PDA

View Full Version : Pompeo: Kim Jong Un told 'me personally he is prepared to denuclearize'

jimnyc
06-07-2018, 04:25 PM
Excellent news if Pompeo has this lined up and things start off on the right foot.

---

Pompeo: Kim Jong Un told 'me personally he is prepared to denuclearize'

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo confirmed North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s commitment to denuclearization Thursday.

Kim “indicated to me personally that he is prepared to denuclearize,” Pompeo told reporters at the White House Thursday afternoon, stressing that Kim is ready to do something “big and bold.”

President Donald Trump will meet the North Korean leader in Singapore on Tuesday.

“I really think there’s a potential to make a deal,” the president said about an hour before Pompeo’s meeting with reporters. Kim and Trump are expected to discuss denuclearization, as well as a possible end to the Korean War and maybe even the eventual normalization of diplomatic relations between North Korea and the United States.

While the president is optimistic, he emphasized that he remains prepared to walk away.

“President Trump is hopeful, but he is also going into the summit with his eyes wide open,” Pompeo explained. “You can be sure that President Trump will not stand for a bad deal.”

He said the Trump administration is pursuing a solid agreement that ensures complete, verifiable and irreversible denuclearization and cannot be undone by any future administration. The Obama administration “signed a flimsy piece of paper. We’re hoping to submit a document that Congress would also have a say in,” he told reporters.

Rest - http://dailycaller.com/2018/06/07/kim-jong-un-told-pompeo-he-is-ready-to-denuclearize/

pete311
06-07-2018, 08:21 PM
As a side note it could take NK 15 years to denuclearize. How do we verify without having inspectors all over the country. Would they allow that?
http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-nuclear-program-would-take-15-years-to-dismantle-2018-5

Gunny
06-07-2018, 09:02 PM
As a side note it could take NK 15 years to denuclearize. How do we verify without having inspectors all over the country. Would they allow that?
http://www.businessinsider.com/north-korea-nuclear-program-would-take-15-years-to-dismantle-2018-5

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?63014-Why-North-Korea-is-destroying-its-nuclear-test-site

pete311
06-07-2018, 09:33 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?63014-Why-North-Korea-is-destroying-its-nuclear-test-site

One test site isn't everything. Read my link.

Gunny
06-07-2018, 09:44 PM
One test site isn't everything. Read my link.Read the entire article. It isn't about one test site. It goes in depth into what verification and inspection would entail.

Personally? I would balk. You're telling some jackasses they can come into your country and tell you what to do? What's the point of having a sovereign nation? I am definitely on our side BUT ...

I'd call Trump's bluff if I was Un. What's he going to do? Nuke NK? Invade? That would DEFINITELY turn what's left of the World that isn't already against us, against it.

On the other hand, Un really has nothing to lose and everything to gain. Lifted sanctions and STILL under the protective umbrella of China. Un disarms while China has been militarizing for quite awhile.

aboutime
06-07-2018, 09:45 PM
He's not in any position to take part in the talks with Un. Like all the other Trump haters, with Trump Derangement Syndrome. Petey actually is convinced that the president doesn't know anything about foreign relations, or negotiations.

Truth is. petey and the other liberal mad-at-everything dummies should be OH SO HAPPY that Hillary didn't win. You should take the time to check and see how Hillary, and Obama treated the NK Threats...and what they wanted to do. Then, come back here..Thankful as all GET-OUT for allowing their hatred to subside.

The Obama administration has announced a new nuclear agreement with North Korea under its new supreme leader, Kim Jong-un. The administration says that North Korea has agreed to a moratorium on nuclear-weapons and missile-delivery activities at Yongbyon, one of North Korea’s known nuclear-weapons-related facilities, in exchange for the U.S. agreeing to provide food aid. The announced bargain is worse than bad.
https://www.hudson.org/research/8765-obama-s-victory-with-north-korea

And Hillary:Hillary Clinton would be diplomatic.

North Korea is the Kim family business. They have been extorting money from the US for three generations. Every administration, they wait for a politically sensitive time, then make an embarrassing ruckus. Citizens get scared. The press criticizes the President. Important issues get pushed to the back burner. With the President’s blessing, the State Department arranges an “aid” package to hush Kim up. It works until the next administration comes along.

Nuclear weapons must seem like the ultimate tool to razz us. Kim’s current threats and blather are part of the plan. I recently saw a Quora post suggesting that the US just buy their nuclear weapons. Perfect. That should tide them over for 4-8 years.
https://www.quora.com/How-will-Hillary-Clinton-handle-the-threat-from-North-Korea

Gunny
06-07-2018, 09:54 PM
He's not in any position to take part in the talks with Un. Like all the other Trump haters, with Trump Derangement Syndrome. Petey actually is convinced that the president doesn't know anything about foreign relations, or negotiations.

Truth is. petey and the other liberal mad-at-everything dummies should be OH SO HAPPY that Hillary didn't win. You should take the time to check and see how Hillary, and Obama treated the NK Threats...and what they wanted to do. Then, come back here..Thankful as all GET-OUT for allowing their hatred to subside.I don't hate Trump. He sucks at foreign relations.

Trump Derangement Syndrome swings BOTH ways. When people here the name Trump and their brains cease functioning above the caveman level, I'd call that deranged.

I'm all for it working. Not much else to do at this point. Matter of fact we should all PRAY it works. He's gambling with a LOT of lives that aren't his.

NightTrain
06-07-2018, 09:55 PM
NK is hurting very badly with the ramped up sanctions, and he's desperate for money.

Plus, I believe he's terrified of Trump and doesn't want to be the latest Saddam or Khadaffi being dragged through the streets by enraged peasants, which would almost certainly happen if a full-scale conflict erupted - all those peasants need is a glimmer of hope and the pitchforks & axes come out.

That said, I'm still very pessimistic about Kim Jong Un's honesty. The successful track record from his dad and grandpa playing games in decades past getting billions for lip service has to be considered.

Gunny
06-07-2018, 10:12 PM
NK is hurting very badly with the ramped up sanctions, and he's desperate for money.

Plus, I believe he's terrified of Trump and doesn't want to be the latest Saddam or Khadaffi being dragged through the streets by enraged peasants, which would almost certainly happen if a full-scale conflict erupted - all those peasants need is a glimmer of hope and the pitchforks & axes come out.

That said, I'm still very pessimistic about Kim Jong Un's honesty. The successful track record from his dad and grandpa playing games in decades past getting billions for lip service has to be considered.I doubt he's being honest. I'd almost be willing to bet money he's got some assurances from China if he just goes along to get along.

As I said, China's militarizing. They're extending out into the Pacific with man-made weapons installations and they have an aircraft carrier from Hell in the works. The Chinese are very patient. They don't have to win today. They aren't ready to take us on so they're buying time through Un. The stupid ragheads are the same way. We think in terms of now. They think in terms of no matter how long it takes.

For whatever reason, Trump needs to get the little psycho out of the way. Big picture wise he's just a freakin mosquito but he's costing us time and attention better spent elsewhere.