PDA

View Full Version : Boater: File a Float Plan!

Elessar
05-21-2018, 12:32 PM
This is only common sense. Make sure you give a full description of the vessel as well as the other information
in this press release.

Also, invest in a VHF-FM Marine band radio. Cell Phones are NOT a reliable means of communication.
The phone has to be within 'sight' of a cell tower to work. There are many places, especially Northern
California, Oregon, and Alaska that cell towers are far and few between. Plus the tower's visibility can be
blocked by terrain (mountains).

Satellite phones will work, but they are costly and a person needs to subscribe to the service with a monthly fee.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1f09799

CSM
05-21-2018, 05:44 PM
This is only common sense. Make sure you give a full description of the vessel as well as the other information
in this press release.

Also, invest in a VHF-FM Marine band radio. Cell Phones are NOT a reliable means of communication.
The phone has to be within 'sight' of a cell tower to work. There are many places, especially Northern
California, Oregon, and Alaska that cell towers are far and few between. Plus the tower's visibility can be
blocked by terrain (mountains).

Satellite phones will work, but they are costly and a person needs to subscribe to the service with a monthly fee.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1f09799

I hear that. I ALWAYS file a float plan when cruising. I always tell folks where I am headed and how long I expect to be gone. I have two radios on board plus a hand held. I have a chart plotter with GPS/radar plus a handheld and paper charts. I have a pre-cruise and post cruise checklist which I actually follow even though I know them by heart.

Elessar
05-21-2018, 10:12 PM
One thing I forgot to mention - if you plan on spending a lot of time on the water,
invest in an EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon).

Make sure it is registered fully with NOAA! That way searchers will know what they are looking for.
The registration is FREE and no processing fees.

Read the owner's manual on proper use.

To properly activate one, make sure it points straight up into the sky and, as much as possible, free
of overhead obstructions. Do NOT point one sideways! That will give a false position to the satellites
that detect them.

Testing period is at the top of the hour to 5 minutes past - every hour.

Kathianne
05-21-2018, 10:21 PM
I can't believe someone would get on any body of water without doing as you outlined! Heck, driving from where I am to where I'm moving has me out of cell service for nearly an hour. I hate that, bit know someone will call any accident or breakdown in, while I keep myself safely out of danger. To rely on a cell phone in a water emergency? Nuts!

Elessar
05-21-2018, 10:39 PM
I can't believe someone would get on any body of water without doing as you outlined! Heck, driving from where I am to where I'm moving has me out of cell service for nearly an hour. I hate that, bit know someone will call any accident or breakdown in, while I keep myself safely out of danger. To rely on a cell phone in a water emergency? Nuts!

After 25 years in Search and Rescue, you would not believe some of the tales I could
tell about ill-prepared or simply ignorant boaters.