PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Anthony Bourdain - Dead from Suicide

darin
06-08-2018, 07:12 AM
God be with his family and loved-ones.

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/06/08/us/anthony-bourdain-obit/index.html

New York (CNN)Anthony Bourdain, a gifted storyteller and writer who took CNN viewers around the world, has died. He was 61.

CNN confirmed Bourdain's death on Friday and said the cause of death was suicide.
"It is with extraordinary sadness we can confirm the death of our friend and colleague, Anthony Bourdain," the network said in a statement Friday morning. "His love of great adventure, new friends, fine food and drink and the remarkable stories of the world made him a unique storyteller. His talents never ceased to amaze us and we will miss him very much. Our thoughts and prayers are with his daughter and family at this incredibly difficult time."
Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning.

pete311
06-08-2018, 07:25 AM
Loved his show the first few years. Seemed like a really cool guy. Sad to learn he was in such pain. Depression is a serious disease.

darin
06-08-2018, 07:28 AM
Breaks my heart to think of the struggles he faced. You said it well, Pete.

Gunny
06-08-2018, 08:16 AM
What always strikes me odd about stories like this is we sit on the outside looking in thinking "Man, this dude has everything and has got it made" while in their minds they have nothing.

pete311
06-08-2018, 08:21 AM
What always strikes me odd about stories like this is we sit on the outside looking in thinking "Man, this dude has everything and has got it made" while in their minds they have nothing.

Shows the true evil of the disease. Depression is not just feeling down for awhile. Here we have a tough as nails new yorker who rose to celebrity chef fame and fortune working his ass off beginning as a dish washer. He's seen every corner of the earth. Listening to his show and reading is books you can tell he is a true creative and poet. His mind ended up betraying him. RIP.

darin
06-08-2018, 08:34 AM

Yeah I get that - it's humbling. BUT I am just like you all. I put my pants on two legs at a time like anyone else.

Abbey Marie
06-08-2018, 10:50 AM
Celebrity suicides don’t surprise me. It is exactly when we have everything we strive for and think will make us happy, that we sit back and go, “Now what? Add a tendency toward depression to that, and tragedy often occurs. Alcoholism, drug use, suicide.

And when someone is put on a pedestal due to their celebrity, but they know the real, maybe not-so-great “themselves”, it must feel depressing deep down.

As you’ve said, Mr. Bourdain saw the world and did an incredible amount of stuff. In the end, after we’ve fulfilled our dreams, there is still a God-sized hole in our hearts that needs to be filled.

I am also a solid believer that we humans have the innate need to worship someone or something. We get extra-royally messed-up when we worship anyone or anything other than God.

RIP.

SassyLady
06-08-2018, 08:18 PM
When you've achieved everything that should make you happy and you're still depressed because of genetics or chronic conditions you wonder if you'll ever be really happy and then one day just say screw it. Nothing will make me happy so why am I even trying.

Been there, done that.

Sad to see so many leaving this way ... suicide is now 10th leading cause of death.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-08-2018, 10:04 PM
Sad news, I really liked the guy. As a person that once in my youth (over 40 years ago, divorce from my first wife),actually considered and came close to doing just that, I feel for those that are so lost that they end up doing so.-Tyr