PDA

View Full Version : Britain’s May Calls For ‘Long-Term Response’ To Russia After Spy Poisoning

Gunny
03-27-2018, 08:27 PM
March 28, 2018
By William James
LONDON (Reuters) – British Prime Minister Theresa May called on Tuesday for a “long-term response” by the West to the security threat from Russia as NATO followed member states in expelling Russian diplomats over the poisoning of a double agent in England.
In the most sweeping such action against Moscow since the height of the Cold War, the United States and European Union members plan to expel scores of Russian diplomats in action against the Kremlin for the nerve agent attack on Sergei Skripal and his daughter which they have blamed on Russia.
Russia, which denies any part in the March 4 attack on the Skripals, says the West’s action is a “provocative gesture” and has said it will respond.
The coordinated action among Western allies is seen as a huge diplomatic coup for May whose country is preparing to exit the EU bloc and may have had doubts about how much support she could count on.
Speaking to senior cabinet members in London on Tuesday, May said countries had acted against Russia not just out of solidarity but because they recognized the threat it posed.
“Yesterday was a significant moment in our response to this reckless act of aggression, but there is still more to be done as we work with international partners on a long-term response to the challenge posed by Russia,” her spokesman reported May as saying.
The U.S.-led NATO alliance followed suit announcing on Tuesday it was expelling seven diplomats from Russia’s mission at alliance headquarters in Brussels and blocking the appointment of three others, thus cutting the size of the mission to 20 people from 30.
“It sends a very clear message to Russia that it has costs,” NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg said.
EU member Ireland and Moldova on Tuesday joined the list of those countries expelling Russian diplomats over the Skripal poisoning.
The list includes 22 European countries including Britain itself which led the way by expelling 23 diplomats.
EXPULSIONS
In the toughest action that President Donald Trump has taken against Russia since coming to office, the United States has said it will expel 60 Russians, including 12 intelligence officers from Russia’s mission to the U.N. headquarters in New York.
It is also closing the Russian consulate in Seattle.
Trump discussed Russia in separate phone calls on Tuesday with French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
The leaders endorsed the Western response to Russia’s chemical weapons attack in Britain, including the expulsion of Russian diplomatic personnel, the White House said.
U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis hailed the diplomatic expulsions as a statement to those who doubted the unity of NATO.
“Russia has the potential to be a partner with Europe … (but) I think right now we have to recognize that they have chosen to seek a different relationship with the NATO nations,” he told reporters.
In Prague, Paul Ryan, the Republican U.S. House Speaker, on Tuesday commended unity shown over the affair. “It is important that we work in solidarity with each other, free people in democracies to stop Russia and condemn Russia for this kind of belligerent activity,” Ryan said.
Russia has not disclosed yet what retaliatory steps it will take. President Vladimir Putin was on Tuesday in the Siberian city of Kemerovo at the scene of a shopping mall fire which claimed many lives. He made no comment on the Skripal affair.
Skripal’s poisoning, which Britain says was caused by use of the Soviet-era military-grade nerve agent Novichok, is the first known offensive use of a nerve toxin in Europe since World War Two.
The attack on the 66-year-old Skripal and Yulia Skripal, his 33-year-old daughter, took place in the English cathedral city of Salisbury where he had been living since being swapped in a spy exchange deal in 2010.
They were found on March 4 unconscious on a public bench in the city and a British court says they may have suffered permanent brain damage (http://www.oann.com/britains-may-calls-for-long-term-response-to-russia-after-spy-poisoning/#) in the attack.
The Kremlin has accused Britain of whipping up an anti-Russia campaign and sought to cast doubt on the British analysis that Moscow was responsible.
(Additional reporting by Idrees Ali, Phil Stewart and David Alexander in Washington, Robin Emmott in Brussels and Padraic Halpin in Dublin, Matthias Williams and Natalia Zinets in Kiev; Writing By Richard Balmforth; Editing by Andrew Heavens)
http://www.oann.com/britains-may-calls-for-long-term-response-to-russia-after-spy-poisoning/

I'm impressed. Sort of. 23 Nations. I didn't know NATO had that many nations left with any stones. Putin threatens to retaliate but with what? Oil? Guess what WE have lots of nowadays :happy0203: Enough to sink his economy as a matter of fact.

Drummond
03-27-2018, 10:36 PM
http://www.oann.com/britains-may-calls-for-long-term-response-to-russia-after-spy-poisoning/

I'm impressed. Sort of. 23 Nations. I didn't know NATO had that many nations left with any stones. Putin threatens to retaliate but with what? Oil? Guess what WE have lots of nowadays :happy0203: Enough to sink his economy as a matter of fact.

I wonder if all those countries are making headway with Putin ? Whether they, together, are convincing even Putin that sheer arrogance isn't always wise ?

I doubt it, personally. I don't think that the Russian position will change on this, at any level. Even if Putin might privately regret how far this has gone, still, he'll never find the decency to do what's right.

He's still wedded to his 'Might is Right' approach to world affairs.

But, still -- I'm proud of all those nations who've shown a moral backbone. It testifies to the fundamental decency of the West. That OUR values are the superior ones.

Papokarlo
03-28-2018, 02:52 AM
based on six slides, do they draw conclusions? ahaaha, it's a shame

Papokarlo
03-28-2018, 03:03 AM
London politics is collapsing. it's a shame. we are shown six slides, which I can do in photoshop, and want the world to believe it? ahahaha, shame.

Papokarlo
03-28-2018, 03:09 AM
they are there in London think that the people of our planet Earth-Idiots

Gunny
03-28-2018, 05:53 AM

London politics is collapsing. it's a shame. we are shown six slides, which I can do in photoshop, and want the world to believe it? ahahaha, shame.

THIS. Right HERE. THIS is THE reason Great Britain went to the Hague and not Russia. Denial, denial, denial. Nothing but lame excuses. It is also the reason Russia is getting hammered.

Having a President that thinks he's "the Fonz" has its price.

Drummond
03-28-2018, 08:30 AM

.. eh ? 'London politics is collapsing' ... ? You're utterly delusional.

We get support against you from 26 countries ... and OUR politics is collapsing ??

This is a sick joke. You just CAN'T be serious !

Fact is that you're desperate to deny and ridicule ... when your side should instead be acting responsibly. Not like bandits.

Joke or not -- it's also a concern. A belligerent nuclear power that thinks it can do what it likes (no matter how appalling), whenever it likes, and be immune to criticism &/or censure ... we in the rest of the world HAVE to consider you a threat to our security. How can't we ?

And, how can we sit idly by and just allow it ?

[If our roles were reversed .. what would YOU be doing ?]

You know what ? I'm trying - and failing - to see any difference between your regime and the N Korean one. Both have leaders who'll indulge their belligerence at the cost of world security .. and with nukes in their arsenals, no less.

- My. You must be 'proud' ... eh ?

jimnyc
03-28-2018, 08:31 AM

Collapsing? The ONLY area perhaps collapsing and receiving negativity around the world - RUSSIA.

And there's a reason that the entire world believes the UK and other countries instead of Russia - that's because Putin is a criminal thug, and Russia has a reputation.

Deal with it and enjoy.

High_Plains_Drifter
03-28-2018, 09:21 AM
The more I learn about Putin, the more I think he's nothing more than a sawed off little KGB prick with short man syndrome. Kinda reminds me of HITLER. Him winning this last election, in such GRAND style, just told me that he's nothing more than a DICTATOR. NO ONE wins with those kinds of numbers, NO ONE, ANYWHERE... unless you have an asshole that KILLS OFF and scares off his competition, like HITLER DID.

Putin needs to have his ass handed to him. He needs to dial back his bull shit. He ain't all what he thinks he's cracked up to be. It wouldn't be that hard to topple Russia's fragile economy so he better wise up. I'm starting to get sick of hearing about that little ass clown and his antics.

Elessar
03-28-2018, 06:39 PM
The more I learn about Putin, the more I think he's nothing more than a sawed off little KGB prick with short man syndrome. Kinda reminds me of HITLER. Him winning this last election, in such GRAND style, just told me that he's nothing more than a DICTATOR. NO ONE wins with those kinds of numbers, NO ONE, ANYWHERE... unless you have an asshole that KILLS OFF and scares off his competition, like HITLER DID.

Putin needs to have his ass handed to him. He needs to dial back his bull shit. He ain't all what he thinks he's cracked up to be. It wouldn't be that hard to topple Russia's fragile economy so he better wise up. I'm starting to get sick of hearing about that little ass clown and his antics.

Weak nation is what Russia has become. Rigged elections under the guise of "Democratic Elections'?

Give me a break!

Rigged to satisfy the remnants of the old Communist oppression of the Cold War.

Drummond
03-28-2018, 07:08 PM
Weak nation is what Russia has become. Rigged elections under the guise of "Democratic Elections'?

Give me a break!

Rigged to satisfy the remnants of the old Communist oppression of the Cold War.

I'm not sure that Russia has ever been properly democratic ... other than in name only.

Putin's mentality is set in the old cold war, KGB days. He hasn't moved on from them, not really, and he has no interest in genuinely trying to. Russia is a Police State, in which it's understood that if you oppose him, you can expect to suffer for it.

Regimes such as his respect strength. They respond only to strength. Decency, democracy, the value of individual life (other than Putin's own), moral fiber .. these are at best exploitable to him, and at worst, meaningless terms he doesn't care to acquaint himself with.

Such is his arrogance that he'll no doubt try to shrug off the combined voice of 26 nations. So .. our call, now, for a long-term response makes sense, and is mandated because of continuing Russian moral bankruptcy.

Gunny
03-28-2018, 09:32 PM
I'm not sure that Russia has ever been properly democratic ... other than in name only.

Putin's mentality is set in the old cold war, KGB days. He hasn't moved on from them, not really, and he has no interest in genuinely trying to. Russia is a Police State, in which it's understood that if you oppose him, you can expect to suffer for it.

Regimes such as his respect strength. They respond only to strength. Decency, democracy, the value of individual life (other than Putin's own), moral fiber .. these are at best exploitable to him, and at worst, meaningless terms he doesn't care to acquaint himself with.

Such is his arrogance that he'll no doubt try to shrug off the combined voice of 26 nations. So .. our call, now, for a long-term response makes sense, and is mandated because of continuing Russian moral bankruptcy.I caught the "long-term response" part, but I haven't heard any suggestions.

Drummond
03-28-2018, 09:43 PM
I caught the "long-term response" part, but I haven't heard any suggestions.

It's a work in progress, one we want to develop with allies.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-russia/may-calls-for-long-term-response-to-russia-after-spy-poisoning-idUSKBN1H32BY

The coordinated action among Western allies is seen as a huge diplomatic coup for May whose country is preparing to exit the EU bloc and may have had doubts about how much support she could count on.

Speaking to senior cabinet members in London on Tuesday, May said countries had acted against Russia not just out of solidarity but because they recognized the threat it posed.

“Yesterday was a significant moment in our response to this reckless act of aggression, but there is still more to be done as we work with international partners on a long-term response to the challenge posed by Russia,” her spokesman reported May as saying.

If Putin's Russia thought that, after a time, all of this would be just forgotten about and things would return to 'business as usual', Theresa May is set upon ensuring that a bigger lesson will be taught.

International disgust, and a need to work to stem Russia's murderous bandit belligerency, will be ongoing for rather longer than Putin will like.