PDA

View Full Version : US tariffs: Allies retaliate with levies on jam, lamps and sleeping bags

Gunny
06-01-2018, 08:27 PM
The US has slapped tariffs on steel and aluminium imports from its allies the EU, Canada and Mexico - but don't think they'll take it without a fight.
All three have already announced retaliatory measures as the US follows its new policy, which has been attacked as "protectionism, pure and simple" by the EU.
Ranging from serious to strange, these counter-tariffs could play a part in a growing trade battle.
It's too early to say how consumers will be hit in all the affected countries, but prices could rise throughout the world in light of these tariffs.
Read on to see which American products each US ally plans to target.

What is a trade war and why should I worry? (http://www.bbc.com/news/world-43512098)
Trade tariffs: Real war or phoney war (http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44322116)

CanadaPrime Minister Justin Trudeau objected strongly to the announced tariffs, calling them an "affront" to their nations' military alliance.
He said Canada buys half of US steel exports.

Canada plans "trade-restrictive countermeasures" on C$16.6bn ($12.8bn) of US goods, to come into effect on 1 July.
The country will impose a 25% tariff on assorted US steel products, including railway tracks, piping and steel sheets.
But Canada also plans a 10% tariff on more varied items:

Yoghurt, soya sauce, strawberry jam, "mixed condiments", pizza and quiche
Orange juice, whiskies, coffee, soups and waters
Manicure and pedicure products, hair lacquers, shaving foam, toilet paper and dishwasher detergents
Playing cards, felt-tipped pens, inflatable boats, lawnmowers and sleeping bags

The list, published by the Department of Finance (https://www.fin.gc.ca/activty/consult/cacsap-cmpcaa-eng.asp), also includes a 10% tariff on candles - although, relax Canadians, "not including those for birthdays, Christmas or other festive occasions".
Senior Canadian officials say the list is designed to exert political pressure on the US and make it take notice of how this will affect trade.
Asked by reporters if he was ready to start a trade war with its southern neighbour, Mr Trudeau said Canada was "ready for anything".

The EUEuropean Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker said he planned to take the US to the World Trade Organization over the American tariffs, a policy he called "totally unacceptable".
Meanwhile, EU Trade Commissioner Cecilia Malmstrom called the US measures a "dangerous game" (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44324565) and said the EU would not "stay silent".
The bloc released a list of tariffs (http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/docs/2018/march/tradoc_156648.pdf) in March - 10 pages of US goods it plans to target:

Bourbon whiskey, orange juice and cranberries
Jeans, T-shirts and tobacco
Corn and other agricultural products
Steel and industrial products
Cosmetics, consumer goods, motorbikes and pleasure boats
Snuff and chewing tobacco

The aim is to have the maximum political effect. Kentucky, home to bourbon whiskey, is Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell's state.
Orange juice, meanwhile, is a major export of Florida - a key US swing state.
France's junior trade minister Jean-Baptiste Lemoyne said he expects EU counter-measures to be completed by mid-June.
MexicoAmerica's southern neighbour also swiftly released a list of products on which it would impose tariffs, "up to an amount comparable to the level of damage" of US tariffs.
Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo said in a radio interview that the measures would target US products from districts that would cause political difficulties for Mr Trump.
He said levies would be placed on the following: (https://www.gob.mx/se/articulos/mexico-impondra-medidas-equivalentes-a-diversos-productos-ante-las-medidas-proteccionistas-de-ee-uu-en-acero-y-aluminio-158765?idiom=es)

Flat steel, hot and cold foil products, and piping
Cold cuts, pork chops and sausages
Berries, grapes, apples and "various cheeses"
Lamps

Mr Guajardo said Mexico was the top buyer of US aluminium and the second-biggest buyer of US steel, and that "this kind of thing does not benefit anybody".
US tariffs could hit $4bn worth of trade between the two countries.
In 2009, Mexico imposed higher tariffs on dozens of US products such as apples, frozen potatoes and Christmas trees in a dispute over the access of Mexican trucks to US highways.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-44320727

Pretty lame title for the BBC considering the lists above that apparently are not all-inclusive. Saw this one coming. We, the consumers, are going to pay for it.

aboutime
06-01-2018, 08:38 PM
The EU, CANADA, and MEXICO all got caught by Trump, exposing them for CHEATING us, and now...THEY ARE ANGRY?

They had 25% Tarifs on OUR PRODUCTS (exports), and we had 0% tarifs on their products (inports) for many decades. They are complaining like Hillary Voters for getting caught with their HANDS in the Cookie jar...and...Democrats insist....It's an unfair Trade War???

Gunny
06-01-2018, 09:12 PM
The EU, CANADA, and MEXICO all got caught by Trump, exposing them for CHEATING us, and now...THEY ARE ANGRY?

They had 25% Tarifs on OUR PRODUCTS (exports), and we had 0% tarifs on their products (inports) for many decades. They are complaining like Hillary Voters for getting caught with their HANDS in the Cookie jar...and...Democrats insist....It's an unfair Trade War???I'm not too happy about it myself. I currently have a fixed income. I like my purchasing power right where it is.

paying to prop up a failed industry seems about as worthwhile as funding Mueller.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-01-2018, 09:41 PM
Apparently the the only trade deal the EU, Canada and Mexico can be happy with is FUCKING AMERICA, since that's what they've been doing for DECADES.

Well FUCK THEM. That shit ends now, and I don't give a rats ass if I have to pay another $0.17 for something, they can kiss my American ass. I'd rather buy products made in America anyway, and gladly pay more for them.

Black Diamond
06-02-2018, 08:18 AM
I'm not too happy about it myself. I currently have a fixed income. I like my purchasing power right where it is.

paying to prop up a failed industry seems about as worthwhile as funding Mueller.
It matters if you want to win Michigan and Pennsylvania

Black Diamond
06-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Actually I don't know that this is a political move. He's been talking like this for 35 years.

Gunny
06-02-2018, 08:36 AM

Actually I don't know that this is a political move. He's been talking like this for 35 years.

Are you talking to yourself? :wtf:

Dayum do we ever need a few more members ... :laugh:

Gunny
06-02-2018, 09:14 AM
Apparently the the only trade deal the EU, Canada and Mexico can be happy with is FUCKING AMERICA, since that's what they've been doing for DECADES.

Well FUCK THEM. That shit ends now, and I don't give a rats ass if I have to pay another $0.17 for something, they can kiss my American ass. I'd rather buy products made in America anyway, and gladly pay more for them.

I get tired of the rah rah MAGA crap minus the reality of the impact to consumers. Cutting off your own d*ck for somebody's warped idea they need to pay someone back and "show everybody who's boss" is STILL cutting off your own d*ck.

It isn't .17. Gas has ALREADY gone up 60 cents PER GALLON since last time I bought it. That's $18.00 more per fill up for me and that's JUST gas. Add up ALL the 17 cents's and it ain't 17 cents. It's DOLLARS.

I might see the justification if it was just trying to balance trade. Artificially propping up an industry that failed IN A FREE, CAPITALIST market is just BS. It failed because they refused to modernize when they were fat cats, and we will NEVER be able to compete fairly on the World market as long as Union overheads are involved because no one is going to pay extra so the US can have its corrupt, fat cat bureaucracy controlling its labor. Fair? It is unfair for us to expect that of anyone else.

We're so f-ing bad and don't need anyone else? Fine. Pull us off the World market. THAT is "f-ng bad" and THAT would be making a statement.

Either way, any of these "tax cuts" and "financial relief" we got? It's going to all go to pay for a trade war. We'll just be right back where we were with only the numbers being different.

And No, I DON'T want to pay for THAT sleight-of-hand, smoke-n-mirrors bullshit.

Black Diamond
06-02-2018, 09:20 AM
Are you talking to yourself? :wtf:

Dayum do we ever need a few more members ... :laugh:
I hate having that "edited by black diamond ".

I have to admit I am happy blue tooth and the like were invented. Now I can talk to myself and people think I'm on the phone. :laugh:

Gunny
06-02-2018, 09:26 AM
I hate having that "edited by black diamond ".

I have to admit I am happy blue tooth and the like were invented. Now I can talk to myself and people think I'm on the phone. :laugh:My typing has been so bad the past year and a half I had to get over the "edited by Bunny" crap. When I feel like it, anyway :) My spelling is actually fine. A combination of nerve damage and a STOOPID laptop are my issues. I can just look at this thing and it does stupid sh*t. Sometimes I feel like :deadhorse:the damned thing.