PDA

View Full Version : This Boys and Girls, Is The Real Swamp

Kathianne
04-08-2018, 05:55 PM
There's good reasons I am a small government conservative or a 'traditional liberal' as is Gunny's wont to say:

https://twosparrowsfarm.com/the-end-of-the-road/

What happened? Who is to blame for the demise of an entire way of life? For the collapse of rural America?

The answer – the 1970’s. No, really. The 1970’s ushered in a radical change in the government policy surrounding agriculture and subsidies.

Policy that interferes with the natural rules of supply and demand and encourages farmers to “get big or get out.” Moreover, our government farm subsidies prioritize the growing of commodities – non-perishable food products that can be stored indefinitely in grain-bins and traded on the world market to increase our nation’s GDP, thus giving the government more borrowing power to stem off its eventual debt-defaults from bloated budgets and out of control spending. The deeper you look, the farther the rot penetrates.

The farm of days gone by – of Old MacDonald with his diversified farm of edible crops, cows, pigs, and chickens – has been replaced with endless rows of corn and shiny-new grain bins that stick out of the countryside like cathedrals paying homage to holy corn.

But the rot has spread to these now, too. The price of a bushel of corn was $3.58 on Dec 2, 1974. In January of 2018, a bushel of corn sold for $3.56, down two cents from 44 years ago. The farmer who planted his first field of corn in 1974 can expect the same prices for his corn as he retires. All the while the price of seed, land, equipment, fertilizer, and fuel have grown exponentially.

It’s unbelievable. It’s an insult. It’s downright sinful.

Ethanol, government telling what to grow, etc. "Protectionism."

Gunny
04-08-2018, 07:41 PM
That protection is leads to false market values. Farm products as you mentioned; our gasoline price is artificial; and. now the price of steel and aluminum to name a few. We're spending money we don't have based on projected profits from artificial prices.

If the real world hits us, we're screwed. Minus actual consumer protection, the markets can regulate themselves through supply and demand.

If the US government was a business, the US government would have it's ass at attention on the carpet and taking it over.

Kathianne
04-08-2018, 07:50 PM
That protection is leads to false market values. Farm products as you mentioned; our gasoline price is artificial; and. now the price of steel and aluminum to name a few. We're spending money we don't have based on projected profits from artificial prices.

If the real world hits us, we're screwed. Minus actual consumer protection, the markets can regulate themselves through supply and demand.

If the US government was a business, the US government would have it's ass at attention on the carpet and taking it over.

Indeed. I'm not saying it's all Trump, this has been going on since the New Deal, just has gotten much worse since the 70's-which encompasses both parties, agribusiness, and other lobbyists.

Gunny
04-08-2018, 07:52 PM
That protection is leads to false market values.  Farm products as you mentioned; our gasoline price is artificial; and. now the price of steel and aluminum to name a few.  We're spending money we don't have based on projected profits from artificial prices. If the real world hits us, we're screwed.  Minus actual consumer protection, the markets can regulate themselves through supply and demand.

Gunny
04-09-2018, 10:04 PM
One thing that really sticks out to me is the farmer making the same money now he made in the 70s.

I would have a SERIOUS issue with the US government if I was a farmer and my crops were being held to an artificial value to suit some government BS, or arbitrary value determined for political reasons. I vaguely recall at one point the government paying farmers to NOT grow crops.

Sure makes it work busting your a$$ on a John Deere all your life :rolleyes: