View Full Version : Mmmmmmm

Kathianne
05-16-2018, 03:20 PM

hjmick guess where I am!
It's in the town I'm moving to!

Gunny
05-16-2018, 04:14 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11409&stc=1

@hjmick (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=208) guess where I am!
It's in the town I'm moving to!I can walk to one in less than 10 minutes.

Are they good there? They are here, but the one in Albuquerque wasn't very good, and not the same as here.

Black Diamond
05-16-2018, 04:16 PM
I can walk to one in less than 10 minutes.

Are they good there? They are here, but the one in Albuquerque wasn't very good, and not the same as here.
Their Malts are killer.

Gunny
05-16-2018, 04:23 PM
Their Malts are killer.They don't have malts here that I know of. Shakes. I'll have to look next time. Whataburger originated in Corpus Christi. They're all over the place here. We didn't even have a McDonald's or Burger King here until the mid-70s. i don't know how they stay in business.

Same principle applies to Burger King. It originated in South Florida and I ate there a lot on the way to work. I can't stand BK here. It's just not the same.

Speaking of ... same with Carl's Jr. Originated in SoCal and they're good there. The one here sucks.

McDonald's is just McDonald's. Pretty-much the same everywhere. As an aside, I did the elcetrical on almost every McDonald's in San Antonio, the one in Pearsall and Laredo. The company I worked for subcontracted to a contractor that did all the McDonald's jobs in S Texas. I hated working for them :laugh:

Black Diamond
05-16-2018, 05:36 PM
They don't have malts here that I know of. Shakes. I'll have to look next time. Whataburger originated in Corpus Christi. They're all over the place here. We didn't even have a McDonald's or Burger King here until the mid-70s. i don't know how they stay in business.

Same principle applies to Burger King. It originated in South Florida and I ate there a lot on the way to work. I can't stand BK here. It's just not the same.

Speaking of ... same with Carl's Jr. Originated in SoCal and they're good there. The one here sucks.

McDonald's is just McDonald's. Pretty-much the same everywhere. As an aside, I did the elcetrical on almost every McDonald's in San Antonio, the one in Pearsall and Laredo. The company I worked for subcontracted to a contractor that did all the McDonald's jobs in S Texas. I hated working for them :laugh:
Meet me in Fort Worth. I'll show you. :)

hjmick
05-16-2018, 05:39 PM
Nice. It's not In-N-Out, but a close second in my book...

Gunny
05-16-2018, 07:29 PM
Nice. It's not In-N-Out, but a close second in my book...Pffft. Whataburger is head n shoulders WAY above In-N-Out. Had one of those next door to our apt complex in Vista, CA. In-N-Out might be a distant second, but it IS better than McDonald's or Burger King.

The BESTEST hamburger ever ... Bobby J's in Helotes, Tex. Awesome burgers, cooked to order and doesn't make the wallet run for cover. They believe that Texas hype too about everything being bigger. Works for me. Family owned joint been there for years.

Gunny
05-16-2018, 07:53 PM
Dairy Queen is another of those weird ones. Whoever owns the franchise here in Texas, they are head and shoulders above DQ anywhere eise. The ice cream is the same stuff, but the food is different and the burgers are a lot better.

Kathianne
05-16-2018, 08:09 PM
Nice. It's not In-N-Out, but a close second in my book...

There's .N' Out too, Had that last time. Fries at both are jusr so so for me.. Burgers are really good, though not Portillo's good. )

Black Diamond
05-16-2018, 08:17 PM
Pffft. Whataburger is head n shoulders WAY above In-N-Out. Had one of those next door to our apt complex in Vista, CA. In-N-Out might be a distant second, but it IS better than McDonald's or Burger King.

The BESTEST hamburger ever ... Bobby J's in Helotes, Tex. Awesome burgers, cooked to order and doesn't make the wallet run for cover. They believe that Texas hype too about everything being bigger. Works for me. Family owned joint been there for years.
You don't like in n out cause it originated in California

Kathianne
05-16-2018, 09:25 PM
I've yet to have a burger under $10, that beats Portillo's! Their fries also rock, as do their shakes and malts, though unlike Whataburger they limit to chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.

I don't do shakes/malts, but Whataburger did have a special salted caramel.

Gunny
05-16-2018, 09:36 PM
You don't like in n out cause it originated in CaliforniaIt was okay. Better than some. If you'd been across this country from coast to coast as many times as I have you become a hamburger and motel expert. I pretty know how far it is in either direction on 10, where I'm going to eat and where I'm going to stay. And I learned all that crap BEFORE I was do it on my own and travelling with my USAF family as a kid. There aren't too many places between I-40 and !-10, or up and down I-95 of I-5/I-15 I can't get to without a map.

Most importantly, if you drink a lot of coffee to stay awake, you have to know where the rest stops are to pee :laugh:

I liked different things in different places. For instance, you can get anything delivered in Alexandria, VA (DC). I STILL miss that. Getting medium ribeye, baked potato and salad dropped at my door. Too cool.

I loved the seafood in FL and in Norfolk, VA. I didn't like either the seafood nor mexican food in CA or NM. I love the Mexican food here. The seafood sucks. The seafood in Okinawa was awesome. Used to eat at this little joint right outside Camp Foster in Kitimae. Okinawa's KFC and McDonald's sucked :laugh:

Funny thing, kathianne lives in AZ and the only place I really ever stopped in AZ was Casa Grande to get gas because that's where I-8 splits from I-10 and goes to Yuma and San Diego. There's a rest area in Texas Canyon north of Tucson. I didn't even know they had Whataburger there. Otherwise, AZ was just the desert after the NM desert and before the CA desert.

Went to Parker Dam a few times when I was a young troopy. It's on the Colorado River and we got there, reaise Hell and drink beer and bob around in the water. :)

Kathianne
05-16-2018, 09:53 PM
Gunny, I found out San Diego is less than 5 hours away, that's cool!

Gunny
05-16-2018, 09:57 PM
Gunny, I found out San Diego is less than 5 hours away, that's cool!I could have told you THAT. It actually is about 5 hours hours away. I don't think it's less than that, but not much more either. Either way, it's worth the drive if you just want to see the place.

Just remember this about SoCal: DON'T take an exit that you don't intend to. You can't just used SoCal exists as turnarounds like every where else. You take an exit there and you're off on another freeway going somewhere else :laugh:

Kathianne
05-16-2018, 10:49 PM
I could have told you THAT. It actually is about 5 hours hours away. I don't think it's less than that, but not much more either. Either way, it's worth the drive if you just want to see the place.

Just remember this about SoCal: DON'T take an exit that you don't intend to. You can't just used SoCal exists as turnarounds like every where else. You take an exit there and you're off on another freeway going somewhere else :laugh:

I wouldn't go alone. Have a friend go with. Zoo would be good. Dinner and hotel overnight!

darin
05-17-2018, 03:21 AM
5 Guys is probably my favourite burger. Made to order - Oh my Damn!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcJFdCmN98s

Gunny
05-17-2018, 07:33 AM
I wouldn't go alone. Have a friend go with. Zoo would be good. Dinner and hotel overnight!The zoo is nice. Be prepared to walk. And I mean WALK. It's uphill-downhill too, but it's the nicest zoo I've ever been to.

If you REALLY want to get crazy, you can go early on a Sunday morning and just stay on I-8 until it ends. That will put you at the San Diego Airport. I wish I could remember all the street names. On the other side of the airport is Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego. Sunday is visitor's day for recruits graduating boot camp the following weekend. Anyone can get on the Depot pretty much. It IS a Nation Historical Monument. It's an interesting place, and if you like architecture, the arcade that surrounds the parade deck is why it is a Historical Monument.

Just don't stop at that rest stop between Casa Grande and Yuma. Isolated, dark and always gave me the willies. Usually a weirdo or two hanging around too. If we stopped (traveling with 3 girls is inconvenient), I would stand outside the bathroom with a .45 in my waistband and my hand on the butt. Place is CREEPY. :laugh: