PDA

View Full Version : Well, Here's Another Issue ....

Elessar
06-14-2018, 12:32 PM
...that will spark a lot of discussion and disagreement.

Pres. Trump returns salute of NoKo General:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/06/14/president-donald-trump-sparks-controversy-with-salute-of-north-korean-general/23459207/

Harmless, I say. The General was showing respect and it would be arrogant to not return that.

jimnyc
06-14-2018, 12:37 PM
...that will spark a lot of discussion and disagreement.

Pres. Trump returns salute of NoKo General:

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2018/06/14/president-donald-trump-sparks-controversy-with-salute-of-north-korean-general/23459207/

Harmless, I say. The General was showing respect and it would be arrogant to not return that.

I had mentioned similarly in another thread yesterday, about him talking so nicely right now of a scumbag as well. You can't very well step on them and expect too awfully much. I have no issue with your typical treatment of another leader, even if Kim is a scumbag, as that's what it takes sometimes.

The man saluted Trump first as a sign of respect. There is nothing wrong with being respectful in return. Unless it's Trump and you perhaps have TDS.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-14-2018, 12:39 PM
We were told in the military to show respect for officers of other nations and to salute them, and I have no problem with president Trump saluting a NOKO general. The only thing is I hope the NOKO general initiated the salute, then there's nothing wrong with it at all. If president Trump initiated the salute, I'd call that a little off, but then Trump isn't military, he isn't a veteran, he only knows what he's been told about saluting, and maybe he isn't 100% clear on it's protocol.

In any case, I'm sure he was just trying to be respectful. At least he didn't BOW to him.

Black Diamond
06-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Saluting =/= bowing

jimnyc
06-14-2018, 02:02 PM
CNN reports on it and of course only shows the picture of Trump's salute. I'm surprised that they at least acknowledge that the general saluted first. But that's because it was all on video, so they can only take it so far. Misleading fake journalists.

And it's an "extraordinary display". :rolleyes:

As the article does state though, mutual respect, and it should have ended there.

---

Trump returns salute of North Korean general at summit, state media footage reveals

Washington (CNN)Newly released video footage from North Korean state media shows President Donald Trump returning a salute to a North Korean military general during this week's summit in Singapore, an extraordinary display of respect from a US president to a top officer of a hostile regime.

In the military, returning a salute from a military officer of a friendly foreign nation is common practice for US military officers and considered a display of military professionalism. There is no rule that a US president is obliged to return a salute, which is considered a sign of mutual respect.

After Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un walked down a colonnade to shake hands, the pair entered into a room filled with various members of Kim's delegation, the video from North Korean broadcaster KCTV news shows.

Trump starts to shake hands with those in the room. Upon encountering North Korean Gen. No Kwang Chol, who was in full uniform, Trump first extends his hand, to which the general responds with a salute. Trump then salutes back, extends his hand again and the two men shake hands.

Rest - https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/politics/trump-north-korea-salute/index.html

Elessar
06-14-2018, 04:57 PM
Saluting =/= bowing

I do not think so, to be honest.

Bowing is more of a gesture of prostrating yourself to someone.
As a president, a nod of the head would be enough to acknowledge a bow.

RETURNING a salute, however, you are still looking the initiator in the eye.

Gunny
06-14-2018, 05:37 PM
Saluting =/= bowingYou salute the rank, not the man. Returning a salute is acknowledgement of being saluted first by a subordinate. That is NOT bowing. To not acknowledge the salute of a subordinate is disrespect.

The issue I have with the President saluting PERIOD is, I believe Ronald Reagan started the trend by returning the salutes of the Marines on Marine One. Personnel not in uniform are not supposed to salute. I've saluted plenty of officers not in uniform and the usual acknowledgement is a nod, smile, "thank you", etc.

I would have been hard-pressed to salute Obama. Again, you salute the rank, not the man (or in Obama's case lack thereof).

Trump returning the salute (minus the above argument against saluting out of uniform) is proper protocol. The officer was probably instructed to salute Trump to see what kind of reaction he was going to get. To NOT return the salute would have been disrespecting a high-ranking officer in the N Korean military. Why give them an excuse?

Elessar
06-14-2018, 05:55 PM
You salute the rank, not the man. Returning a salute is acknowledgement of being saluted first by a subordinate. That is NOT bowing. To not acknowledge the salute of a subordinate is disrespect.

Trump returning the salute (minus the above argument against saluting out of uniform) is proper protocol. The officer was probably instructed to salute Trump to see what kind of reaction he was going to get. To NOT return the salute would have been disrespecting a high-ranking officer in the N Korean military. Why give them an excuse?

BOLD PART: Nailed it!

Black Diamond
06-14-2018, 05:59 PM
I do not think so, to be honest.

Bowing is more of a gesture of prostrating yourself to someone.
As a president, a nod of the head would be enough to acknowledge a bow.

RETURNING a salute, however, you are still looking the initiator in the eye.

You salute the rank, not the man. Returning a salute is acknowledgement of being saluted first by a subordinate. That is NOT bowing. To not acknowledge the salute of a subordinate is disrespect.

The issue I have with the President saluting PERIOD is, I believe Ronald Reagan started the trend by returning the salutes of the Marines on Marine One. Personnel not in uniform are not supposed to salute. I've saluted plenty of officers not in uniform and the usual acknowledgement is a nod, smile, "thank you", etc.

I would have been hard-pressed to salute Obama. Again, you salute the rank, not the man (or in Obama's case lack thereof).

I thought that was the case. I should have asked I guess

aboutime
06-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Saluting =/= bowing

Saluting is a sign of respect taught to all members of military around the World. And, it's also much easier than SHAKING HANDS, or FIST BUMPING!

Honestly....NO BIG DEAL. Everything Trump does, says, thinks, or looks like crosseyed is FROM THE FAKE NEWS IDIOTS.

Gunny
06-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Saluting is a sign of respect taught to all members of military around the World. And, it's also much easier than SHAKING HANDS, or FIST BUMPING!

Honestly....NO BIG DEAL. Everything Trump does, says, thinks, or looks like crosseyed is FROM THE FAKE NEWS IDIOTS.I vaguely remember it being mentioned about Reagan. Was no big deal. Think it was my LT at the time.

I DO remember the left making an issue of it on USMB when GWB did it. It always started the fraud debate about his TXANG time. I don't recall that Clinton or King Barry did or didn't do it. If they did, it apparently wasn't an issue.

Side note: Funny thing about GWB's service in the Guard. I'm listening to all these left weenies on USMB talking about this and that and he couldn't have flown F-102s in 68 :blah:

I was like, really? I DISTINCTLY remember sitting in the cockpit of (then) Cpt Ron Demijohn's 102 Delta Dart at NAS Key West on a Cub Scout field trip in 1968. And I was a militant little Air Force brat and I knew my damned planes.

That of course was one of those factoids that never got responded to :)

aboutime
06-14-2018, 08:41 PM
I vaguely remember it being mentioned about Reagan. Was no big deal. Think it was my LT at the time.

I DO remember the left making an issue of it on USMB when GWB did it. It always started the fraud debate about his TXANG time. I don't recall that Clinton or King Barry did or didn't do it. If they did, it apparently wasn't an issue.

Side note: Funny thing about GWB's service in the Guard. I'm listening to all these left weenies on USMB talking about this and that and he couldn't have flown F-102s in 68 :blah:

I was like, really? I DISTINCTLY remember sitting in the cockpit of (then) Cpt Ron Demijohn's 102 Delta Dart at NAS Key West on a Cub Scout field trip in 1968. And I was a militant little Air Force brat and I knew my damned planes.

That of course was one of those factoids that never got responded to :)
But, he did fly the 102. He admitted he never went to NAM. And that's what the Democrat Liars/Pretenders kept harping on. But photo's speak louder than words...before PAINTSHOP.
http://www.456fis.org/THE%20F-102/bush.jpg