PDA

View Full Version : Virginia City, Nevada

Pale Rider
08-20-2007, 02:55 PM
Here's a good picture of Virginia City, Nevada from a cool vantage point, the grave yard, Boot Hill...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1038/1184976387_a561e70f52_o.jpg

One of many, very interesting, old grave stones in Boot Hill. Many of which are very ornate, as there were a lot of people in this town with a lot of money. This town was, incidentally, the richest town on earth at one point in history. This is the grave stone of Catherine L. Noel, died May 20th, 1896, aged 48 years...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/1185834130_c405722871_o.jpg

Preacher, and the Phantom John....

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1426/1184975425_8343406eba_o.jpg

My son, checking his camera along side this immaculately restored old steam engine. One of the many originals that ran the rails up and down from here shipping out the silver and gold...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1279/1184978293_ec18293a7e_o.jpg

And an interesting old sign they have hanging up inside the Pipers Opera House...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1231/1185835912_a600ca6d3e_o.jpg

Yurt
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

typomaniac
08-21-2007, 06:25 PM
Yeah, that stirred up some nice memories. (Thanks, Pale.) I visited VA-city with my folks when I was about 10 or 11. Haven't been back since.

Not sure why, really: it's only about 5 hours away.

nevadamedic
08-21-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, that stirred up some nice memories. (Thanks, Pale.) I visited VA-city with my folks when I was about 10 or 11. Haven't been back since.

VC is a cool place so was the Ponderosa Ranch up in Tahoe before that got F'd up.

Pale Rider
08-23-2007, 04:14 AM

I don't know what it was like back then, but it's very touristy now. The main street and most of the town are still the same old buildings, most of which were built in the middle to late 1800's, but they're full of trinket stores, bars and gambling. The town gets so busy on summer weekend days, if you don't get there early to find a parking space, forget it. You'll be parking practically out of town and walking. I still like it though. There's a group of locals and others that live in the area, such as myself, that wear period clothing and usually hang out at the Bucket of Blood Saloon. The passing tourists just eat it up. A good 50% of them want their picture taken with you. It's a hoot.

diuretic
08-23-2007, 04:42 AM
From memory there's a chocolate factory nearby I think....?

I didn't visit the Bucket o' Blood Saloon though, can't remember why...oh wait, yes I can, the then wife said I'd get on the turps and I was driving so I couldn't....it's coming back to me now.

I think I made up for it later though when we got back to where we were staying :D

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 05:58 AM
From memory there's a chocolate factory nearby I think....?

I didn't visit the Bucket o' Blood Saloon though, can't remember why...oh wait, yes I can, the then wife said I'd get on the turps and I was driving so I couldn't....it's coming back to me now.

I think I made up for it later though when we got back to where we were staying :D

Yup The Chocolate Nugget. They have the best candy. They make all of their own candy and fudge. Their Taffy is really good, and the peanut brittle is to die for, although their Jalapeno Brittle is way to hot for my taste. They actually now ship around the world. We always stop in their big store on the way to Reno. Now you have me wanting some of their Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge and Some of their Pecan Divinity!

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 05:59 AM

Where are you from?

diuretic
08-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Yup The Chocolate Nugget. They have the best candy. They make all of their own candy and fudge. Their Taffy is really good, and the peanut brittle is to die for, although their Jalapeno Brittle is way to hot for my taste. They actually now ship around the world. We always stop in their big store on the way to Reno. Now you have me wanting some of their Chocolate Peanut Butter Fudge and Some of their Pecan Divinity!

That sounds like the right place. Again if I remember rightly it was on flat ground near a hill? I'm dredging the memory here but I remember a wooden building with the showroom. Heck this was back in about 1993 or thereabouts. We'd picked up a car in LA and drove down to San Diego and out to Yuma and then to Tombstone and Tucson (great aviation museum) and then up to southern Colorado and Utah and over to Nevada and back into California. Sorry for the travelogue, I'm just remembering what a great time I had. Driving through Az and Nev it was like driving through the desert parts of my state.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I have a real thing for pecans by the way :laugh2:

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 06:34 AM
That sounds like the right place. Again if I remember rightly it was on flat ground near a hill? I'm dredging the memory here but I remember a wooden building with the showroom. Heck this was back in about 1993 or thereabouts. We'd picked up a car in LA and drove down to San Diego and out to Yuma and then to Tombstone and Tucson (great aviation museum) and then up to southern Colorado and Utah and over to Nevada and back into California. Sorry for the travelogue, I'm just remembering what a great time I had. Driving through Az and Nev it was like driving through the desert parts of my state.

Sorry for the thread drift.

I have a real thing for pecans by the way :laugh2:

Yup that's the place. That's the one that makes all the Candy for both stores. Their other location is huge like four times that size.

You should order some of their Divinity then! Full of Pecans.

diuretic
08-23-2007, 06:51 AM
I feel the need for a pecan tour. I think I may have go via Hawaii because I also feel the need for a mai tai tour (jeez last time I did it I got off my face, it was really embarrassing, those mai tais are wicked).

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 07:18 AM
I feel the need for a pecan tour. I think I may have go via Hawaii because I also feel the need for a mai tai tour (jeez last time I did it I got off my face, it was really embarrassing, those mai tais are wicked).

Well if you come out this way you have the Chocolate Nugget with tons of different Pecan Candies and you have Trader Dick's in John Asguaga's Nugget which is a Restaurant/Bar with a Hawaiian theme. They have a huge fishtank with tropical fish that goes around the bar, palm trees and everyone dresses in Hawaiian Shirts and lay's. They have the best food and drinks. Alot of their drinks come with Collectors Glasses that are really neat, its fun to collect all the glasses, they make a great collection.

diuretic
08-23-2007, 07:25 AM
Well if you come out this way you have the Chocolate Nugget with tons of different Pecan Candies and you have Trader Dick's in John Asguaga's Nugget which is a Restaurant/Bar with a Hawaiian theme. They have a huge fishtank with tropical fish that goes around the bar, palm trees and everyone dresses in Hawaiian Shirts and lay's. They have the best food and drinks. Alot of their drinks come with Collectors Glasses that are really neat, its fun to collect all the glasses, they make a great collection.

That's one of things I love about America, you have the greatest bars! :laugh2:

typomaniac
08-23-2007, 12:11 PM
Where are you from?

Born, raised, and currently living in Santa Clara county, California. I've lived elsewhere, but I have yet to find better weather.

nevadamedic
08-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Born, raised, and currently living in Santa Clara county, California. I've lived elsewhere, but I have yet to find better weather.

Im from the Bay Area originally.

Yurt
08-23-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't know what it was like back then, but it's very touristy now. The main street and most of the town are still the same old buildings, most of which were built in the middle to late 1800's, but they're full of trinket stores, bars and gambling. The town gets so busy on summer weekend days, if you don't get there early to find a parking space, forget it. You'll be parking practically out of town and walking. I still like it though. There's a group of locals and others that live in the area, such as myself, that wear period clothing and usually hang out at the Bucket of Blood Saloon. The passing tourists just eat it up. A good 50% of them want their picture taken with you. It's a hoot.

Not that you do, but no worries bro. The fashion industry never seems to make up their mind what is "style." Hell, I think bell bottoms came back a year or two a go and lasted what, a season? LOL.

I like the "period" styles. Hey, maybe next time a tourist walks in you should jump up, "exclaim" hey, wow, never seen the likes of you, can I get my picture taken with you...

:coffee:

Pale Rider
08-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Not that you do, but no worries bro. The fashion industry never seems to make up their mind what is "style." Hell, I think bell bottoms came back a year or two a go and lasted what, a season? LOL.

I like the "period" styles. Hey, maybe next time a tourist walks in you should jump up, "exclaim" hey, wow, never seen the likes of you, can I get my picture taken with you...

:coffee:

Well that's me, Preacher, standing next to the old truck on the left in the picture. The shirt is a Wah Maker, as are the pants and the suspenders, the boots are Tony Lama Buckaroos, and the hat is a Saratelli, XXXX Beaver. Can't see it in the picture, but hanging from the horse hair belt is a Triple X Case Bowie Knife.