PDA

View Full Version : Obsessive-Compulsive Behavior and Addiction

Gunny
05-15-2018, 08:19 AM
I started to put this on the end of that SCOTUS thread then decided someone might actually want to discuss SCOTUS. Jim spilled the beans on himself, so I guess I can do the same.

I am obsessive-compulsive. And not just a little bit. My obsessive-compulsiveness is obsessive compulsive. Meaning, I'm generally a psycho :) My brain is usually running at 600 mph on JP5. If there is something that needs to be done, it'll drive me nuts until I do it. And there's ALWAYS something that needs to be done :( Never a dull moment.

I got my registration renewal in the mail last week and I've stressed over it until I finally just went yesterday and got my inspection and renewed the registration. It's due NEXT month. When I get done working out, I'll start stressing about tomorrow's workout. I generally have gone over in my mind 100 times any and everything before I actually do it. It's a never-ending battle and I drive myself nuts.

I have a 5 and 9 years old granddaughters who are like locusts. They move from room to room trashing them and I'll walk in circles behind them cleaning up. If there's a dirty dish in the sink, there won't be for long. DOn't give me money and let me go shopping. I have more PT shorts shirts and running shoes than probably any 5 of you put together. Same with jeans.

I was never supposed to be able to run again. Wrong f-ing answer. And you can bet I broke my butt in more places than two every damned day until I could.

About the addiction part of the other thread. Option A was get drunk and shut down my brain. And make no mistake, I'm OCD about drinking too. I won't stop until the bottle's empty, and THEN, start stressing about getting the next bottle :laugh: So, I was not your "classic" alcoholic. I quit on my own when I decided enough was enough. Might sound tough, and in a way it is, but it is the hard way to do it. I've quit enough times I can time drying out :laugh:

That's where personality comes into play. I would not have been happy had I not done it on my own. No amount of groups, info, good intentioned people who created exactly the opposite reaction they hoped to achieve worked. FYI, I'm not against getting help if you need it. I just found I resented it. Telling me I can't do it myself is like slapping me in the face. Even if I have to make it twice as hard.

Most people aren't like that. Gambling, alcohol, drugs, or just about anything else you choose as your vice is generally an addiction. Many are sublime. I have to keep mine in check 24-7 because there's pretty-much no telling what I will do. I've slowed down in my later years :) The addictions that destroy lives, and not just the addict's, need to be dealt with. I can tell you several fancy names for "disorders" I have but I wasn't brought up in that school. My behavior is either good or bad, acceptable or unacceptable, and it is up to ME to control it.

And hes, I DID make my 2nd grade teacher cry :laugh: It was impressed up my ass, literally, how that was NEVER going to happen again. It worked. Seemed to me our whole society worked better that way than it does letting the inmates run the asylum.

darin
05-15-2018, 09:06 AM
I am not nearly as interesting. :)

Gunny
05-15-2018, 09:10 AM
I am not nearly as interesting. :)Well, from an entertainment standpoint, I guess I keep some people wondering :laugh:

Was just thinking of some other weird crap I will do. I'll go through every stitch of clothes I own about once a month looking for something to toss (if it doesn't get worn it doesn't get kept but the "compulsive" half might just buy it) and re-fold everything and have perfectly folded little stacks of clothes in my drawers and closet :laugh: