PDA

View Full Version : Video : Close Call With An Eagle In The Helicopter Yesterday

NightTrain
06-10-2018, 03:06 PM
We took off from Kodiak yesterday, and I was getting some footage of the immediate area just for the hell of it, mainly testing the camera on my new S9.

Suddenly the helo breaks hard right, and I happened to capture the eagle just outside of the main rotor area - hitting that big 40# turkey probably would have made for a rather abrupt and hard landing... it was a close shave.

If you pause the video at 1:06, you can go frame-by-frame and see the eagle as both of us desperately maneuver to get clear of each other. I suspect it was hunting and had some tunnel vision going to get that close to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAryTEM7SVg

Elessar
06-10-2018, 05:38 PM
Bird strikes are a scary encounter.

Several of our CG helos have had them with either seagulls or geese.

The force of them is so great that it can crack the front windscreen.

Any bird strike calls for an immediate grounding at the nearest safe point of land.

darin
06-11-2018, 08:41 AM
Damn. Good piloting. Glad you're okay. NT.

Abbey Marie
06-11-2018, 10:43 AM
I almost hit a squirrel with my Hyundai sedan. :laugh2:

Not even ~ Rick life!

Super glad you are ok!

NT'sGirl
07-10-2018, 01:38 PM
With the sudden increase of near death experiences for my hubby I think its time I took out a bigger policy...

High_Plains_Drifter
07-10-2018, 01:45 PM
Hmmm... very cool video, but I'm missing the eagle... :dunno:

Kathianne
07-10-2018, 03:26 PM
With the sudden increase of near death experiences for my hubby I think its time I took out a bigger policy...

Well hopefully he's going to mind those who think a bit down the road. ;) Just glad he seems to be taking some time to heal.

Abbey Marie
07-10-2018, 05:20 PM

:coffee: He needs to stay home for a while. Oh wait, isn’t he already at the cabin?