PDA

View Full Version : Friend or foe?

jimnyc
03-31-2018, 02:37 PM
I made a statement on Faceboook awhile back, seeking some answers, but unfortunately only get replies from Trump supporters... no direct answers, but I didn't exactly ask directly either.

I was asking them, even one family member in there, why any of them may be treating me differently since the election. Many of them are just outright ignoring me, or being cold. I have treated them ALL THE SAME. Hell, I don't bring up any election or Trump stuff with them, as I prefer the friendships and relationships more than I need the political headaches. Sure, I'm always going to have my opinion, and I will always vote as I see fit. But that's where it should end, and my friends shouldn't be treating me differently or ignoring me or whatever, simply because they know I support Trump.

What I have done with some closer friends of mine, in addition to avoiding politics of course, was go out of my way to try and do things that were fun to get us together and what not. But nope, standoffish was what I got. Now, with the one family member, I spoke with that person about this very issue. While I was of course told there was nothing different, and that they don't see anything differently, but that they saw me differently. THEY SAW ME differently. I asked what it was that I have been saying or doing that made me different than prior to the election. CRICKETS and along the lines of "it's just what I see and feel" or something like that.

Perhaps that person sees the difference they WANT to see. But IMO, it's on their end.

Sure, this election opened up some wounds that will take time to heal. But there is no reason for friends or family to distance themselves over politics.

Now I have heard ALL of the nightmare stories, and it has always blew my mind that people would allow politics to ruin friendships. But then reading a lot of them where family members actually get divorced over it - and not really man/wife, but I mean divorced as in not communicating anymore. To me, that's insane. I would NEVER allow anything short of catastrophic to come between us.

But I feel a lot of the wounds from this election. I'm sure folks see me differently. But like Roseanne said to Kimmel, I think I am the same, and those folks went way out there. :(

Abbey Marie
04-01-2018, 09:26 AM
I will admit that I do not enjoy being around super-liberal folks. But I am, and remain the same in relationships with actual friends and family regardless of politics. It would make me wonder how much someone could have really cared about me, if they dropped me over politics. I have some very liberal cousins who post anti-Trump stuff on FB regularly. I ignore it and we communicate on other topics. They know my politics and seem able to still like me. From what I can tell.

jimnyc
04-01-2018, 12:05 PM
I will admit that I do not enjoy being around super-liberal folks. But I am, and remainthe same in relationships with actual friends and family regardless of politics. It would make me wonder how much someone could have really cared about me, if they dropped me over politics. I have some very liberal cousins who post anti-Trump stuff on FB regularly. I ignore it and we communicate on other topics. They know my politics and seem able to still like me. From what I can tell.

Yup, same here, but some will swear it's us who have changed. I am moving away from such arguments, as there will never be a winner and never be a true understanding, IMO.

I agree about the caring. I JUST had a conversation with my Aunt on FB, who is super liberal, and likes to continually call out "Trump supporters" and point and jab and that kind of stuff. I called her out on it and explained that I was a huge and proud Trump supporter, and that the continual painting with large brushes and generalizations just simply don't fit and don't work.

I thought I was polite, but direct to the point. She replied, but only about something I agreed with her about (Roseanne's crude national anthem), but ignored what I said about generalizing and pointing at others. Oh well. Her loss, not mine. She would rather remain in her little world, considering Trump supporters as some sort of enemies, hoping for failure & not a peep about what is good for our country. :dunno: