PDA

View Full Version : US traffic Enforcement is awful

darin
06-28-2018, 02:07 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/06/27/speeder-caught-driving-120-mph-in-construction-asks-for-warning-gets-something-much-worse.html

Driver arrested: faces a maximum sentence of 365 days in jail and $5,000 in fines if convicted on the charges.

Big f'in Deal. 120mph. Under the right context that speed is never ever a problem. Speed has never killed anyone nor has it caused any accidents. But - Americans keep voting-in politicians who refuse to fix the nation's/state's speed/traffic regulations. Maybe the voters keep wanting people to Die via terrible standards for driver behavior and skill? Maybe it's ALL about the dollars - Taxation via Citation.

USA - STOP wasting money to collect money based on outdated speed and in-efficient traffic laws.

High_Plains_Drifter
06-28-2018, 02:23 AM
Yeah I remember way back when, when cars were huge, heavy, lumbering things with terrible handling and bad brakes, and the speed limit was 65mph. Then came the gas crunch and the geniuses figured that "jack rabbit starts" on these old lumber wagons with carburetors would save gas if no one went over 55mph so they lowered it. Well that was a long, long time ago. Cars now get much better gas mileage with fuel injection and it doesn't make any difference at all if you jack rabbit start or drive 55 or 65, but I'll be danged if we still have to drive 55. I honestly think it's just a cash cow to hand out tickets and it keeps the cops flush with money.

I was pleasantly surprised to see most states interstate speed limits are 80mph though, and I didn't see one accident on a 3,000 mile round trip to Montana and back, and Montana has a 70mph speed limit for highways. Wisconsin just sucks sticking with 55, but I have heard grumblings to change it. I wish they would. I don't even need 6th gear in the Camaro at 55.

darin
06-28-2018, 02:31 AM
I drove 40 minutes at 130mph last weekend. (shrug). Once or twice held the wheel with my knee as I reached for something in the car.

FakeNewsSux
06-28-2018, 02:43 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/auto/2018/06/27/speeder-caught-driving-120-mph-in-construction-asks-for-warning-gets-something-much-worse.html

Driver arrested: faces a maximum sentence of 365 days in jail and $5,000 in fines if convicted on the charges.

Big f'in Deal. 120mph. Under the right context that speed is never ever a problem. Speed has never killed anyone nor has it caused any accidents. But - Americans keep voting-in politicians who refuse to fix the nation's/state's speed/traffic regulations. Maybe the voters keep wanting people to Die via terrible standards for driver behavior and skill? Maybe it's ALL about the dollars - Taxation via Citation.

USA - STOP wasting money to collect money based on outdated speed and in-efficient traffic laws.

I agree, darin. I drive through Indiana whenever I drive back to Wisconsin and they have a nasty habit of leaving construction zone signs up for years after construction is complete just to cash in on speeding tickets. I usually set the cruise control between 80-85 and goose the speed up from there. Haven't had any problems for years.

A good spot for letting it all hang out is I-75 on the Kentucky/Tennessee border. Four lanes for trucks rolling through the foothills, little traffic, long line of sight. Have had my Audi A4 up to 120 on that stretch of wide smooth road!

FakeNewsSux
06-28-2018, 02:55 AM
Yeah I remember way back when, when cars were huge, heavy, lumbering things with terrible handling and bad brakes, and the speed limit was 65mph. Then came the gas crunch and the geniuses figured that "jack rabbit starts" on these old lumber wagons with carburetors would save gas if no one went over 55mph so they lowered it. Well that was a long, long time ago. Cars now get much better gas mileage with fuel injection and it doesn't make any difference at all if you jack rabbit start or drive 55 or 65, but I'll be danged if we still have to drive 55. I honestly think it's just a cash cow to hand out tickets and it keeps the cops flush with money.

I was pleasantly surprised to see most states interstate speed limits are 80mph though, and I didn't see one accident on a 3,000 mile round trip to Montana and back, and Montana has a 70mph speed limit for highways. Wisconsin just sucks sticking with 55, but I have heard grumblings to change it. I wish they would. I don't even need 6th gear in the Camaro at 55.

I'm not sure I would want to drive much over 80 on Wisconsin's roads. The winters really chew those roads up. Down here in Atlanta, the average speed in the left lane on I-285 is 80 and the cops don't even look over at you as you pass them. Most folks understand this and therefore Autobahn rules generally apply. Most people are aware of faster traffic coming up on them and merge right to let them pass.

darin
06-28-2018, 03:31 AM
I agree, darin. I drive through Indiana whenever I drive back to Wisconsin and they have a nasty habit of leaving construction zone signs up for years after construction is complete just to cash in on speeding tickets. I usually set the cruise control between 80-85 and goose the speed up from there. Haven't had any problems for years.

A good spot for letting it all hang out is I-75 on the Kentucky/Tennessee border. Four lanes for trucks rolling through the foothills, little traffic, long line of sight. Have had my Audi A4 up to 120 on that stretch of wide smooth road!

Every spot with 70+ Speed limits should have no enforceable limit. Driving in the left lane without passing should be license-revoking offense. Would let that A4 see 120mph every day if you wanted.

Black Diamond
06-28-2018, 08:49 AM
Every spot with 70+ Speed limits should have no enforceable limit. Driving in the left lane without passing should be license-revoking offense. Would let that A4 see 120mph every day if you wanted.
You must be from Seattle. :)

darin
06-28-2018, 09:00 AM
You must be from Seattle. :)

Renton. But yeah. :)

Gunny
06-28-2018, 11:25 AM

USA - STOP wasting money to collect money based on outdated speed and in-efficient traffic laws.Of course it's about revenue for the State. Half if not more of our laws are. Try living in Texas where we have no State tax. They're just waiting for you to do one over the limit.

I got a no seat belt ticket because I dared have the truck moving while I was putting it on. Was just "my turn" on Bandera Rd (SH16). Troopers troll it looking for an excuse. They love I-17 from San Antonio to Corpus Christi too. Want to go the Coast (beach)? Best not speed doing it. ESPECIALLY with out-of-state tags.

jimnyc
06-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Come visit me here in NY!

The highways are of course all 55 mph still. Get off the highway, like in my snobby area, and everything drops to either 25 or 30mph, and you better damn well know which one - as these bastards will yank you over, no warning and give a fat ticket - if you are 2 mph or more over.

And red lights, rarely are you ever allowed to turn right on red. And in the rare places you can, you better know for sure!! As that ticket is also fat! A seat belt ticket in my town is $115

aboutime
06-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Pragmatically....if anyone travels on any Interstate, anywhere in this country. With the growing number of drivers/vehicles on the road, sometimes in as many as SIX lanes in each Direction.

Honestly? There simply aren't enough Cops to handle the volume of huge numbers, especially around the Morning, and Evening RUSH HOURS.

Has anyone every experienced the BELTWAY around Washington D.C.?

Today...with all of the PEP BOY issued phoney illegal licenses issued to drivers with no insurance. It's a wonder anyone gets safely from POINT A to POINT B, and back without DYING.

darin
06-29-2018, 01:33 AM
Pragmatically....if anyone travels on any Interstate, anywhere in this country. With the growing number of drivers/vehicles on the road, sometimes in as many as SIX lanes in each Direction.

Honestly? There simply aren't enough Cops to handle the volume of huge numbers, especially around the Morning, and Evening RUSH HOURS.

Has anyone every experienced the BELTWAY around Washington D.C.?

Today...with all of the PEP BOY issued phoney illegal licenses issued to drivers with no insurance. It's a wonder anyone gets safely from POINT A to POINT B, and back without DYING.

There are too many cops. Too much regulation. Would be a pretty easy fix.

Start aggressive campaign to teach drivers to be aware, and courteous. Billboards, citations, commercials. Like how the Liberal Mass media deep-throats anything Obama says or does, have them put that much energy into awareness campaigns.

Next, For one year outlaw Brake lights and turn signals. After the initial carnage of mouth-breathers, people would learn to actually watch the vehicles around them; learn to anticipate and be aware. Then make left-lane-camping a $1000 fine or mandatory license revocation.

Then eliminate speed limits along the routes between metropolitan areas; adopt probably 85% of German traffic laws.

Watch our numbers of yearly fatalities drop; Watch commute times drop; watch a more-efficient safer society.

FakeNewsSux
06-30-2018, 01:34 PM
...Then eliminate speed limits along the routes between metropolitan areas; adopt probably 85% of German traffic laws.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/06/porsche-shatters-the-nurburgring-record-we-thought-was-unbreakable/