PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court - Rules in favor of bakery against homozealous hateful states

darin
06-04-2018, 09:32 AM
What I dont get is they call it a 'narrow' victory yet it looks like 7-2.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/04/supreme-court-rules-in-favor-of-colorado-baker-who-refused-to-make-wedding-cake-for-gay-couple-for-religious-reasons.html

Thank God for at least three more years of Trump to fill our judiciary with conservative judges.

Abbey Marie
06-04-2018, 03:42 PM
Yeah, that can be misleading. They meant the ruling itself was narrow. In law terminology, it means it applies to a narrow set of facts, and cannot necessarily be cited in support of cases where the facts are different. Nothing to do with the number of justices in the majority.

Still, an encouraging ruling, and I’m psyched!

Kathianne
06-04-2018, 04:51 PM
If I've read it right, SCOTUS ruled the one baker had been treated in a very biased way by the local authorities, which were then backed by the lower courts. SCOTUS said that is unfair, ALL people have the right to be heard, their rights-including religious-to be considered. In this case, they saw only ridicule from the local authorities.

In this case, the baker's rights were violated.

So, the question of can a business be ordered to provide a service? Kicked back to state courts.

darin
06-05-2018, 03:09 AM
If I've read it right, SCOTUS ruled the one baker had been treated in a very biased way by the local authorities, which were then backed by the lower courts. SCOTUS said that is unfair, ALL people have the right to be heard, their rights-including religious-to be considered. In this case, they saw only ridicule from the local authorities.

In this case, the baker's rights were violated.

So, the question of can a business be ordered to provide a service? Kicked back to state courts.

Seems to me a business owner would be best-served by saying "We are booked. We can't provide the service." etc. Avoid the whole "Because you're gay" statement.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-05-2018, 04:04 AM
The ruling was still a blow to the homo mafia.

If I was a fag and walked into some bakery and they said they didn't want to bake me a cake, I'd just go to one of the other thousands of a bake shops and ask them.

This place was TARGETED, INTENTIONALLY, by the homo mafia that KNEW they'd be turned down, just so they could ATTEMPT to either FORCE them to bake a cake, or PUT THEM OUT OF BUSINESS. It was a SHITTY thing to do... kinda like sodomy.

Kathianne
06-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Seems to me a business owner would be best-served by saying "We are booked. We can't provide the service." etc. Avoid the whole "Because you're gay" statement.

I wouldn't disagree. I think both were trying to define their 'rights.' In this case, thanks to the city leaders, the baker prevailed, though not on his argument, rather the way he was treated.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2018, 09:01 AM
If one wants to avoid being sued, better to smile, say yes, then bake a pretty sub-par cake, and conveniently forget to add any writing, etc., that indicates it’s for a gay wedding. “Oops, sorry”.

No one can prove you deliberately did that, if you don’t mention it, but they may be able to prove you weren’t too busy to bake it.

darin
06-05-2018, 09:10 AM
If one wants to avoid being sued, better to smile, say yes, then bake a pretty sub-par cake, and conveniently forget to add any writing, etc., that indicates it’s for a gay wedding. “Oops, sorry”.

No one can prove you deliberately did that, if you don’t mention it, but they may be able to prove you weren’t too busy to bake it.

Really sucks to have to hide from liberty. :(

Abbey Marie
06-05-2018, 10:00 AM
Really sucks to have to hide from liberty. :(

Aint that the truth.

And these days, in so many ways.