PDA

View Full Version : Why Trump is wrong about the 'greatest economy' in history

jimnyc
06-05-2018, 02:55 PM
Any way you slice it or dice it, this only proves that Trump has had fantastic results as president. This is not negative and not the sign of a recession. Folks said that crap prior to the election, and look what has been accomplished.They want to diminish anything positive that Trump does. "I" will be the first to state that Trump is wrong in stating the best ever - but also certainly not too shabby. And it IS comical watching some on the left look for and make up negativity out of positive.

---

Why Trump is wrong about the 'greatest economy' in history

As is often the case, President Trump is half-right.

He has been more strident than usual lately about “record setting economic numbers” and the strong job market. Fair enough: The unemployment rate, at 3.8%, is at the lowest level in 18 years, and growth might hit or exceed 3% this year.

But he’s going way overboard when he insists that, “in many ways this is the greatest economy in the history of America.” It’s not, and the reasons why matter—because they might be the rumblings of the next recession.

Yahoo Finance has been grading the Trump economy on a monthly basis for the last year, using data provided by Moody’s Analytics. Our current grade on the Trumponomics report card is a solid B. Since Trump is claiming historical superiority, we’ll tell you exactly where he stands, because we measure the Trump economy relative to prior presidents going back to Richard Nixon in the 1970s, at the same point in their first term. Here’s a breakdown:

Total employment: Trump ranks 3rd highest among seven presidents on overall job creation, going back to Nixon. Job creation was stronger under Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton at the same point in their presidencies.

Manufacturing employment: Trump ranks second in the number of manufacturing jobs created since he became president, trailing only Carter. This is his highest mark.

Growth in average hourly earnings: Trump ranks third, behind Carter and George W. Bush.

Exports: This data only goes back to 1992, but since then, Trump ranks third out of four presidents, behind Clinton and Barack Obama. This is his lowest mark.

The S&P 500 stock index. Trump is third again. Stocks did better under Obama and George H.W. Bush during their first 16 months.

Real GDP per capita. Third again, behind Carter and Clinton once more.

If the economy continues to improve under Trump, his Trumponomics grade will go higher. He’ll also benefit by comparison to some of the other presidents. Jimmy Carter, for instance, came into office as a recovery from recession was gaining steam. But the recovery petered out by his fourth year in office, when a fresh recession began.

Rest - https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/trump-wrong-greatest-economy-history-140003521.html

Gunny
06-05-2018, 06:53 PM
I'd like to know who the hell was making all this money and where these jobs were under Carter. That was pre-Marine for me and I was working 2 jobs for peanuts so I could afford HALF the rent. Gas skyrocketed, when you were allowed to buy it. Even or odd days that matched your last number on your license plate with a $5 limit. For THAT privilege you got to wait in line an hour or so.

One of the reasons I joined the Marines was to escape his economy so I'm calling bullshit.

Clinton put a SERIOUS hurt on me.

I don't know where they got THEIR numbers from, but i know who lived MY life back then. That Carter crap is jaw-dropping. Instant loss of credibility.

Black Diamond
06-05-2018, 07:00 PM
I'd like to know who the hell was making all this money and where these jobs were under Carter. That was pre-Marine for me and I was working 2 jobs for peanuts so I could afford HALF the rent. Gas skyrocketed, when you were allowed to buy it. Even or odd days that matched your last number on your license plate with a $5 limit. For THAT privilege you got to wait in line an hour or so.

One of the reasons I joined the Marines was to escape his economy so I'm calling bullshit.

Clinton put a SERIOUS hurt on me.

I don't know where they got THEIR numbers from, but i know who lived MY life back then. That Carter crap is jaw-dropping. Instant loss of credibility.
Did carter collapse in 1980? Did it come crashing down all at once ?

aboutime
06-05-2018, 07:20 PM
Did carter collapse in 1980? Did it come crashing down all at once ?

Funny remembering the Carter years, sitting in my car...engine off, waiting my turn a block from the gas station, to get the limit fill because my License Number Began with an ODD number.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/unit11powerpointthe70sand80s-110829152408-phpapp01/95/unit-11-powerpoint-the-1970s-and-1980s-54-728.jpg?cb=1314632324https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/e5/9c/69e59c17d0400cc34d0f3d275b52316e.jpg

OH...HOW WE WISH FOR THOSE DAYS AGAIN??? PRICES THIS MONTH IN CALIFORNIA.

https://www.throwbacks.com/content/images/2017/09/11-4-25-gas-prices.jpg

Black Diamond
06-05-2018, 07:34 PM
Funny remembering the Carter years, sitting in my car...engine off, waiting my turn a block from the gas station, to get the limit fill because my License Number Began with an ODD number.

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/unit11powerpointthe70sand80s-110829152408-phpapp01/95/unit-11-powerpoint-the-1970s-and-1980s-54-728.jpg?cb=1314632324https://i.pinimg.com/originals/69/e5/9c/69e59c17d0400cc34d0f3d275b52316e.jpg

OH...HOW WE WISH FOR THOSE DAYS AGAIN??? PRICES THIS MONTH IN CALIFORNIA.

https://www.throwbacks.com/content/images/2017/09/11-4-25-gas-prices.jpg

So it was more than one year as you remember

Gunny
06-05-2018, 07:36 PM
Did carter collapse in 1980? Did it come crashing down all at once ?The economy wasn't great during the 70s to begin with, that I recall. The oil market world-wide went bust around 77. Carter was elected in 76. There were a lot of reasons, but we had a refined fuel shortage in the US. Carter strapped the oil industry refineries with huge restrictions on refineries and pollution. The oil companies' answer was to not build any new refineries and use only the old ones which were grandfathered.

Oil itself was "running short" because of technology. Oil wells were grained only about 1/3 then capped because it cost to much to refine the deeper oil because it contained more contaminants. The steel industry was going bust about the same time for refusing to modernize.

Then there was the semi-panic caused within the Government and people because some "doom-sayer" so-called "expert" predicted the US would reach peak oil capacity in 1977 which caused Nixon to freak out and strap us with a nation-wide 55mph speed limit, and hoarding gas for the government.

Automotive technology was slow. The mid-late 70s cars had no power, ran on only unleaded gas which was not readily available everywhere. The older engines were muscle cars that ran on 92 octane gas and were not very fuel efficient, aerodynamic and they were made of heave gauge steel.

Add to that Carter was independent who ran as a Democrat and he got the same treatment by the Dem establishment Trump gets now from the RINO establishment. Meaning he couldn't get crap done; which, given his bent was probably a good thing.

The Iran Hostage Crisis was just the cherry on top.

It's hard to explain. The 70s were just constant turmoil. I mean come on ... My Sharona kept The Devil Went Down to Georgia from the #1 Billboard spot :rolleyes: If you look at 1970 and then 1980, you'd see two different countries, societies, people. The 70s was getting from 1969 - 1981.

Carter gets a bad rap, and a lot is his own doing. He was a poor leader, and he let his Utopian dreamworld cloud out reality. I still think he is a good man. Just a bad President. And he was President at the wrong time. He basically paid for everything that went wrong from the mid-60s to 1980.

True facts: Carter had facilitated the realease of the Iran hostages before Reagan took office. Military people who were in then sa they got one of their biggest raises in Reagan's first year and give Reagan all the credit. Carter approved the raise before he left office.

aboutime
06-05-2018, 08:35 PM
So it was more than one year as you remember

I just remember how everybody talked about nothing else, and we all complained all the time.
My parents really started to feel the pain in their house because they used Heating Oil in a 250 gallon tank. My Dad said the price jumped for each gallon, unless they had a contract with the Heating Oil company that delivered to them. No contract, and they paid a higher price.
An older couple who lived next door to my parents had been hit so hard...they actually paid the Oil Truck Driver with their CHANGE....Nickles, Dimes, Quarters....Literally. It was really hard for a lot of people.