PDA

View Full Version : Some marched, some went to kill

jimnyc
03-25-2018, 11:55 AM
Oh ok, so they didn't go to kill. These 44 kids went to go practice their shooting instead.

And they didn't advertise it.

They didn't demand tolerance.

They didn't demand microphones and cameras.

They likely know that guns are inanimate objects, so they are learning to use them, instead of protesting them.

The PERSON killed 17 students. I don't see folks out protesting him, his family, the school, the police & the FBI are more guilty here than an inanimate gun.

But that's not part of the agenda, the demands to make others change and perhaps give up their rights.

Ain't happening here, that's for damn sure.

--

While others march, these teens shoot. At targets.

EATONTON, Ga. — Nearly four dozen high school students gathered at the Rock Eagle 4-H Conference Center here on Saturday, at about the same time that another group of high school students gathered on an outdoor stage in Washington, D.C.

Those at the D.C. rally had come to demand gun control. Those here in Eatonton had come to do some shooting.

This .22 Rimfire Silhouette Exhibition Match had been scheduled long before 17 people were killed at the Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., and therefore long before the survivors of that rampage had sparked a national protest movement. But even if this daylong test of marksmanship wasn’t deliberate counterprogramming, it did provide an illuminating counterpoint.

There has been much talk since Parkland of the younger generation — the one that grew up hearing of shootings in other schools and participating in shooter drills at their own — and of how those teenagers are changing the conversation about guns. But every American generation is as multifaceted as the country itself, and the 44 high schoolers who took up their rifles in Georgia as their counterparts took up microphones in Washington also have something to say.

“No doubt a lot of this generation doesn’t think we need to have guns,” said Cole Cook, a ninth grader from Barstow County who has been shooting since his father first taught him at the age of 6. “I think they’re wrong. And I’m part of this generation too.”

Currently 4,500 children and teens participate in Georgia’s 4-H Shooting Clubs, says Craven Hudson, the shooting sports coordinator of Georgia 4-H. There are gun programs in 110 of the 159 counties in the state, he says, a ladder that introduces fourth through sixth graders to BB guns, seventh through ninth graders to air rifles and high school students to .22s, which are intended for hunting but can be adapted to shoot as semiautomatics. In a silhouette competition those rifles are aimed at tiny metal outlines of chickens, pigs, turkeys and rams, with two and a half minutes per round to knock down a cluster of each.

The several dozen competitors interviewed at Saturday’s event said that what attracts them to the program is not only, or even mostly, the guns.

“I love the fact that I get to compete against myself,” said 16-year-old Meaghan Moses, who had driven from Dublin, Ga., with her mother, sister and two coaches. She has had health issues that sometimes interfere with normal eating, but feels strong when she is shooting, which she does nearly every day. “She shot with her feeding tube more than once,” says her mother, Jennifer Renfroue. “She shot in the snow in Alabama last December. Her goal is to shoot in all 50 states.”

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/news/others-march-teens-shoot-targets-013605594.html