PDA

View Full Version : I told Gunny not to screw around with snakes.

Black Diamond
06-09-2018, 09:23 PM
but he wouldn't listen.

http://news4sanantonio.com/news/local/decapitated-rattlesnake-bites-man

SassyLady
06-10-2018, 12:45 AM
but he wouldn't listen.

Killed 3 rattlesnakes in one week that were in my front porch patio area last year. Catch them, put in 5 gallon paint bucket and shoot with snakeshot. Then chop head off with shovel and bury it. Leave the carcass for the coyotes and roadrunners.

Kathianne
06-10-2018, 05:44 AM
Killed 3 rattlesnakes in one week that were in my front porch patio area last year. Catch them, put in 5 gallon paint bucket and shoot with snakeshot. Then chop head off with shovel and bury it. Leave the carcass for the coyotes and roadrunners.

I'm with her, she's my friend!

Gunny
06-10-2018, 10:42 AM
but he wouldn't listen.

Snakes don't come around me, or they get

THIS.

Black Diamond
06-10-2018, 10:59 AM

Holy.

:laugh:

Black Diamond
06-10-2018, 11:00 AM
26 doses of anti venom...

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-10-2018, 11:07 AM
You guys got it all wrong about gunny. He would bite that snakes head off , spit it into a cup of whiskey, skin and then cook the meat, eat it and wash it down with the cup of snake venom flavored whiskey!
Why? Because that is what a Marine would do....they dont play around, they get the job down ... :salute:--Tyr

Black Diamond
06-10-2018, 11:09 AM
You guys got it all wrong about gunny. He would bite that snakes head off , spit it in a cup of whiskey, skin and then cook the meat, eat it and was it down with the cup of snake venom flavored whiskey!
Why? Because that is what a Marine would do....they dont play around, they get the job down ... :salute:--Tyr
I know. But The story is in San Antonio. I couldn't resist.

Gunny
06-10-2018, 12:20 PM
I just read where "Mr Expert" works. The Snake Farm. Right up the road on I-35 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89VR_lZehw4

SassyLady
06-10-2018, 11:45 PM
You guys got it all wrong about gunny. He would bite that snakes head off , spit it into a cup of whiskey, skin and then cook the meat, eat it and wash it down with the cup of snake venom flavored whiskey!

Move over Gunny ...

Tyr, I'm not a Marine, however, was married to a CSM once upon a time. I was actually a badass before I married him.

Here's the carcass of a snake I skinned. Didn't bite the head off, I don't spit, cured the skin, gave carcass to the wildlife and had a few shots of Tequilla after.

Being military wife we have to be badass, especially when our spouses are deployed. Can't scream "kill the spider, snake, etc.".

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11497&stc=1

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-11-2018, 09:51 AM
Move over Gunny ...

Tyr, I'm not a Marine, however, was married to a CSM once upon a time. I was actually a badass before I married him.

Here's the carcass of a snake I skinned. Didn't bite the head off, I don't spit, cured the skin, gave carcass to the wildlife and had a few shots of Tequilla after.

Being military wife we have to be badass, especially when our spouses are deployed. Can't scream "kill the spider, snake, etc.".

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11497&stc=1

My friend, I believe you may have the heart and soul of a frontiers woman. They too were brave , hardy and wise-- they had to be to survive and birth and raise a huge passal of kids, while doing all that hard manual labor.
Such was my own great grandmother, but she was Native American.
This nation was as much founded by the wives of the frontiersmen as it was by their husbands, perhaps even more so, IMHO.-Tyr

Abbey Marie
06-11-2018, 10:47 AM
I’ve said here that when survival becomes a real issue, I’m going to stay with Rick. Now I’m bringing Sassy with me, too.

:cool:

Kathianne
06-11-2018, 10:55 AM
I’ve said here that when survival becomes a real issue, I’m going to stay with Rick. Now I’m bringing Sassy with me, too.

:cool:

I've already said, "She's my friend, I'm with her!" LOL!

Gunny
06-11-2018, 01:26 PM
Move over Gunny ...

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11497&stc=1I think Tyr was embellishing just a "tad" :laugh: I kill them, cut their heads off and bury them just out of common courtesy for people that fit the bill of the subject of this thread. Outside town, the body gets left for the birds. Inside town it goes in the trash. I ain't eating one them damned things unless I'm in survival mode.

I suspected you were a redneck long ago. You confirmed it when you told you me you were from that two-by-twice cow town up on the Plains. My first wife was a Marine when the kids were little and I'd go off galavanting around the world. The second knew NOTHING about deployment and she'd e-mail every time the faucet sprung a leak like I was going to just swim home immediately and fix it. She'd never had to do anything on her own. I'm just glad my daughter was a teenager by then. I should have left HER in charge :laugh:

I remember when my dad would be gone (deployed). My mom wasn't the drama queen type so there was no real impact on day-to-day.

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 04:01 PM
I suspected you were a redneck long ago. You confirmed it when you told you me you were from that two-by-twice cow town up on the Plains.

Actually, never lived in the city (just where closest hospital was when I was born). Lived in Hereford couple years and then on a cow farm with grandparents (snakes everywhere) about 45 min from Clayton until 8. Then to California until 2015.

However, we were always poor enough to know how to survive.

Gunny
06-11-2018, 04:27 PM
Something you reminded me of SassyLady

Being a military dependent was not like being the sponsor; however, it WAS its own little world. The best portrayal of it I've ever seen in a movie was in "Once We Were Soldiers" with Col Moore's wife and the other officers' wives. As a dependent child, you have a certain viewpoint growing up in it. For better or worse, the wives wore hubby's rank and was expected to act accordingly in what I referred to as the "biddy committee". And yes, it had it's ugly head at times, but for the most part was extremely important to military families.

I was an awesome baseball player. My mom taught me because my dad was gone. The coach of my first Little League team was Capt Demijohn's wife. All three of her boys played. Their dad flew F-100s in Operation Rolling Thunder in Nam, She coached. Mom kept score.

When we played outside (on base which meant ON BASE not glued to the porch), ALL the mom's could see your little butts and what you were up to and one wouldn't hesitate to square your little butt away, yours or not. We had people move into our little overstuffed already house/apt in housing and stay until they found a place or PCSd out. I thought we were running a hotel in Key West in 67-68 :laugh:

Our moms were our Cub Scout leaders. They taught us how to fish. We were some SERIOUS little kids and had responsibilities college kids cry about nowadays, but we always had mom. Never occurred to us she didn't have sh*t. And our mom's weren't like these welfare rats of today. Somebody had to be going hungry before they'd ask anyone for anything. But nobody went hungry. You'd have thought we lived at Goodwill watching hand-me-downs make the housing loop :laugh: A novel concept, I know, but everybody was in the same boat and just helped one another.

The REAL problem was whenever Dads would come home and disrupt every-damned thing, expecting everything to be the same as the day he left. THIS I experienced from both ends: The day you get back is the day after you left in YOUR mind. The rest of the world has been moving right along for 6 mos - 1 year without you while you lived that one, LONG day in the middle. They didn't always come back "all right" either.

We would have flat eaten up these millenials. They wouldn't have stood a chance. Sh*t, our girls were tougher than these guys nowadays.

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Something you reminded me of @SassyLady (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=83)

The REAL problem was whenever Dads would come home and disrupt every-damned thing, expecting everything to be the same as the day he left. THIS I experienced from both ends: The day you get back is the day after you left in YOUR mind. The rest of the world has been moving right along for 6 mos - 1 year without you while you lived that one, LONG day in the middle. They didn't always come back "all right" either.

We would have flat eaten up these millenials. They wouldn't have stood a chance. Sh*t, our girls were tougher than these guys nowadays.

Reintegration was the hardest part of being military wife.

Abbey Marie
06-11-2018, 06:09 PM
Actually, never lived in the city (just where closest hospital was when I was born). Lived in Hereford couple years and then on a cow farm with grandparents (snakes everywhere) about 45 min from Clayton until 8. Then to California until 2015.

However, we were always poor enough to know how to survive.

Do you ever miss that beautiful California property you had?

gabosaurus
06-11-2018, 06:17 PM
You have to watch for those beer-stealing snakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdEEpialxqk

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Do you ever miss that beautiful California property you had?

Yep!

I surely don't miss the politics. I had my own well and that's why my place was beautiful. Now they are putting meters on private wells and regulating usage.

Abbey Marie
06-11-2018, 06:25 PM
Yep!

I surely don't miss the politics. I had my own well and that's why my place was beautiful. Now they are putting meters on private wells and regulating usage.

Well = beautiful trees? I seem to recall you had fruit trees, etc.?

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 06:32 PM
Well = beautiful trees? I seem to recall you had fruit trees, etc.?

Black and English walnut trees, plum and persimmon. Lots of redwoods, oaks and camphor.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11499&stc=1

Tallest tree in this photo is black walnut. I had hammock string between that one and one behind it. Really miss my trees.

Oh, and no poisonous snakes or scorpions. I could walk anywhere on my 2 acres barefoot (except driveway ... gravel).

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 06:34 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11500&stc=1

Black walnut in winter. The tire swing was for our dogs to play tug-o-war.

Abbey Marie
06-11-2018, 06:34 PM
It looks dreamy!

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 06:40 PM
It looks dreamy!

I don't have many pics on my tablet. Better ones on computer. I'll share sometime.

Here's what my house looks like here in AZ.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11501&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11502&stc=1

Kathianne
06-11-2018, 07:56 PM
I don't have many pics on my tablet. Better ones on computer. I'll share sometime.

Here's what my house looks like here in AZ.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11501&stc=1

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11502&stc=1

Beautiful home and wonderful hostess! One of my best weekends since being in AZ.

Gunny
06-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Reintegration was the hardest part of being military wife.Very much so. It was hard as a kid because my dad treated us like recruits and my mom treated us like kids. We still had to mind my mother, but i don't recall that being an issue at all until we were older teens and my dad was long out of the picture anyway. Kids just did what they were told to then.

As a Marine, coming home was great, and it was Hell. Especially when I came back from the First Gulf War. I slept in the living room with the sliding glass door open and a loaded '45 in my hand for months. Even on a good day, you come home after months of being alone (aside from the 2000 Marines and Sailors you hate after 6 months trapped with them) and if you left Dec 4th, it's Dec 5th to you. May to everyone else. You had all these dad duties and husband duties and whatever couldn't be handled while you were gone all hit you at once and "F- Off" might work on the ship but it doesn't set too well at home. :) I've been threatened with a skillet more than once :laugh: Momma ain't used to being questioned either :)

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 09:40 PM
Husband called home to check on us and his teenage son complained about something he and i were fighting about and after a few minutes started crying because his dad said "don't make me come through this phone line to set you straight!"

Every now and then backup is needed and welcomed.

Gunny
06-11-2018, 10:01 PM
Husband called home to check on us and his teenage son complained about something he and i were fighting about and after a few minutes started crying because his dad said "don't make me come through this phone line to set you straight!"

Every now and then backup is needed and welcomed.We just never had that problem. I'm talking 60's - mid-70s. We were taught to respect our parents and ALL adults and so much as back-talking wasn't allowed and a immediately punishable offense. The mere idea of defying our parents was an unheard of concept.

We had phones on the ships but too many lovesick puppies to stand in line behind. Last deployment we had e-mail. We didn't have cells. The ones they had back then would have cost a fortune if you could manage to get a sat connection.

Momma was on her own. If we were just in the field here or somewhere stateside it was a bit different. We could usually manage a phone call if one was needed.

LOL. When I was a kid our phone hung on the kitchen wall. There wasn't going to be any call.

SassyLady
06-11-2018, 10:04 PM
We just never had that problem. I'm talking 60's - mid-70s. We were taught to respect our parents and ALL adults and so much as back-talking wasn't allowed and a immediately punishable offense. The mere idea of defying our parents was an unheard of concept.

We had phones on the ships but too many lovesick puppies to stand in line behind. Last deployment we had e-mail. We didn't have cells. The ones they had back then would have cost a fortune if you could manage to get a sat connection.

Momma was on her own. If we were just in the field here or somewhere stateside it was a bit different. We could usually manage a phone call if one was needed.

LOL. When I was a kid our phone hung on the kitchen wall. There wasn't going to be any call.

We didn't have phone in our farmhouse until 1967 and it was a party line.

Gunny
06-12-2018, 09:43 AM
We didn't have phone in our farmhouse until 1967 and it was a party line.I don't know how we made it through childhood without a cell glued to the palms of our hands. I STILL use a phone exactly the way I did in the 60s-70s. Get in touch with someone for a specific reason. Otherwise, I have a REALLY expensive paperweight. :)