PDA

View Full Version : Is the Metric System sexist?

KarlMarx
08-20-2007, 01:21 PM
well, is it?

LiberalNation
08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
No but it is a pain in the ass to learn after using a different system half your life. We should switch to all metric all english.

mrg666
08-20-2007, 01:23 PM
well im waiting with baited breath for this one
well personaly id say no but no doubt there will be an explanation as to why
:laugh2:
we had the change over here years ago (at work) so im getting used to it

KarlMarx
08-20-2007, 01:24 PM
No but it is a pain in the ass to learn after using a different system half your life. We should switch to all metric all english.
In the 1970s, that's exactly what this country tried to do. The government tried to phase in the metric system. Cars had both MPH and Km/Hr on the speedometer, the temperature was always given in Fahrenheit and in Celsius, and soft drinks had gone to metric. Then, for some reason, it all reversed, except for soft drinks.

go figure!

diuretic
08-21-2007, 12:06 AM
The metric system is definitely sexist. I know, I live in a country that has the metric system.

The metric system has lots of zeros in it. This is a zero - 0. Now if you put two zeros together this is what you get - 00. Now that looks like a pair of tits to me. I like tits. Especially in pairs. But me saying, "I like tits" is sexist. But it's the combination of those zeros that make me say it.

So the metric system is sexist.

KarlMarx
08-21-2007, 03:23 AM
The metric system is definitely sexist. I know, I live in a country that has the metric system.

The metric system has lots of zeros in it. This is a zero - 0. Now if you put two zeros together this is what you get - 00. Now that looks like a pair of tits to me. I like tits. Especially in pairs. But me saying, "I like tits" is sexist. But it's the combination of those zeros that make me say it.

So the metric system is sexist.
You are so right.... and another thing, everything in the Metric System is "milli" , "mega" and "nano" .... so, I want to know who are Millie and Meg and Nan? Sounds like a female metric system has been foisted on an unsuspecting public!

It's a miracle that the Metric System doesn't get cramps once a month or have PMS.

We should have a separate, male metric system just to make things fair!

Come to think of it, that might not be a good idea. That's because it would be a problem in Muslim countries. You wouldn't be able to use female units together with male units unless, of course, they wore the appropriate head and body covering.

diuretic
08-21-2007, 04:36 AM
You are so right.... and another thing, everything in the Metric System is "milli" , "mega" and "nano" .... so, I want to know who are Millie and Meg and Nan? Sounds like a female metric system has been foisted on an unsuspecting public!

It's a miracle that the Metric System doesn't get cramps once a month or have PMS.

We should have a separate, male metric system just to make things fair!

Come to think of it, that might not be a good idea. That's because it would be a problem in Muslim countries. You wouldn't be able to use female units together with male units unless, of course, they wore the appropriate head and body covering.

Damn right! An excellent analysis! I knew there was a reason I disliked this metric system. Hey I used to put air in my car tyres, now what do I do? I have to pump in "kilopascals". WTF? And have you seen how many "kilopascals" I have to put in? I used to put in about 28 lbs per square inch, now it's about three billion "kilopascals". Where's that coming from? At that rate we're going to run out of air simply because the damn country went metric!

Gunny
08-21-2007, 05:28 AM
Damn right! An excellent analysis! I knew there was a reason I disliked this metric system. Hey I used to put air in my car tyres, now what do I do? I have to pump in "kilopascals". WTF? And have you seen how many "kilopascals" I have to put in? I used to put in about 28 lbs per square inch, now it's about three billion "kilopascals". Where's that coming from? At that rate we're going to run out of air simply because the damn country went metric!

Look at the bright side ... the metric system allows you to keep the size of your crank in double-digits.:poke:

diuretic
08-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Look at the bright side ... the metric system allows you to keep the size of your crank in double-digits.:poke:

Only just :laugh2:

KarlMarx
08-21-2007, 08:07 AM
I can top that.... I measure mine in Ångström Units!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85ngstr%C3%B6m

dan
08-21-2007, 08:26 AM
I keep mine in single-digits by measuring in inches.... FROM THE GROUND!:D

KarlMarx
08-21-2007, 10:12 AM
I keep mine in single-digits by measuring in inches.... FROM THE GROUND!:D
you must be a midget! :)

Hagbard Celine
08-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Why don't we use the Metric system here? Aren't we like the only country that still doesn't use it?

Monkeybone
08-21-2007, 10:27 AM
because Metric ain't American garsh danngit :salute:

KarlMarx
08-21-2007, 12:56 PM
Why don't we use the Metric system here? Aren't we like the only country that still doesn't use it?
we tried to switch over in the 1970s... for some reason, it fell through after a couple of years... see my earlier post...

Hagbard Celine
08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
we tried to switch over in the 1970s... for some reason, it fell through after a couple of years... see my earlier post...

Why don't we try it again?

KarlMarx
08-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Why don't we try it again?
Write you Congressman or Senators. I don't know why it was abandoned.