PDA

View Full Version : California

Abbey Marie
04-29-2018, 11:02 AM
Our daughter was in Yosemite the last two days, and is camping and hiking in Big Sur yesterday and today. Anyone been there, and have a comment on it? I can tell it is gorgeous.

Elessar
04-29-2018, 11:17 AM
Our daughter was in Yosemite the last two days, and is camping and hiking in Big Sur yesterday and today. Anyone been there, and have a comment on it? I can tell it is gorgeous.

I have been to both. Yosemite is gorgeous and virtually unspoiled.
Big Sur is spectacular and also virtually unspoiled. CA Rt 1 - Pacific Coast Highway -
is NOT for the faint of heart or those with vertigo tendencies, though!

Abbey Marie
04-29-2018, 11:21 AM
I have been to both. Yosemite is gorgeous and virtually unspoiled.
Big Sur is spectacular.

Shoot-is it wrong to be jealous of one's own offspring? I truthfully never gave these places much thought. I'm so east-coast. Now I'm a little off kilter that my daughter got to see all this, and without us, lol. I don't know much detail yet, because she so often has no cell service. She did text last night from a little store in Big Sur that it is "Nice!".

Elessar
04-29-2018, 11:24 AM
Shoot-is it wrong to be jealous of one's own offspring? I truthfully never gave these places much thought. I'm so east-coast. Now I'm a little off kilter that my daughter got to see all this, and without us, lol. I don't know much detail yet, because she so often has no cell service. She did text last night from a little store in Big Sur that it is "Nice!".

Oh, there are very few cell towers along that stretch of coast, much like through the Redwoods further North.

Try doing a google search for Big Sur, and Point Sur Lighthouse. You will see some marvelous scenery.

Those are parts of California I do like, as well as the Mother Lode Country in the Sierra Nevada. Google that one, too.

Abbey Marie
04-29-2018, 01:03 PM
Oh, there are very few cell towers along that stretch of coast, much like through the Redwoods further North.

Try doing a google search for Big Sur, and Point Sur Lighthouse. You will see some marvelous scenery.

Those are parts of California I do like, as well as the Mother Lode Country in the Sierra Nevada. Google that one, too.

Will do.

Fort Bragg seems to be in a beautiful spot...

Black Diamond
04-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Stay away from the San Francisco civic center.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/04/25/drug-users-san-francisco-civic-center-bart/

Elessar
04-29-2018, 04:55 PM
Will do.

Fort Bragg seems to be in a beautiful spot...

Fort Bragg is very quaint. It is pretty much a timbering and fishing town with a very narrow harbor entrance.
USCG has a small boat station there, USCG Station Noyo River. The entrance can get nasty in the winter, with
sea swells up to 30 feet offshore. But the shoreline is magnificent. There are a lot of small towns along that
stretch of coast, many of which were called "doghole" ports for in the lumber booms of the late 1800's into the 1900's
seagoing lumber schooners would moor up and receive loads of lumber by highline cables paid out from the shore.

Abbey Marie
04-29-2018, 08:25 PM
Stay away from the San Francisco civic center.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/04/25/drug-users-san-francisco-civic-center-bart/

Link not working-what does it say?

aboutime
04-29-2018, 08:27 PM
Link not working-what does it say?