PDA

View Full Version : Antwon Rose shooting

jimnyc
06-26-2018, 09:03 PM
A 17 year old kid. There was even a gun in the car. They also ended up finding a clip or whatever in his pocket. But they weren't together. And the kids back were to the officer. And he never said a thing, like "stop" or "I'm gonna shoot". The kids ran and then boom. I mean, perhaps there is more to the story - but there is video of him shooting the kid in the back. I think he is guilty as sin, which is rare for me at this stage of an investigation. And if all is correct, he needs to rot in a cell for life. The kid may have been no angel but he didn't deserve to die for turning his back and running.

According to a SC ruling mentioned in the following article, a cop can shoot someone that may be a danger to the community. But without knowing for sure? And in the back? Nah, I don't like this one at all.

New details emerging in deadly police shooting of Antwon Rose

PITTSBURGH -- Protesters stopped traffic tonight in Pittsburgh. They've been marching in the streets this week over the fatal police shooting of 17-year-old Antwon Rose.

Now, more details surrounding the controversial shooting Tuesday night are starting to emerge. We know the 30-year-old officer's name, Michael Rosfeld. He was previously an officer in other departments before joining the East Pittsburgh department. He was sworn in less than two hours before the deadly encounter.

It all started when Rose jumped out of a silver Chevrolet that was suspected of being used in a drive-by shooting. Thirteen minutes later, Rose was shot three times by Rosfeld and later died.

On Friday, the district attorney confirmed Rose was unarmed but did have an empty 9-millimeter handgun clip in his pocket, and two handguns were found in the car.

Rosfeld's attorney, Patrick Thomassey, said his client is "depressed and feels bad about what happened and that it was his first time ever firing his weapon as a police officer."

"He just ran -- running is not a death sentence," said one witness.

The video has sparked days of protests, many calling the shooting unjustified.

A three decade-old Supreme Court ruling does justify shooting a fleeing suspect if "the officer reasonably believes that the individual poses a significant physical danger to the officer or others in the community."

Rest - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/antwon-rose-shooting-east-pittsburgh-michael-rosfeld-new-details-today-2018-06-22/

Gunny
06-26-2018, 10:16 PM
I agree with your assessment regarding the cop. I don't agree with protesters stopping traffic because of it. It isn't going to matter what the truth is at this point anyway. If the guy DID threaten the cop and/or the cop knew he was armed (not saying either is the case), the peeps are going to demand their pound of flesh.

Shooting a fleeing suspect you know to be armed (again, we don't know if the cop in this case knew that) is considered a threat to the community and you CAN use deadly force to stop them in a lot of places.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-27-2018, 09:55 AM
This is the second time we've seen a cop shoot someone in the back just for running away. This is completely unacceptable. The cop should be thrown in jail for life. There's no more cowardly thing to do than to shoot someone, presumably unarmed, in the BACK.

I've made it known I'm no big fan of the cops either. I've had my run ins with them and been treated like dirt. A neighbor Marine with PTSD, a Desert Storm vet, late one night here about 3 years ago was liquored up and shot up the flag poles at the USMV MC club house just on the other side of my property, and even though I was the one that called the cops because I heard what I thought was gun shots, three cops zeroed in on me and gave me the third degree because they thought they had their man, until I told them the USMV MC club house was RIGHT THERE, and pointed to it in that direction, they decided they'd all amble on over there and check it out. Well they found him sitting in there with the pistol laying right in front of him on the bar, and he admitted he did the shooting. You think even one of the cops would come back over here and tell me they found the person responsible and apologize to me? No, and that's only one time I've had a bad time with cops even though I didn't deserve it.

Yes the cops have a tough job, but if they can't take the pressure and it effects the way they do the job, then they need to find a different line of work.