PDA

View Full Version : Citizen of the United States of America

Yurt
08-19-2007, 02:20 PM
My wife on Friday became a citizen of the United States of America!

:cheers2:

She is Canadian, so it was not such an emotional journey as some, it was an honor nonetheless.

8000 people in the Los Angeles convention center, west hall. So that she could get processed out first and thus leave first, we arrived at 6:08am. My father (who laughed again at the Marine train story) was kind enough to drive us. Since we were early, there were only about 80 people in front of her. When they booted all those who were not getting citizenship from the line, I was fortunate enough to continue to standing by her (MUCH to my relief, I love her dearly and that crowd....) because we were so early her place in line was right next to the entrance, sidewalk and she was not sardined with seemingly countless others.

The ceremony was heartfelt and unabashedly American. The convention center room was first taken under the jurisdiction of the US District Court so that the oath could be administered. The judge actually came out into the rows and gave a little speech to the family, friends etc... who went through the long and often arduous process of becoming a US citizen.

Those that served in the armed forces got their citizenship first.

After them, the speech by the judge and INS officer truly reminded (was to inspire those who are new citizens, but I really needed the reminder) me of how great this country is. And how hard millions struggle to get here LEGALLY

I admit that I did not take her citizenship here that serious, after all, I like Canada and it is not that different from here. Yet Thursday night at my Dad's place, I saw her getting all her stuff in order, asking me last minute legal questions and meeting places and so forth and I realized that this really means a lot to her. I wondered how much more so for those that come from countries that are not as free and well off as Canada.

The speech(es) addressed those points and talked heavily about how this country allows religious freedom. We can worship how we choose. We can pursue the life we want. This country was founded on people who believed in its greatness, despite little troubles, this country was made up of people who struggled and MADE it better. They did not just sit by and complain, they went forth and made this country better. They voted, they worked, and they cared for the community. While not putting down the countries they came from, the speaker reminded them of how powerful their new citizenship is. How wonderful this country is. And to use the citizenship for good.

Yadda, yadda, you say? I think we all often forget that. It is not about sitting in your chair and bitching and moaning about how "bad" America is. If you don't like it, simply walk in to any consulate and renounce your citizenship. See ya. There are millions more who don't give a crap about your whiney, loser attitude, they strove for years to get to the place in their life where they can proudly say:

I am a United States of America citizen

Let us be proud. I am. My family is.

Kathianne
08-19-2007, 04:46 PM

She is Canadian, so it was not such an emotional journey as some, it was an honor nonetheless.

8000 people in the Los Angeles convention center, west hall. So that she could get processed out first and thus leave first, we arrived at 6:08am. My father (who laughed again at the Marine train story) was kind enough to drive us. Since we were early, there were only about 80 people in front of her. When they booted all those who were not getting citizenship from the line, I was fortunate enough to continue to standing by her (MUCH to my relief, I love her dearly and that crowd....) because we were so early her place in line was right next to the entrance, sidewalk and she was not sardined with seemingly countless others.

The ceremony was heartfelt and unabashedly American. The convention center room was first taken under the jurisdiction of the US District Court so that the oath could be administered. The judge actually came out into the rows and gave a little speech to the family, friends etc... who went through the long and often arduous process of becoming a US citizen.

After them, the speech by the judge and INS officer truly reminded (was to inspire those who are new citizens, but I really needed the reminder) me of how great this country is. And how hard millions struggle to get here LEGALLY

I admit that I did not take her citizenship here that serious, after all, I like Canada and it is not that different from here. Yet Thursday night at my Dad's place, I saw her getting all her stuff in order, asking me last minute legal questions and meeting places and so forth and I realized that this really means a lot to her. I wondered how much more so for those that come from countries that are not as free and well off as Canada.

The speech(es) addressed those points and talked heavily about how this country allows religious freedom. We can worship how we choose. We can pursue the life we want. This country was founded on people who believed in its greatness, despite little troubles, this country was made up of people who struggled and MADE it better. They did not just sit by and complain, they went forth and made this country better. They voted, they worked, and they cared for the community. While not putting down the countries they came from, the speaker reminded them of how powerful their new citizenship is. How wonderful this country is. And to use the citizenship for good.

Yadda, yadda, you say? I think we all often forget that. It is not about sitting in your chair and bitching and moaning about how "bad" America is. If you don't like it, simply walk in to any consulate and renounce your citizenship. See ya. There are millions more who don't give a crap about your whiney, loser attitude, they strove for years to get to the place in their life where they can proudly say:

Congratulations to your wife! Those ceremonies are so moving!

diuretic
08-20-2007, 03:39 AM
Congratulations Mrs Yurt.

I chaired a citizenship ceremony once, it was - as Kathianne has said - very moving.

nevadamedic
08-20-2007, 04:29 AM

:clap: See now that's the right way to do it. I thought if you marry a citizen you become one or something like that?

-Cp
08-20-2007, 10:59 AM
This must be the reason why NM is posting here this morning - this on democracyforums.com (NM's new home)

This bulletin board is currently closed. The Administrator has specified the reason as to why below.
Offline until site is moved to new server. We will be back shortly. -Labrocca

LOL

actsnoblemartin
08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
congratulations :)