PDA

View Full Version : Air Force members guarding nukes took and dealt LSD

gabosaurus
05-24-2018, 10:01 AM
Wyoming fly boys know how to have a good time. :cool:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/24/air-force-members-lsd-guarding-nuclear-missiles

One airman said he felt paranoia. Another marveled at the vibrant colors. A third admitted, “I absolutely just loved altering my mind.”

Meet service members entrusted with guarding nuclear missiles that are among the most powerful in America’s arsenal. Air force records obtained by the Associated Press show they bought, distributed and used the hallucinogen LSD and other mind-altering illegal drugs as part of a ring that operated undetected for months on a highly secure military base in Wyoming.

“Although this sounds like something from a movie, it isn’t,” said Capt Charles Grimsley, the lead prosecutor of one of several courts martial.

A slip-up on social media by one airman enabled investigators to crack the drug ring at FE Warren Air Force Base in March 2016. The details are reported here for the first time. Fourteen airmen were disciplined, of whom six were convicted in courts martial of LSD use or distribution or both.

High_Plains_Drifter
05-24-2018, 10:11 AM
The Legacy of the CIA’s Secret LSD Experiments on America
http://healthland.time.com/2012/03/23/the-legacy-of-the-cias-secret-lsd-experiments-on-america/

Gunny
05-24-2018, 12:34 PM
Wyoming fly boys know how to have a good time. :cool:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/may/24/air-force-members-lsd-guarding-nuclear-missilesGuarding and having a clue what to do with nuclear missiles are two, VERY different animals. People don't put the sharpest knives in the drawer on guard duty. It's usually where you put noobs and terminal dumbasses.

They are United States Military personnel. The use of illegal substances will not be tolerated and punishable by court martial. As I used to tell my little jarheads about smoking dope ... I have no personal moral issue with smoking pot. It is illegal and you WILL get caught eventually if you do it. Decide wisely.

These dummies didn't.

gabosaurus
05-24-2018, 04:37 PM
Wide ranging use of hallucinogens among active duty military, especially in combat zones, is well known. Either out of boredom or as a relief valve from battle fatigue. Perhaps the fly boys pulling guard duty didn't have enough to do up there. :cool:

Gunny
05-24-2018, 05:04 PM
Wide ranging use of hallucinogens among active duty military, especially in combat zones, is well known. Either out of boredom or as a relief valve from battle fatigue. Perhaps the fly boys pulling guard duty didn't have enough to do up there. :cool:That is incorrect. We're not in Vietnam anymore, Gabby. DO try and catch up with 45 years you missed.

Drugs have not been readily available in any combat zone we have been in since then. Perhaps in Afghanistan but those are mostly Marines and the Corps will test you on Friday then turn around and do it again Monday to see who thinks they're smarter than the average bear. Only a few are dumb enough to risk it, and those few are usually willing to take any punishment the military dishes out to get out.

You're also showing your ignorance in the area of "flyboys". Pilots are officers. They don't stand guard duty. About half of them are alcoholics. I doubt many if any at all are going to risk their career or that job waiting at United Airlines to get popped on a drug test.

Junior enlisted personnel walk guard posts and they're not even allowed to get too close to the planes much less fly them.

AND ... they're called "zoomies". Flyboys is so freakin' WWII.

This is just another shining example of finding the needle in the haystack dummies and trying to present them as the norm to throw dirt on the military.

gabosaurus
05-24-2018, 06:38 PM
Dang Gunny, that's harsh. Plus, you are missing the entire satirical bent on my reply.
If you join the Marines, you are a Marine. If you join the Air Force, you are a member of the Air Force. A fly boy. Since a ground boy is obviously something else. Time has no bearing. Once a fly boy, always a fly boy. Perhaps fledgling fly boys. Or grounded fly boys. Or not qualified yet to be a fly boy but perhaps some day.
No one is throwing dirt on the military. It just so happens there is a bit of dirt to throw around. Like there is in every line of work.

High_Plains_Drifter
05-24-2018, 06:55 PM
Pilots are officers. About half of them are alcoholics.
Say WHAT?

High_Plains_Drifter
05-24-2018, 06:57 PM
Dang Gunny, that's harsh. Plus, you are missing the entire satirical bent on my reply.
If you join the Marines, you are a Marine. If you join the Air Force, you are a member of the Air Force. A fly boy. Since a ground boy is obviously something else. Time has no bearing. Once a fly boy, always a fly boy. Perhaps fledgling fly boys. Or grounded fly boys. Or not qualified yet to be a fly boy but perhaps some day.
No one is throwing dirt on the military. It just so happens there is a bit of dirt to throw around. Like there is in every line of work.
Aaaaah... NO. Take it form this 8 year veteran of the Air Force... we're NOT "fly boys."

Gunny is right. If you want to use the SLANG TERM for an Air Force troop, it's "ZOOMIE."

Now you've been educated. So if you chose to continue talking ignorant, that's up to you.

Gunny
05-24-2018, 06:58 PM
No one is throwing dirt on the military. It just so happens there is a bit of dirt to throw around. Like there is in every line of work.I was born and grew up in the Air Force. AND as a Marine I know the proper nomenclature for USAF personnel is "zoomie". You aren't keeping up with the times. They've been zoomies since the 70s at least.
And I'm ALWAYS harsh. Is that supposed to be some kind of accusation or something? :thanks:

High_Plains_Drifter
05-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Half of all the pilots are NOT, ALCOHOLICS!

WHERE did THAT come from?

aboutime
05-24-2018, 07:27 PM
Wide ranging use of hallucinogens among active duty military, especially in combat zones, is well known. Either out of boredom or as a relief valve from battle fatigue. Perhaps the fly boys pulling guard duty didn't have enough to do up there. :cool:

Most of the Democrat members of Congress are constantly under their own Illegal Use of DRUGS.....called LIAR ENHANCEMENT TABLETS. Anyone listening to Nancy Pelosi, or Chucky Cheese Schumer lately can see, and hear the same EFFECTS. But it's easier to expose a limited number of military members who only pose a threat to THEMSELVES.
It's not like they have the RED button that would launch an ICBM.

Gunny
05-24-2018, 08:09 PM
Half of all the pilots are NOT, ALCOHOLICS!

WHERE did THAT come from?Shit, half the Marine ones are. Or were anyway. :laugh: Point is, military personnel, especially ones with something to lose are going to drink rather than do drugs because it's legal.

High_Plains_Drifter
05-24-2018, 08:15 PM
Shit, half the Marine ones are. Or were anyway. :laugh: Point is, military personnel, especially ones with something to lose are going to drink rather than do drugs because it's legal.
OK... glad you quantified that. I spent a lot of years on the flight line and personally knew a lot of pilots. We liked our pilots and always partied with them when we'd go on TDY, and yeah they drank, but I was in Operational Training Detachment right before I got out, and I was in charge of putting together all the training manuals and such for the cherry pilots, and I know for fact from all my experiences with AF pilots that there's no way in hell half were alcoholics.

I knew my fair share of regular troops that did drugs though, acid, coke, pot, you name it. Piss tests in the AF back when I was in were random and they just took their chances, but even then you were forewarned of the test. People drank vinegar and everything else under the sun to beat the test. In fact, I knew lots of them that did beat the test. Sometimes I got the notion that the AF really didn't want to know if you were doing drugs or not. If you were doing a good job and the AF felt you were an asset, if you got pissed tested and tested pos, they'd just pretend it was neg.

Gunny
05-24-2018, 08:26 PM
OK... glad you quantified that. I spent a lot of years on the flight line and personally knew a lot of pilots. We liked our pilots and always partied with them when we'd go on TDY, and yeah they drank, but I was in Operational Training Detachment right before I got out, and I was in charge of putting together all the training manuals and such for the cherry pilots, and I know for fact from all my experiences with AF pilots that there's no way in hell half were alcoholics.

I knew my fair share of regular troops that did drugs though, acid, coke, pot, you name it. Piss tests in the AF back when I was in were random and they just took their chances, but even then you were forewarned of the test. People drank vinegar and everything else under the sun to beat the test. In fact, I knew lots of them that did beat the test. Sometimes I got the notion that the AF really didn't want to know if you were doing drugs or not. If you were doing a good job and the AF felt you were an asset, if you got pissed tested and tested pos, they'd just pretend it was neg.I didn't say they flew drunk. I've never seen THAT. I've known plenty that couldn't get to O Club fast enough when the bell rang though.

And you could get away with smoking weed when I joined. They didn't have a test for it. And nobody really cared. They could only test for chemicals then. Made for some pretty good comedy in the field at times.

This is no sh*t. About 15 LCpls and below crammed into a three man room with a cloud any Apache would be proud of. Knock on the door. It's the barracks SNCO. He looks, then says the OOD walked by and smelled something funny and sent me to investigate. Y'all better get out of here :laugh: Probably got stoned just opening the door :laugh2:

You did that now? They'd have every MP on base surrounding the BEQ and you'd be doing some brig time.

High_Plains_Drifter
05-24-2018, 08:51 PM
I didn't say they flew drunk. I've never seen THAT. I've known plenty that couldn't get to O Club fast enough when the bell rang though.

And you could get away with smoking weed when I joined. They didn't have a test for it. And nobody really cared. They could only test for chemicals then. Made for some pretty good comedy in the field at times.

This no sh*t. About 15 LCpls and below crammed into a three man room with a cloud any Apache would be proud of. Knock on the door. It's the barracks SNCO. He looks, then says the OOD walked by and smelled something funny and sent me to investigate. Y'all better get out of here :laugh: Probably got stoned just opening the door :laugh2:

You did that now? They'd have every MP on base surrounding the BEQ and you'd be doing some big time.
Hell there wasn't much you COULDN'T buy right in the barracks at Nellis... pot... acid... coke. They liked the blotter acid in Vegas, and coke.

Weekends in the barracks at Nellis looked a lot like ANIMAL HOUSE. MacDill was a whole different story. The barracks looked like a ghost town on the weekends. Could have been because it was a training base. They actually encouraged people to party on base at Nellis though. It was easy to get in trouble in Vegas.

Gunny
05-24-2018, 09:30 PM
Hell there wasn't much you COULDN'T buy right in the barracks at Nellis... pot... acid... coke. They liked the blotter acid in Vegas, and coke.

Weekends in the barracks at Nellis looked a lot like ANIMAL HOUSE. MacDill was a whole different story. The barracks looked like a ghost town on the weekends. Could have been because it was a training base. They actually encouraged people to party on base at Nellis though. It was easy to get in trouble in Vegas.The BEQ in 29 Palms CA, the middle of the Hi Desert and no housing in sight ... people with cars got the hell out on the weekends -- was Party Central. We just had weed and booze though. Jarheads THEN weren't really into anything else and you had to drive forever to get anything. Palm Springs was 50 miles. LA 180. When I say desert, I mean desert.

And most everybody drank or smoked weed then. Different times. We lost a lot of people when they came out with the piss test because at first it was discretionary on the part of the CO what he wanted to do and it wasn't instant death like now. Many said nope, put me out. I'm not quitting smoking pot.

Might have been different for me but the desert did a number on my sinuses. One hit of smoke would give a psycho headache from Hell. I'm sure God was behind that :( Anyway, I HAD to quit several months before they unveiled their wonderful piss test so I was clean. Good thing they didn't test for alcohol by volume :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
05-24-2018, 09:43 PM
The BEQ in 29 Palms CA, the middle of the Hi Desert and no housing in sight ... people with cars got the hell out on the weekends -- was Party Central. We just had weed and booze though. Jarheads THEN weren't really into anything else and you had to drive forever to get anything. Palm Springs was 50 miles. LA 180. When I say desert, I mean desert.

And most everybody drank or smoked weed then. Different times. We lost a lot of people when they came out with the piss test because at first it was discretionary on the part of the CO what he wanted to do and it wasn't instant death like now. Many said nope, put me out. I'm not quitting smoking pot.

Might have been different for me but the desert did a number on my sinuses. One hit of smoke would give a psycho headache from Hell. I'm sure God was behind that :( Anyway, I HAD to quit severl months before the unveiled their wonderful piss test so I was clean. Good thing they didn't test for alcohol by volume :laugh:
Best party base I was ever at though was Chanute AFB in Rantoul, ILL, my tech school base. There was 3 or 4 different bars on base depending on what you wanted to do, have a nice sit down dinner, or play pool and fooz ball, or dance, there was a bar for each thing. We had one we called The PIT and the PING, even had a huge LIT DANCE FLOOR. Good times... The Timbers was a real nice place, sit down dining, great live music on the weekends, they wanted people to stay on base. I stayed in the old WWII barracks when I got to Chanute and we never had inspections. They didn't give a crap because they had wooden floors and the like, nothing to BUFF, and we got away with all kinds of shit there. Then I got moved to the newer barracks, it sucked, inspections, inspections and more inspections.

Gunny
05-25-2018, 08:17 AM
Best party base I was ever at though was Chanute AFB in Rantoul, ILL, my tech school base. There was 3 or 4 different bars on base depending on what you wanted to do, have a nice sit down dinner, or play pool and fooz ball, or dance, there was a bar for each thing. We had one we called The PIT and the PING, even had a huge LIT DANCE FLOOR. Good times... The Timbers was a real nice place, sit down dining, great live music on the weekends, they wanted people to stay on base. I stayed in the old WWII barracks when I got to Chanute and we never had inspections. They didn't give a crap because they had wooden floors and the like, nothing to BUFF, and we got away with all kinds of shit there. Then I got moved to the newer barracks, it sucked, inspections, inspections and more inspections.No wonder my father liked it there. 3-4 bars was right up his alley at the time. :)

High_Plains_Drifter
05-25-2018, 08:39 AM
No wonder my father liked it there. 3-4 bars was right up his alley at the time. :)
I took my tech school in that massive old building, White Hall... it's gone now... they tore it down. Was the biggest building the AF had back in the day. The majority of the base is neglected and overgrown with brush and trees now, looks like Chernobyl... sad... and makes me feel old... :rolleyes: