PDA

View Full Version : Harley-Davidson

Abbey Marie
06-27-2018, 09:53 AM
Any comments on their moving (some) production out of the country? Or Trump’s response?
High_Plains_Drifter

pete311
06-27-2018, 10:04 AM
I live in Milwaukee. I have friends who work for Harley. It's everyone's fault but Trumps. *sarcastic

High_Plains_Drifter
06-27-2018, 10:12 AM
I think it's going to effect their sales for sure. Harley owners have been a faithful bunch in large part because they've been "made in America." They are a niche motorcycle, and if they're going to build them overseas, people are going to turn on them... at least the purists will. Can't speak for the younger buyers but, still, I don't think they'll hold up the company. Hard to predict though.

I'm an avid fan of Bowers and Wilkins speakers, and I bought my front center and L/R B&W even though I know the new ones of the models I have are made in China. They're still manufactured under extremely strict B&W quality control.

I don't really like what Trump said about Harley on twitter though either. I saw it. I think he should have talked with Harley in private, but then he didn't with Ford either, and many other things. Yes there are lots of little things president Trump does that I'm not 100% on board with, no one is perfect, least of all me, but that doesn't change my mind at all that I believe he loves America is looking out for our nations best interests. I'm sure he'd love to see Harley stay here and wait things out awhile. There was just an article I posted here about a steel company going to build a new plant. Harley could wait.

FakeNewsSux
06-27-2018, 10:12 AM
I live in Milwaukee.

Well that certainly explains a lot.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-27-2018, 10:14 AM
I live in Milwaukee. I have friends who work for Harley. It's everyone's fault but Trumps. *sarcastic
I live about 150 miles straight west of Milwaukee, and I'm retired Master Harley Davidson Technician. I don't see it that way at all, even though I know you put *sarcastic in there. I'm speaking from both a Harley Davidson employee's perspective, and a buyer.

FakeNewsSux
06-27-2018, 12:15 PM
I agree HPD. I think Harley just needs to cool their jets and see how this all shakes out. Even Harley admits that it would take a year to retool their existing overseas production facilities to gear up to serve the European market. All of the current mess could and probably will be cleared up by then. For a company that was saved from extinction by federal government trade protection, they seem awfully quick to pull the trigger on sending production overseas. I wonder how such a move would play with the bulk of their customers, the 'all American' buyers in their largest market, the United States.