't know what type it is.

Abbey Marie
03-17-2018, 07:27 PM
I'd like to help you out, Abbey ... BUT ...:laugh:

I have a Galaxy S8 or some such crap. I think it's a droid. I don't even get on the internet on it. Too small. Point is, I saw your post yesterday, but don't have a lot to offer.

I think Pete uses his phone but I don't know what type it is.

Thank you. Going nuts here...

SassyLady
03-18-2018, 01:45 AM
Hate Apple products ... so can't help you. :dunno:

LongTermGuy
03-18-2018, 02:20 AM
Hate Apple products ... so can't help you. :dunno:

Myself also...

still enjoying my older Galaxy Android S6 PLus edge...no issues.

NightTrain
03-18-2018, 07:47 AM
I really wouldn't think it's an iPhone issue... but I'm out of ideas, Abs.

In a few hours when it's a reasonable time I'll have my brother join the board and try using it with his iPhone. Everyone else I know uses androids.

Drummond
03-18-2018, 07:51 AM
Android phones are superior, in my view.

Has anybody noticed how phones these days are being made with a built-in obsolescence factor ? Newer models have batteries you can't remove. Consequently, when the battery dies, so does the phone.

The last phone I'm aware of which has a removable and replaceable battery is the Samsung S4. It's capable, I think, of HD image reproduction from Netflix, for example ... yet lacks that obsolescence factor. It's worthwhile looking out for that model if you're looking for a replacement, in my humble opinion ....

Abbey Marie
03-18-2018, 08:42 AM
I really wouldn't think it's an iPhone issue... but I'm out of ideas, Abs.

In a few hours when it's a reasonable time I'll have my brother join the board and try using it with his iPhone. Everyone else I know uses androids.

Thank you, Drummond. It's an iPhone 8, runnining on 11, I believe.

And hopefully your brother will like it here...:cool:

High_Plains_Drifter
03-18-2018, 08:52 AM
Wow... and here I'm a techie guy and it sounds like I have the oldest smart phone here, mine is an S5 Galaxy. After looking at the prices of the new phones I just decided I'm using this S5 until it craps out completely.

Like Gunny, I don't use it much for internet either, and for the same reason. I don't like that tiny screen. I will look things up every once and awhile on it on the internet when it's necessary, and I have used it for GPS while driving. Google maps works great for that.

Sorry I can't help ya out either, Abs.

jimnyc
03-18-2018, 09:29 AM
For others:

I don't necessarily believe this is an Iphone or Iphone 8 issue, but rather the site and a cell phone not lining up just right. The best is with a browser that doesn't have any unruly additions to it, perhaps a pop-up blocker installed naturally, and using the "remember me" option when logging in or hope the device itself and the site work together nicely using cookies, so that you don't accidentally get logged out. :)

But if others have more to add, please do, as the more data we can get the easier to help troubleshoot this and other similar issues.

jimnyc
03-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Wow... and here I'm a techie guy and it sounds like I have the oldest smart phone here, mine is an S5 Galaxy. After looking at the prices of the new phones I just decided I'm using this S5 until it craps out completely.

Like Gunny, I don't use it much for internet either, and for the same reason. I don't like that tiny screen. I will look things up every once and awhile on it on the internet when it's necessary, and I have used it for GPS while driving. Google maps works great for that.

Sorry I can't help ya out either, Abs.

I AM a techie guy, a geek, taking personally when I can't fix things - and I'm THRILLED still with my Galaxy S5!! I'm thinking of going 9 though...

High_Plains_Drifter
03-18-2018, 01:15 PM
I AM a techie guy, a geek, taking personally when I can't fix things - and I'm THRILLED still with my Galaxy S5!! I'm thinking of going 9 though...
Yeah I like my S5. It's got a great OLED display and does everything I want it to do, and I've looked at the new phones and I don't see anything they do different that would justify the huge price tag to replace it. My battery is getting old though and that'll probably be what drives me to buy a new one, and I will get the latest and greatest Galaxy. I'm on my third one and I like them. Sister has an iphone 8 and I don't like it. Son has the new LG and I don't like it. I'll stick with Samsung, they've been really good to me, no reason to switch brands.

Russ
03-18-2018, 07:15 PM
We worked on this for a while last night and we might have a fix, or at least a workaround.

There are a few websites where the same problem is being discussed:
- https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8095082?start=30&tstart=0
- https://ask.metafilter.com/319471/Is-this-iOS-Amazon-gift-card-hijack-malware-or-bad-ads

It sounds like it is a redirect, not a popup, and the redirect is contained within a common group of ads that a lot of websites have. Users tend to notice this redirect on whatever website they use most commonly. The redirect is not caught by popup blockers because it isn't a popup. And apparently it is not stopped by Private Mode either.

Some versions of Apple iOS are more vulnerable to the redirect that other versions, I think. Abbey's new iPhone has the latest iOS 11.2.6, which apparently is vulnerable. Her previous iPhone used 11.2.1, which I guess was much less vulnerable. Ditto with the iPad. This discussion makes it fairly clear that Samsung doesn't have this problem.

Anyway, I suppose an iOS downgrade might have helped, but what we tried was switching to the "Brave" browser, which is a browser that specializes in blocking popups and redirects, and it seems to have stopped the problem. We will let you know if any problems come back.

If anyone has an iPhone or iPad, I would recommend not upgrading to 11.2.6.

jimnyc
03-19-2018, 06:04 AM
That is something I did not think of. Folks CAN be unruly with the Google Ads I have displayed, but very rarely. IF they are dumb enough to try and play tricks with flash - those folks can have their accounts closed and lose any funding they may have. That's not to say that's what this is - but I suppose anything is possible when you are under the control of others. I am debating removing them altogether, as the income from them is so extremely low that it's not even really worth keeping them up there anymore.

jimnyc
03-19-2018, 06:06 AM
Abbey, Russ - another troubleshooting we can try when you guys are prepared - is I can remove the ads during a certain time, then hop on over here with the new phone and any browsers and see if the problem goes away or not? The board software alone should NEVER be redirecting anyone, so if it is ad related, it would have to be the ads up there now.

Abbey Marie
03-19-2018, 03:41 PM
That sounds like a plan. Let me talk to my guy.

Btw, I'm unable to post any of the screen shots here. The error message says "This jpeg image has the incorrect file extension".