PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Civility

hjmick
08-21-2007, 11:21 AM
What is it about a message board, political message boards especially, that bring out the grade school child in, what I hope are, normally rational and civil adults? Too I often I have witnessed the descent to playground name calling, threats, and attacks on family members and I am left to wonder, do these people behave this way in their everyday life? To they attack coworkers, waiters/waitresses, neighbors, and store clerks in similar fashion? Would the people who favor and engage in such attacks do the same with a stranger in a store? On the street? In a diner or at a movie theater? That is essentially what we all are, strangers. I grant you that there is a certain familiarity between us, we know who’s posts we favor, whose ideas we tend to agree with and we know whose posts and ideas we tend to find lacking and consider best left unsaid or deposited in a septic tank. There are some members we call “friends” but the truth is, with few exceptions, none of us really know each other. So, why all the vitriol, name calling, threats, and talk of hate? There seems to be a lack of civility and respect on a message board that is taken for granted in the real world and I frequently find myself pondering the reason for this. Is it the anonymity of a message board? Is it the ability to say any damn thing we please without fear of real consequences? Is it a bloated feeling of self worth, knowing that just about everything we post will be read by someone? Or is it because we think we are better than the next guy or gal? Their ideas and opinions don’t matter because I’m right and they’re wrong and if they don’t agree they can go fuck themselves. The idea that civility and respect are, for the most part, left on the doorstep when we log in is disconcerting to some degree. How can a person expect to be heard if the next thing they type is hateful, threatening, or degrading to they guy above them?

Anyone who thinks the things we type on a message board will make a difference to the big picture is sadly mistaken and should probably go join a board at Food Network. Anyone who thinks the things they type on a message board will change the minds or opinions of fellow members is probably delusional on some level. Everything we do here is pretty much an exercise in, nothing. It’s fun. It’s not worthy taking seriously. It’s not worthy of taking anything said here to heart. Sometimes the debate is good, points are made, but rarely are positions changed by the debate. Most of us join a message board for the entertainment, some of us for the arguing, some because they’re bored, but I find it hard to believe any of us joined with the idea that we could or would change someone else’s ideas or beliefs. I think even fewer of us joined with the idea that we would be launching personal attacks on members with whom we disagreed. Who among us would do this in the real world? Why do we do it here?

truthmatters
08-21-2007, 11:30 AM
I like the element these boards have which allow people to say what they really feel.

It puts the conversation at a level that Polite discussion is ot allowed.

It really does not phase me when people flame me.

It is their emotions flaring when they are logically unable to deal with the facts provided.

I like to think of it as an opening to their thought process.

The people on these boards are for the most part decent people who are allowed to let their emotions show.

I have had many a conversation whith people who thought they hated me at first and over time found that I was a friend.

Friends can disagree and friends can find room to forgive a flare of tempers.

I have also actually assited people in changing their minds on positions.

Mr. P
08-21-2007, 11:43 AM
What is it about a message board, political message boards especially, that bring out the grade school child in, what I hope are, normally rational and civil adults? Too I often I have witnessed the descent to playground name calling, threats, and attacks on family members and I am left to wonder, do these people behave this way in their everyday life? To they attack coworkers, waiters/waitresses, neighbors, and store clerks in similar fashion? Would the people who favor and engage in such attacks do the same with a stranger in a store? On the street? In a diner or at a movie theater? That is essentially what we all are, strangers. I grant you that there is a certain familiarity between us, we know who’s posts we favor, whose ideas we tend to agree with and we know whose posts and ideas we tend to find lacking and consider best left unsaid or deposited in a septic tank. There are some members we call “friends” but the truth is, with few exceptions, none of us really know each other. So, why all the vitriol, name calling, threats, and talk of hate? There seems to be a lack of civility and respect on a message board that is taken for granted in the real world and I frequently find myself pondering the reason for this. Is it the anonymity of a message board? Is it the ability to say any damn thing we please without fear of real consequences? Is it a bloated feeling of self worth, knowing that just about everything we post will be read by someone? Or is it because we think we are better than the next guy or gal? Their ideas and opinions don’t matter because I’m right and they’re wrong and if they don’t agree they can go fuck themselves. The idea that civility and respect are, for the most part, left on the doorstep when we log in is disconcerting to some degree. How can a person expect to be heard if the next thing they type is hateful, threatening, or degrading to they guy above them?

Anyone who thinks the things we type on a message board will make a difference to the big picture is sadly mistaken and should probably go join a board at Food Network. Anyone who thinks the things they type on a message board will change the minds or opinions of fellow members is probably delusional on some level. Everything we do here is pretty much an exercise in, nothing. It’s fun. It’s not worthy taking seriously. It’s not worthy of taking anything said here to heart. Sometimes the debate is good, points are made, but rarely are positions changed by the debate. Most of us join a message board for the entertainment, some of us for the arguing, some because they’re bored, but I find it hard to believe any of us joined with the idea that we could or would change someone else’s ideas or beliefs. I think even fewer of us joined with the idea that we would be launching personal attacks on members with whom we disagreed. Who among us would do this in the real world? Why do we do it here?

You have answered your own question. Tis cyber-space, NOT real life.

Pale Rider
08-21-2007, 02:34 PM

Nice to see someone else besides me has recognized the board has decended into a state of utter personal insult caos. I've never seen it this bad. The offenders have realized they won't get banned for it, and now, fuck a debate, they just spew lies and personal insults, and the board is suffering. It's not much fun.

I tried to challenge people to stop it, but the challenge was met with utter disregard. I guess most people here would rather sling shit than have a polite debate.

08-21-2007, 03:17 PM
getting tired of people lying, being ignored etc.

Hagbard Celine
08-21-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey, after I put rsr on ignore, the last week or so has been heaven.

typomaniac
08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
For the right-wingers, I think it's a case of monkey-see, monkey-do. They hear all these (well-funded) radio hatemongers and then go out onto message boards in an effort to act just like them.

There's practically no one like that on the liberal left who has more than a couple of hundred listeners.

Mr. P
08-21-2007, 03:58 PM
For the right-wingers, I think it's a case of monkey-see, monkey-do. They hear all these (well-funded) radio hatemongers and then go out onto message boards in an effort to act just like them.

There's practically no one like that on the liberal left who has more than a couple of hundred listeners.

That's cuz the left can't stand their own BS. :laugh2:

nevadamedic
08-21-2007, 04:15 PM

:laugh2:

typomaniac
08-21-2007, 04:20 PM

And the right enjoys their own? You just shot yourself in the foot with that one. :poke:

darin
08-21-2007, 04:23 PM

Gawd - that's SOO FUNNY to me. A guy posts up about being Civil on msg boards, and you go and hurl insults.

Don't you see the problem with your liberalism? You People are hateful, nasty, and oppressive to the point you seem unable to talk about civility w/o hurling baseless, fictional, flames against those with whom you disagree.

Subjective Opinion:
EVERY SINGLE FLAMEFEST ON THIS BOARD NOT INVOLVING OCA HAS BEEN STARTED OR FANNED BY A LIBERAL. AND EVEN HE HAS BEEN INNOCENT OF STARTING CRAP. SERIOUSLY. THIS BOARD HAS SO MUCH FLAMING BECAUSE LIBERALS START SHIT, THEN PLAY ALL PASSIVE-AGGRESSIVE AND ASSUME THE ROLE OF THE VICTIM. IF NOT FOR A FEW WHINY NINNIES FROM THE LEFT, THIS BOARD WOULD BE MORE-FUN, AND LESS FIGHT.

That's not to say OCA has been the CAUSE of many of the problems here - generally, where he is concerned, it's him retaliating against a libby, or continuing a bitching-fest from one thread to another and what not.

Truth-in-lending: I LIKE OCA. As a Person. If he'd move back west, we'd hang out. A lot.

:)

darin
08-21-2007, 04:24 PM
And the right enjoys their own? You just shot yourself in the foot with that one. :poke:

I'd give that come-back a 4.5 out of 10 on the 'ooh! Nice' scale. :) 10 being best.

Mr. P
08-21-2007, 04:29 PM

The ratings prove you wrong. :poke:

It is not about hate, it's about facts. The left has few few facts and tons of hate. People don't like that.

typomaniac
08-21-2007, 05:12 PM
The ratings prove you wrong. :poke:

It is not about hate, it's about facts. The left has few few facts and tons of hate. People don't like that.

Since when did the ratings have anything to do with facts? It's all about entertainment.

Apparently most liberals aren't entertained by hate. I consider this a good thing.

typomaniac
08-21-2007, 05:14 PM
Gawd - that's SOO FUNNY to me. A guy posts up about being Civil on msg boards, and you go and hurl insults.
Insults at radio personalities? Are they no longer fair game? Guess what: they still are.

gabosaurus
08-21-2007, 05:32 PM
The faceless and anonymous nature of the internet brings out people's real feelings. What they might be afraid to state in public, on the record, they are more than willing to state on a message board. It gives certain folks the freedom to be stupid, boorish, haughty, dominating and generally asshole-ish about whatever they happen to have an opinion about.

08-21-2007, 05:36 PM
The faceless and anonymous nature of the internet brings out people's real feelings. What they might be afraid to state in public, on the record, they are more than willing to state on a message board. It gives certain folks the freedom to be stupid, boorish, haughty, dominating and generally asshole-ish about whatever they happen to have an opinion about.

Ah so thats your excuse.

darin
08-21-2007, 05:38 PM
Insults at radio personalities? Are they no longer fair game? Guess what: they still are.

You are insulting the board members. Not just the radio guys. I've never seen a conservative Radio guy (Heard one, I mean) say ANYTHING hateful.

gabosaurus
08-21-2007, 05:52 PM
I've never seen a conservative Radio guy (Heard one, I mean) say ANYTHING hateful.

You must not listen to conservative radio.

typomaniac
08-21-2007, 06:09 PM
You are insulting the board members. Not just the radio guys.

While you and many other board members here are continually insulting the liberal board members. How can you not expect backlash? :dunno:

diuretic
08-21-2007, 08:25 PM
You are insulting the board members. Not just the radio guys. I've never seen a conservative Radio guy (Heard one, I mean) say ANYTHING hateful.

I have. G. Gordon Liddy when he used to do his radio show from "Occupied Washington DC" when Clinton was in the White House. A very hateful commentator.

LiberalNation
08-21-2007, 08:29 PM
While you and many other board members here are continually insulting the liberal board members. How can you not expect backlash? :dunno:

Nah see it's okay when they do it cuz they're right and all that bull. Double standards abound here.

LiberalNation
08-21-2007, 08:31 PM
IF NOT FOR A FEW WHINY NINNIES FROM THE LEFT, THIS BOARD WOULD BE MORE-FUN, AND LESS FIGHT.
yeah it would be a yes man forum where everybody agreed. SO fun, we get to listen to ourselves over an over again. Liberals don't start crap, I don't start threads with my name on them, cons do tho.

actsnoblemartin
08-21-2007, 08:32 PM
I agree with tm, actually, I heard alot of people say bad things about tm, but then I talked to him, and he was as nice as can be to me. So, i decided to become friends with him.

The point is, a political message board draws some people who are not here for genuine debate but to piss people off.

It also brings, alot of arrogant, stubborn people, who are scared to death to moderate or change their views, because their so obssessed with being right, that how dare anyone challenge them, and everyone who disagree is their enemy.

My goal is be friends, with as many people on the board is possible, both liberal and conservative. That way, atleast when we disagree, it doesnt have to turn into a pissing contest.

I admire tm for his reply here.

I like the element these boards have which allow people to say what they really feel.

It puts the conversation at a level that Polite discussion is ot allowed.

It really does not phase me when people flame me.

It is their emotions flaring when they are logically unable to deal with the facts provided.

I like to think of it as an opening to their thought process.

The people on these boards are for the most part decent people who are allowed to let their emotions show.

I have had many a conversation whith people who thought they hated me at first and over time found that I was a friend.

Friends can disagree and friends can find room to forgive a flare of tempers.

I have also actually assited people in changing their minds on positions.

Kathianne
08-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Nice to see someone else besides me has recognized the board has decended into a state of utter personal insult caos. I've never seen it this bad. The offenders have realized they won't get banned for it, and now, fuck a debate, they just spew lies and personal insults, and the board is suffering. It's not much fun.

I tried to challenge people to stop it, but the challenge was met with utter disregard. I guess most people here would rather sling shit than have a polite debate.

I agree. I find the whole concept of 'it's just cyberspace' wrong on many levels. First of all, the idea is than no one is more real than the zzzzzz I just let my left finger make. That's wrong. The 'z's' don't rep snoring in this case, they are just a function of a point. Every poster is a real human, with most being not bad, a few just to reinforce the idea of non-reality of cyberspace.

actsnoblemartin
08-21-2007, 08:51 PM
It really depends on what program, i dont thinks its fair for you to put all conservative radio in the hate column.

Listen to dennis prager or michael medved, they are not hateful at all.

but michael savage, mark levin, and sean hannity. I wont say their hateful, but they are very mean spirited.

Im just trying to be honest and fair about this.

actsnoblemartin
08-21-2007, 08:56 PM
I have found liberalnation to be very nice to me, she gave me a pos rep, even though i might not agree with her.

To be honest, I dont know if the instigating, smack talk, and meanness is equal, meaning, 50% of libs start it, 50% of conserves, but to be honest, and fair. i honestly dont believe its 99% liberal.

I mean ive seen liberals, and conservatives get attacked viciously, just for stating an opinion, its really sad.

I think if we cracked down on mean spiritedness, we would get somewhere.

yeah it would be a yes man forum where everybody agreed. SO fun, we get to listen to ourselves over an over again. Liberals don't start crap, I don't start threads with my name on them, cons do tho.

manu1959
08-21-2007, 09:01 PM
Since when did the ratings have anything to do with facts? It's all about entertainment.

Apparently most liberals aren't entertained by hate. I consider this a good thing.

more liberals listen to rush and sean than randi rohdes.....you all are such liars

nevadamedic
08-21-2007, 09:05 PM

That's true. If IRL you spouted off half the shit you do on here you would either be choked or put in an Asylum.

nevadamedic
08-21-2007, 09:07 PM
I agree with tm, actually, I heard alot of people say bad things about tm, but then I talked to him, and he was as nice as can be to me. So, i decided to become friends with him.

The point is, a political message board draws some people who are not here for genuine debate but to piss people off.

It also brings, alot of arrogant, stubborn people, who are scared to death to moderate or change their views, because their so obssessed with being right, that how dare anyone challenge them, and everyone who disagree is their enemy.

My goal is be friends, with as many people on the board is possible, both liberal and conservative. That way, atleast when we disagree, it doesnt have to turn into a pissing contest.

I admire tm for his reply here.

:poke: TM is a female :poke: She is cool as hell.

nevadamedic
08-21-2007, 09:09 PM
It really depends on what program, i dont thinks its fair for you to put all conservative radio in the hate column.

Listen to dennis prager or michael medved, they are not hateful at all.

but michael savage, mark levin, and sean hannity. I wont say their hateful, but they are very mean spirited.

Im just trying to be honest and fair about this.

I prefer to listen to Melanie Morgan :salute:

Pale Rider
08-21-2007, 09:25 PM

See... even though you're still slinging bull, you didn't direct that at any one person in particular as a personal insult. I can live with that.

It's when lies and loathsome insults are throw at a person directly at him/her, without provocation, is where the board is suffering of late.

nevadamedic
08-21-2007, 09:27 PM

She's even coming here on September 3rd to help Nevadan's tell Senator Reid what we think of him.

She is also the head of Move America Forward and about one of the nicest ladies I have ever associated with.

typomaniac
08-22-2007, 12:01 AM
more liberals listen to rush and sean than randi rohdes.....you all are such liars

Probably true, but the only entertainment that the liberals get there is to mock those two idiots. :)

actsnoblemartin
08-22-2007, 02:03 AM
oops, sorry tm, you are one cool lady.

:poke: TM is a female :poke: She is cool as hell.

actsnoblemartin
08-22-2007, 02:03 AM
who is that, can i have a link?

JohnDoe
08-22-2007, 02:42 AM

I think this hateful behavior for political differences does an injustice to what we call humanity, and certainly a total injustice to Christianity and their duty as supposed FOLLOWERS of Christ is to bring NON believers in to becoming believers. Sadly, some of the nastiest and rudest posters in my experience have been these supposed Christians towards non believers and believers alike. Don't get me wrong, there are been plenty of Christian that have been Christianlike, and kind with their responses, but there are a handful of sanctimonious ones that hurt us all.

---------------------------------

One thing that bothers me about the total HATRED shown on this board is that it WILL follow in to the home and in to the workplace....

It may have not have done so yet, but it will eventually and before you know it, if we are not careful, we become the sunni and the shiite, here, on our own land.... :(

Love your enemies is what Jesus taught....but this seems to be something that these Christians involved in politics, have forgotten, imo....

so....I say, and I practice, for the most part....

"Let there be peace on Earth, a peace that was meant to be...

Let there be peace on Earth, and let it BEGIN WITH ME."

Remember:

You, as a Christian, are the only thing on Earth, in the physical, that represents Christ(the fishers of men)....so start being a good steward, and represent HIM is what I think is in order!

Then MAYBE those that are not followers, would have a reason to become followers, through our showing of compassion and respect and forgiveness, (love for our enemy) is how I look at it, if we follow HIM well....others will come to Him, and this is our earthly task....

jd

ps. sorry about this getting a little off topic! :(

actsnoblemartin
08-22-2007, 03:10 AM
im civil for the most part, but when i see assholes like oca, I just wanna punch him in the mouth, he is a bully and a coward.

No good trailor trash, brain dead hick, cum swallowing, basterd

JohnDoe
08-22-2007, 03:30 AM
im civil for the most part, but when i see assholes like oca, I just wanna punch him in the mouth, he is a bully and a coward.

Oh my goodness Martin!!!

Even if OCA is what you have said, it is impolite to say such!!!

I despise the way he has been bitching like a baby about Nevada, and at first, i chuckled at your response back to his rant, where you said ...what was on your mind with no holds barred, to say the least! But, now, i think maybe you should turn the cheek....THAT might get to him, more than your rants? if not, you still win, for being the gentleman! ;) jd

jimnyc
08-22-2007, 03:35 AM

This is the "lounge", not the steel cage. I'd ban you again if I just didn't ban you already. I suggest you cease with this type of filth when you return if you expect to remain a member here.