PDA

View Full Version : Question for Gunny

Elessar
06-13-2018, 12:10 PM
Or any other member that was stationed overseas for any length of time.

When our forces are based within a foreign country, does the USA pay to rent or lease the
land where they are located from that country?

This does not mean just SoKo. It also means our world-wide bases. I can understand it might
boil down to a treaty or MOU with each individual country, though.

I can understand paying for utilities - electric, gas, water, sewer, etc - unless those are
"State Owned", then it falls back to the question.

I asked because upon his return flight, Pres. Trump said one ultimate goal with this Korea issue
would be to bring our 30,000 people back home.

If we are paying anything to be there, returning would save the DOD or State Dept millions of bucks!

Gunny
06-13-2018, 12:17 PM
Or any other member that was stationed overseas for any length of time.

When our forces are based within a foreign country, does the USA pay to rent or lease the
land where they are located from that country?

This does not mean just SoKo. It also means our world-wide bases. I can understand it might
boil down to a treaty or MOU with each individual country, though.

I can understand paying for utilities - electric, gas, water, sewer, etc - unless those are
"State Owned", then it falls back to the question.

I asked because upon his return flight, Pres. Trump said one ultimate goal with this Korea issue
would be to bring our 30,000 people back home.

If we are paying anything to be there, returning would save the DOD or State Dept millions of bucks!It would also put a lot of people on unemployment. When they close bases, they draw down active duty strength proportionally.

Not going to do much for the South Korean economy either (like I care).

I don't know the answer for sure. I think we do pay nations for "hosting" our military personnel. We have Status of Forces Agreements with most of the World I think. The ones we don't, we don't go to.

Elessar
06-13-2018, 12:23 PM
It would also put a lot of people on unemployment. When they close bases, they draw down active duty strength proportionally.

Not going to do much for the South Korean economy either (like I care).

I don't know the answer for sure. I think we do pay nations for "hosting" our military personnel. We have Status of Forces Agreements with most of the World I think. The ones we don't, we don't go to.

Thanks!

I had forgotten about the SOF Agreements. I guess it would depend on what is
included within one, as I imagine they are not all written the same.

Interesting quandary, I think based on your comments, though.

Gunny
06-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Thanks!

I had forgotten about the SOF Agreements. I guess it would depend on what is
included within one, as I imagine they are not all written the same.

Interesting quandary, I think based on your comments, though.Solution: Put them on the US border.

aboutime
06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
How much do other nations charge to allow the US to build military bases on its land?

https://www.quora.com/How-much-do-other-nations-charge-to-allow-the-US-to-build-military-bases-on-its-land