PDA

View Full Version : Do Misplaced Commas, Annoy You?

5stringJeff
08-20-2007, 03:57 PM
I know, that some people, get annoyed, when commas, are misplaced within, a sentence. Are you one, of, those people?

actsnoblemartin
08-20-2007, 04:03 PM
I think the grammer nazi's need to go F*** themselves, with their snobbery, and elitism. Good for you, you can use a comma, i dont give a s***.

And if your gonna criticism someone for such a meaningless thing, as a misplaced comma, then i dont give a f*** about anything you have to say.

jackass
08-20-2007, 04:12 PM
I think the grammer nazi's need to go F*** themselves, with their snobbery, and elitism. Good for you, you can use a comma, i dont give a s***.

And if your gonna criticism someone for such a meaningless thing, as a misplaced comma, then i dont give a f*** about anything you have to say.

OOOhhhhhh weeeee! Someone didnt take their medicinal cocktail this morning! :laugh2:

darin
08-20-2007, 04:14 PM

GrammAr.

:D

And it's "if you're gonna criticize..."

5stringJeff
08-20-2007, 04:18 PM

Dude... it was a tongue in cheek post. :)

jackass
08-20-2007, 04:21 PM
Dude... it was a tongue in cheek post. :)

SURE it was Jeff!! We ALL know you have a really nasty habit of stirring the pot!! :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
08-20-2007, 04:28 PM
SURE it was Jeff!! We ALL know you have a really nasty habit of stirring the pot!! :laugh2:

:laugh2:

diuretic
08-20-2007, 11:45 PM
A Comma-nist
Is a red, under, the bed

Colons give me the shits:
Semi-colons give me half the shits;

I sometimes wonder they a form of punctuation was given the name reserved for the intestine. Probably something to do with rumination. Now I'll probably find the entymological reason is that it's from the Latin. Whereupon I will ask myself why the intestine was named after a punctuation mark.

Life is full of quandaries.

remie
08-21-2007, 08:37 AM
I know, that some people, get annoyed, when commas, are misplaced within, a sentence. Are you one, of, those people?

Nearly, as much, as, spelling errors.

PostmodernProphet
08-21-2007, 09:26 AM
punctuation is for wimpy victims of modernist dogma......

shattered
08-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Yes, and I'm pretty sure they're sexist, too.

darin
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
Nearly, as much, as, spelling errors.

Yeah speling airors are the werst.

Trigg
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM

Anyone who has read my posts will agree my grammer is less than perfect, so nope doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The ClayTaurus
08-21-2007, 02:24 PM
Yeah speling airors are the werst.Especially when someone needlessly inserts u's in words like "color." :poke:

typomaniac
08-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Writing and editing are fundamental to how I make my living. So not only am I annoyed by misplaced commas, I can't even turn that annoyance off.

darin
08-21-2007, 04:33 PM
Anyone who has read my posts will agree my grammer is less than perfect, so nope doesn't bother me in the slightest.

But you're hot, so you get a free pass :)

Trigg
08-21-2007, 06:55 PM
But you're hot, so you get a free pass :)

:wink2:

Gunny
08-21-2007, 07:50 PM

Hmmmm.... I wonder how actsnoblemartin feels about this ... anyone seen him?:laugh2:

Kathianne
08-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Hmmmm.... I wonder how actsnoblemartin feels about this ... anyone seen him?:laugh2:

I know who is the number one abuse of commas, me. I also know I abuse semicolons; but wtf! Do I know better, yes. Do I care? No. :laugh2: It was worth rep to Jeff though! (No, not neg. ;) )

diuretic
08-21-2007, 08:12 PM
punctuation is for wimpy victims of modernist dogma......

Thou art no prophet, no seer you,
To write your point and then, by action, deny it,
To decry punctuation, but then to punctuate,
Is surely the action of an apostate

Subtle testing here I warrant, to test us all who read you,
Are there marks to those who pun?
Are there kudos? Or "is there kudos"?
Singular or plural, I could never get it,
I'm somewhat slow, thinking on the run,
Metre's not my metier, so I'll probably cop a spray,
From someone who's poetic mast'ry
Can leave me standing somewhat dazed,
But at least I know one when I see this,
The witty emplyment of an ellipsis :D

Abbey Marie
08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
I know who is the number one abuse of commas, me. I also know I abuse semicolons; but wtf! Do I know better, yes. Do I care? No. :laugh2: It was worth rep to Jeff though! (No, not neg. ;) )

Semicolons; they rock!

PostmodernProphet
08-21-2007, 10:22 PM
But at least I know one when I see this,
The witty emplyment of an ellipsis

and rhyming is just as bad......besides my ellipses have more than three ...

I am a postmodern ellipser......

diuretic
08-21-2007, 10:43 PM
and rhyming is just as bad......besides my ellipses have more than three ...

I am a postmodern ellipser......

Or a promiscuous postmodern ellpser...? (I'm a traditionalist, as you can see, I refuse to use more than three...)

Pale Rider
08-21-2007, 11:43 PM
From the movie, Over The Hedge, quote from Hammy... "but I LIKE the commas..." :laugh:

actsnoblemartin
08-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Hahaha. I misplaced a few things there lol.

5stringJeff
08-22-2007, 04:56 PM
This thread was not aimed at anyone in particular. Just having some good, old-fashioned fun! :D

Kathianne
08-22-2007, 04:59 PM
This thread was not aimed at anyone in particular. Just having some good, old-fashioned fun! :D

It is interesting how an innocuous topic like this, posted with humor, brings out so many...victims? No? Let's make that, no??????

Don't you just hate multiple question marks? :laugh2:

5stringJeff
08-22-2007, 05:29 PM
It is interesting how an innocuous topic like this, posted with humor, brings out so many...victims? No? Let's make that, no??????

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And multiple exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

typomaniac
08-22-2007, 06:24 PM

Speaking of extra question marks, don't you hate it when every teenage girl you overhear at the mall uses questions marks exclusively? Sometimes even in the middle of a sentence? It's really hard to understand? why they do that?

:poke:

Trigg
08-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And multiple exclamation marks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

You don't like that????????????

Some people are just never happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're typing here!!! We have to make our anger/frustration known somehow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

*sarcasm*

need to add that in case some here get confused

Kathianne
08-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Speaking of extra question marks, don't you hate it when every teenage girl you overhear at the mall uses questions marks exclusively? Sometimes even in the middle of a sentence? It's really hard to understand? why they do that?

:poke:

An educated guess, they don't have ANY answers??????:laugh2:

Swarm
08-22-2007, 06:54 PM
Actually I believe that proper punctuation makes it easier to understand what someone is trying to say. Also missed commas etc may change the meaning of a sentence quite radically.

typomaniac
08-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Actually I believe that proper punctuation makes it easier to understand what someone is trying to say. Also missed commas etc may change the meaning of a sentence quite radically.

That would be "missed commas, etc.," :laugh:

Many people would further claim that you need commas after "Actually" and "Also."

Kathianne
08-22-2007, 07:17 PM
That would be "missed commas, etc.," :laugh:

Many people would further claim that you need commas after "Actually" and "Also."

Ya think? Like those with grammar backgrounds? :laugh2:

Swarm
08-22-2007, 07:33 PM
OMG I missed a comma!!!! Sigh, there I go try to make a point and totally blow it... Well... Erm... How bout them Yankees? Hows the weather?:coffee:

typomaniac
08-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Ya think? Like those with grammar backgrounds? :laugh2:

Some of them say it's a matter of preference these days. :dunno:

Gaffer
08-22-2007, 07:48 PM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,

For all the comma's I missed in the past.

Swarm
08-22-2007, 07:50 PM
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,

For all the comma's I missed in the past.

You missed one :)

waterrescuedude2000
08-23-2007, 01:05 AM
You missed one :)

YOU FORGOT 10

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,

:laugh2:

Pale Rider
08-23-2007, 03:50 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1323/1210983933_4bf5cfa2fa_o.jpg

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

diuretic
08-23-2007, 04:45 AM
:clap::laugh2:

When it comes to colons, I'm going with my gut feeling...

actsnoblemartin
08-25-2007, 08:50 PM
Waah, someone made fun of me, so ill neg rep them. I hate you.

Yes, and I'm pretty sure they're sexist, too.

typomaniac
08-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Waah, someone made fun of me, so ill neg rep them. I hate you.

I think you mean:

Waah; someone made fun of me, so I'll neg rep them. I hate you.

Sorry to give you a hard time, Martin. But you see what I mean about not being able to turn it off? :laugh:

Kathianne
08-26-2007, 10:47 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1323/1210983933_4bf5cfa2fa_o.jpg

http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/commas.htm

No shit, rep worthy (alas the system will not let me), and funny as all get out! :lol: