PDA

View Full Version : Trump May Succeed Because Of Foreign Developments

Kathianne
04-29-2018, 08:23 PM
I don't know if jimnyc has already posted this, I don't remember seeing it. Get by the title and first few paragraphs and you're going to like what he says. Pretty strong coming from someone who's not an enthusiastic Trump supporter:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/donald-trumps-madman-diplomacy-may-see-off-stormy-weather-0mbw5969r

Some teams — generally the ones I support — tend to win at home and lose away. The same is true of some American presidents. Lyndon Johnson’s most enduring victories were legislative (civil rights and the Great Society), yet his presidency was destroyed abroad, in Vietnam.

Woodrow Wilson was just the opposite. He won abroad — ending the First World War and establishing the League of Nations — but lost at home, failing to get the league ratified by the Senate and suffering a debilitating stroke in the process.

As things stand, a year and a half since his election victory, Donald Trump seems destined for domestic disaster. True, he won a prominent new convert to his cause last week, in the unlikely figure of the rapper Kanye West. “You don’t have to agree with trump,” he tweeted on Wednesday, “but the mob can’t make me not love him. We are both dragon energy. He is my brother.”

jimnyc
04-29-2018, 08:37 PM
He sure has had a nice little rhythm going. Kanye, I don't care for him myself, so really don't care about that little saga going on. I won't capitalize on what he said, nor condemn the guy.

Now Trump has some things going, NK being most prominent. But until actual results are had, it just makes for good talk right now. But as I said before to Gunny, it does feel different, and his approach is different (kim jong un), plus add in he's more desperate now. So I think there's a good chance to make strides now. For now I have my own little fat fingers crossed!

South Korea seems to give Trump credit for getting the ball rolling, and for any success to this point. But they and Kim did the rest.

I think he's made a good relationship with France for now, but nothing great there.

I do think he's done good with our economy. Still hoping another SC justice bails, that would be fantastic! A fair amount of other things, but then we're talking the past. Obviously he needs to keep it up.

Kathianne
04-29-2018, 09:34 PM
I'm never going to 'like' Trump, which doesn't preclude my hoping he succeeds both domestically and abroad. I don't see how domestic can ever be a great success when he has added to the growing divide amongst the citizenry. Like Obama, he loves the divisions. Also like Obama, he has his core, which may well lead to a second term. I hope the economy continues to improve, I'd love to see gas prices and food prices come down or at least stop escalating.

I tend to agree with the writer that his legacy may surprise many that it's based on foreign affairs.