PDA

View Full Version : Are there more black men in college or in jail?

truthmatters
08-19-2007, 07:39 PM

5stringJeff
08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Given all the thugs and gangstas in black culture today, I'd say more are in jail.

Ruby
08-20-2007, 08:42 AM
what do you think?

College.

http://www.skepticism.net/articles/2002/000079.html

In a press release summarizing their findings, the Justice Policy Institute said,

Cellblocks or Classrooms? also reports that in 2000, there were an estimated 791,600 African American men in prison and jail, and 603,000 in higher education.

But as Iain Murray noted in a column for TechCentralStation.Com, the Justice Policy Institute's estimate of the number of African American men in college is too low. According to the Census Bureau, there were an estimated 804,000 African-American men in college in 2000. So, in 2000, there were (barely) more black men in college than in jail or prison.

Of course the comparison is of little use since people of all ages are sent to jail, whereas college students tend to be 18-24 year olds. Murray tracked down the respective figures for those age groups and found that for African American men 18-24, there were 480,000 in college and 180,000 in prison or jail. An young African American male is, in fact, two-and-a-half times as likely to be in college as prison or jail.

The figures are even more impressive when African American women are included. Murray notes that there were 747,000 African American women 18-24 in college as opposed to only 9,000 in prison or jail in 2000. So, in total, there were 1,216,000 young African Americans in college compared to 189,000 in jail or prison.

truthmatters
08-20-2007, 08:50 AM

Nukeman
08-20-2007, 08:50 AM
what do you think?

I think you are just attempting to bait certain individuals on this board...

You have preconceived notions as to how most conservative think and act and that is very telling on your part. To answer your question it all depends on the age group your speaking of seeing as college is not limitted to the age of 18-24 year olds.

Here is a sample of a number of article that is easily available for your information

http://www.blackenterprise.com/cms/exclusivesopen.aspx?id=26

More Brothers in Prison Than in College?
Actually, the opposite is true for college-aged black men, but their criminalization is still a growing crisis
By Cliff Hocker

Data compiled by a new study, Cellblocks or Classrooms?: The Funding of Higher Education and Corrections and Its Impact on African American Men, reports that while 603,000 black men were in college in 2001, 791,600 were imprisoned. The study, conducted by the Justice Policy Institute, a nonprofit organization in Washington, D.C., analyzes money spent on incarceration vs. higher education.

Media outlets reporting on the study's findings stated that more black men are behind bars than in college but failed to mention that in compiling its incarceration data, the Justice Policy Institute included African American men of all ages (see More Black Men in Jail than in College, an MSNBC/BET.com report).

President Vincent Schiraldi admits that there are more college-aged African American men in college than incarcerated. College age is roughly 18 to 24, but the study researched incarcerated men ages 18 to 55 plus. Thus, because it is a larger sample group, the number of men in jail is higher than the number of men in college.

In 2000 there were more than 469,000 African American men ages 18-24 who were enrolled in college, which represents 24.9% of the country's 1,885,000 African American men in that age range, according to the Status Report on Minorities in Higher Education 2001-2002, issued by the Washington, D.C.-based American Council on Education.

Black men have experienced a startling reversal of fortunes in the span of one generation. In 1980 African American men enrolled in higher education outnumbered those incarcerated by a quarter million. In 2000, black men behind bars exceeded those on campus by 188,000.

U.S. Department of Justice statistics from 2001 indicate that 179,500 black men ages 18-24 are in prison and jail. Therefore, in the 18-24 age group, the college/imprisoned ratio for black males is 2.6 to one.

For their white male counterparts, the ratio is 28 to one. In 2000 there were 3,522,392 white men ages 18-24 enrolled in college, which represents 32.8% of that age group, while 125,700 were in prison in 2001.

If you are to take ALL BLACK MEN than yes more are behind bars than in college but is you take a specific age group than more are in college than in prison.

I am very confident you already know this and are just trying to put the "racist" label on a number of people on this board.. Please tell me I'm wrong and prove what you were attempting to accomplish with this thread...

5stringJeff
08-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Oh boy, you really got me... :rolleyes:

truthmatters
08-20-2007, 08:55 AM

truthmatters
08-20-2007, 09:03 AM

No1tovote4
08-20-2007, 09:40 AM
Are there more black men in college or in jail?

Yes.

theHawk
08-20-2007, 10:00 AM
How about "How many black men have graduated from college compared to how many have been through our prison system"?

Ruby
08-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Good job Ruby you reserched instead of knee jerk reacted.

There are more young black men in college trying to make something of themselfs contrary to the Image we are given by much we see on the tube.

I was really hoping for more people to knee jerk before I gave the real answer though.

I thought about that but I thought about it too late and had already posted my response.

It is interesting to find out what gaps exist between our perceptions and our realities. For instance, while many were percieving that child abductions were up, the truth is that they were down. Because we get more media coverage and the way its handled may lead you to believe its UP is merely a perception and the reality was that it was DOWN. That was one example I remember cause it struck me so squarely.

glockmail
08-20-2007, 10:27 AM

I was really hoping for more people to knee jerk before I gave the real answer though.

You should be posting on a mostly liberal board then. :poke: :laugh2:

truthmatters
08-20-2007, 10:41 AM

glockmail
08-20-2007, 10:44 AM
Trust me I have liberal boards I post at and the ones full of libs are always the ones who just plain refuse Science, Studies, Reports, statistics and any type of expert evaluation if it doesnt fit their world view.

I have Lib friends on other sights that will actually recognise facts but they are far and few inbetween.

truthmatters
08-20-2007, 10:49 AM

08-20-2007, 01:25 PM
well i hope its college, but its their choice. you make your own choices and have to live with the consequences.

What is wrong is this unhealthy need to blame others for ones own weaknesses. if they arent in college but are in prison its no ones fault than their own that they arent in college. make good choices and you can avoid it.

actsnoblemartin
08-20-2007, 04:42 PM
The truth is, more blacks go to jail then college, but It is a complex problem, that needs a complex solutions.

I think it is unfair, if, and i mean if, we just blame whitey, for all the black communities ills, the black community has to take some responsibility for the choices it makes as well. We can only help those, who help themselves, whether its the black community, hispanic community, asian community, white community, or any other community, nobody can save you from yourself i.e. poor choices, which is not to say all blacks or all in the black community make poor choices.

what do you think?

Dilloduck
08-20-2007, 07:01 PM

There are more young black men in college trying to make something of themselfs contrary to the Image we are given by much we see on the tube.

You should be a pollster--they try to get people to answer rigged questions too. Odd that you should HOPE to find people who answered "jail".

emmett
08-20-2007, 07:20 PM
what do you think?

Here's one for you!

Are there more white men being taxed to death to pay for black men flooding our prisons

.................or............

Are there more white men losing their place in America by the day to Affirmative Action, illegal immigrants and descrimination?

...............or..............

Are there more white men stupidly allowing themselves to let their status be taken from them because they lay around beating their wives, drinking Budweiser and not giving a shit?

Hugh Lincoln
08-21-2007, 09:40 PM
Given that blacks are admitted to college with far lower test scores and high school achievements than whites -- and get scholarships whites don't get to boot -- I am not impressed. As another poster suggested, GRADUATION rates from college by blacks are abysmal, so their mere presence in college is again unimpressive. From kindergarten to graduate school coast to coast, black males have always in my observation been a complete mismatch for eduation. They don't attend class. They don't study. They don't read. They don't do the work, period. And it shows. And educators KNOW IT. Whether they're languishing in jail or cooling their heels on our dime in a college classroom, black males are either a drain on society's resources or a flat-out fucking menace to peace and prosperity. We would be better off without them, by far. No, they are not here by choice, I realize. Whites conspired to enslave their ancestors and bring them here. That was wrong. But I cannot see that it's a wrong we all must pay dearly for for the rest of all time. A peaceful, gradual move toward racial separation would make whites AND blacks better off in the long run.

manu1959
08-21-2007, 09:56 PM
what do you think?

jail....but it is a form of public education...and it is free

manu1959
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM

well you got me too....but what you are really saying is the black culture is lying when they say the MAN is keeping them down.........

jimnyc
08-22-2007, 07:51 AM

Oh joy, there are barely more blacks in college than there are in prison. I'm sure this "stunning" statistic changes the facts! How about the fact that they make up approximately 12% of our population and yet commit an overwhelming majority of crimes?

And don't give me that poverty or socio-economic crap. In places where there is almost all white residents, with unemployment rampant and poverty just as bad, the crime level is extremely low. Look up a few of the stats for a few places in W. Va.

You either break the law, or you don't. Poverty neither excuses or justifies criminal activity.

Now go ahead and call me a racist for daring to state the facts.

Nukeman
08-22-2007, 08:09 AM
I think you are just attempting to bait certain individuals on this board...

You have preconceived notions as to how most conservative think and act and that is very telling on your part. To answer your question it all depends on the age group your speaking of seeing as college is not limitted to the age of 18-24 year olds.

Here is a sample of a number of article that is easily available for your information

http://www.blackenterprise.com/cms/exclusivesopen.aspx?id=26

If you are to take ALL BLACK MEN than yes more are behind bars than in college but is you take a specific age group than more are in college than in prison.

I am very confident you already know this and are just trying to put the "racist" label on a number of people on this board.. Please tell me I'm wrong and prove what you were attempting to accomplish with this thread...

I have yet to get a response to my inquiry as to what she is attempting to prove with this thread!!!!!!!!!!

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 09:04 AM

Nukeman
08-22-2007, 10:23 AM
go back and read the thread then,its thereOhhhh thtas right!!!! you wanted a knee jerk reaction form the dispicable conservative board!!!!!!!!!

But the question remains WHY

truthmatters
08-22-2007, 10:28 AM

darin
08-22-2007, 10:46 AM
Is the problem 'perception' or is the problem "those who further, or create, or influence the perception with all their killing and raping and stealing?"