PDA

View Full Version : Trump's unlikely allies on North Korea talks — progressive Democrats

jimnyc
06-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Whouda thunk it? :laugh:

---

Trump's unlikely allies on North Korea talks — progressive Democrats

WASHINGTON - President Donald Trump has found an unlikely source of support as he meets with North Korea leader Kim Jong-un: Democrats.

Some of the same far-left Democrats who complain that he stole the election and want to impeach him praise him for trying to engage in diplomacy.

"We are encouraged by your efforts to pursue direct diplomacy with North Korea with the dual goals of resolving the nearly seven-decade-long conflict and achieving the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula," 15 House members wrote in a letter to Trump on Monday. "Diplomacy is the only path to resolve the tensions between our countries."

Yet the Democrats may just be helping Trump.

The White House has repeatedly boasted that Trump, the businessman-turned-politician, is perhaps the only person who could strike a deal with Kim, the reclusive dictator. Trump has already started campaigning on the issues as he hits the road for the midterm elections and relishes talk of a possible Nobel Peace Prize if the talks yield a significant lasting deal.

"These members are willing to put what's best for the country, and in this case the world, ahead of the day-to-day politics of it," said Eddie Vale, a veteran of Democratic and progressive political and legislative campaigns. "But just because someone is giving Trump a chance on diplomacy doesn't mean they won't criticize him if he fails on one of the myriad other issues like immigration, health care, or taxes that he's hurting their constituents on and that's what the elections will be decided on."

The letter was signed by the two co-chairs of the House's Progressive Caucus — Reps. Raul Grijalva, D-Ariz., and Mark Pocan, D-Wisc., — and include members from California, Washington, Hawaii and Guam.

Rest - http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/white-house/article212960759.html

Gunny
06-12-2018, 04:10 PM
Why? Do they want to move there? Godspeed :)

High_Plains_Drifter
06-12-2018, 06:08 PM
Wonder how the democrat propaganda wing is going to spin that.

Gunny
06-12-2018, 07:07 PM
Wonder how the democrat propaganda wing is going to spin that.I just look at it as you have to give him credit where it is due. He had as good a chance at failure as he did success using the tactics he did. He actually had a better chance at failure.

The stars lined up right and he got away with it. If it gets Un out of our hair and on the back burner, THAT ALONE is an accomplishment, and IMO, he got away with one. Cool. Time to move forward.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-12-2018, 07:11 PM
I just look at it as you have to give him credit where it is due. He had as good a chance at failure as he did success using the tactics he did. He actually had a better chance at failure.

The stars lined up right and he got away with it. If it gets Un out of our hair and on the back burner, THAT ALONE is an accomplishment, and IMO, he got away with one. Cool. Time to move forward.
So... he watched prior presidents kiss NOKO ass and that didn't work, so he used a different tactic and it worked. I'd call that smart and calculated... not "getting away with one."

Gunny
06-12-2018, 09:34 PM
So... he watched prior presidents kiss NOKO ass and that didn't work, so he used a different tactic and it worked. I'd call that smart and calculated... not "getting away with one."Smart and calculated. Like a roulette wheel. I gave credit where it was due. I'm NOT giving it where it ain't.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-12-2018, 09:47 PM
Smart and calculated. Like a roulette wheel. I gave credit where it was due. I'm NOT giving it where it ain't.
Well, we surely can't agree on everything.

Gunny
06-12-2018, 10:01 PM
Well, we surely can't agree on everything.Had I been Un? I'd have told Trump to go pound sand. Go ahead and unilaterally invade my sovereign nation because I won't do shit his way. We'll see where you stand in the world when all is said and done.

Meaning, if Un had called Trump's bluff, there's not a damned thing he could do unless he wanted to unilaterally attack a sovereign nation which would be political suicide and most likely provoke China.

He got lucky. Good on him. Luck is great as long it's in my favor. I am not going to agree with Trump's tactics because he risked the lives of a lot of people needlessly when there was a easier way to go about it.

Now let's see if he can capitalize on it. I sincerely hope so. It's in everyone's, even Un's, best interest that they reach an agreement. This is all about Un geting new stuff anyway. He must have run out of the crap Clinton gave him, then the agreement expired. One thing Trump Did point out is an agreement with no expiration date.

So. We'll see.

Black Diamond
06-13-2018, 09:20 AM
I just look at it as you have to give him credit where it is due. He had as good a chance at failure as he did success using the tactics he did. He actually had a better chance at failure.

The Stars have lined up right his whole life.

Gunny
06-13-2018, 09:46 AM
The Stars have lined up right his whole life.Except for his bankruptcies and divorce. And his personality.

I'm not going to sit here and get into a pissing contest with the Trump fans. I give him credit where it's due each and every time. But he's not pulling any wool over MY eyes. It is in the Nation's and my best interest he succeeds so I hope he does.

At the same time, that isn't good enough for some. Some demand you like him too as much as they do. Ain't happening. Nobody tells me what to think. I've told a MajGen he was wrong and he DID have the power to f*ck me. If not seeing stars in my eyes every time I hear his name is a dealbreaker, I got 2 ex wives and plenty of ex GFs that thought they were going to tell me what to think and how to act.

I don't attack anyone for liking the guy. To each his own. When it clouds one's judgement, it can be a problem.

Yes, despite defying all rules of diplomacy, tactics and strategy, he got this to work so far. Buster Douglas Was World Champion once too. Until his next fight. If he can get this little pissant distraction out of the way and focus on something important, power to him. He got my vote.

I STILL think he's a complete jerk :)

Black Diamond
06-13-2018, 10:23 AM
Except for his bankruptcies and divorce. And his personality.

I'm not going to sit here and get into a pissing contest with the Trump fans. I give him credit where it's due each and every time. But he's not pulling any wool over MY eyes. It is in the Nation's and my best interest he succeeds so I hope he does.

At the same time, that isn't good enough for some. Some demand you like him too as much as they do. Ain't happening. Nobody tells me what to think. I've told a MajGen he was wrong and he DID have the power to f*ck me. If not seeing stars in my eyes every time I hear his name is a dealbreaker, I got 2 ex wives and plenty of ex GFs that thought they were going to tell me what to think and how to act.

I don't attack anyone for liking the guy. To each his own. When it clouds one's judgement, it can be a problem.

Yes, despite defying all rules of diplomacy, tactics and strategy, he got this to work so far. Buster Douglas Was World Champion once too. Until his next fight. If he can get this little pissant distraction out of the way and focus on something important, power to him. He got my vote.

I STILL think he's a complete jerk :)
I am not looking for a pissing contest with you. I enjoy the challenge. We Finally found something to disagree about.

Gunny
06-13-2018, 10:38 AM
I am not looking for a pissing contest with you. I enjoy the challenge. We Finally found something to disagree about.Ha! Got to that woman's powerlifiting thread. I already picked out YOUR date. THAT'LL give you something to disagree about :laugh2: