PDA

View Full Version : Grammar

Elessar
07-01-2018, 11:47 AM
An interesting take on misuse of common phrases:

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/commonly-misused-phrases-that-will-make-you-sound-unprofessional-1923fda75f53419d?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=tab&utm_campaign=misusedphrases-d004ddd88df87e70&utm_term=thn-redstate

They hit on "Should of" vs "Should've - Should have" - one misuse that makes my teeth grind.
One can substitute Would or Could for Should, too.

Another that gets me is just one word - "Signage". Since when is the simple "Signs" no good? Just
trying to sound fancy by using "Signage"?:laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
07-01-2018, 12:09 PM
How about people that say "seen" when they should say "saw?" - I was standing over here and "seen" him do it.
Or "them" when they should say "those?" - "Them" are the wrong ones.
Or "then" when they should say "than." - I'd rather go today "then" tomorrow.

People... you'd think they should have all flunked grammar.

Gunny
07-01-2018, 12:24 PM
An interesting take on misuse of common phrases:

https://www.workandmoney.com/s/commonly-misused-phrases-that-will-make-you-sound-unprofessional-1923fda75f53419d?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=tab&utm_campaign=misusedphrases-d004ddd88df87e70&utm_term=thn-redstate

They hit on "Should of" vs "Should've - Should have" - one misuse that makes my teeth grind.
One can substitute Would or Could for Should, too.

Another that gets me is just one word - "Signage". Since when is the simple "Signs" no good? Just
trying to sound fancy by using "Signage"?:laugh:

"Therefore because" ... chaps my ass every time I hear some overpaid person who allegedly went to school for journalism use it on the news/news shows. I guess they tossed the "you had to be in Honor's English to be in journalism" rule out of HS.

"Irregardless" is another. The word is "regardless".

High_Plains_Drifter
07-01-2018, 12:31 PM
... "at the end of the day"... :gives:

Gunny
07-01-2018, 12:40 PM
... "at the end of the day"... :gives:Yeah ... I prefer "the bottom line is .... ":laugh2:

Elessar
07-01-2018, 04:25 PM
One of out members, who has not been around much, told me that when she was doing
her student teaching in Anahiem CA she overheard a conversation between two students
in the hall and proceeded to correct their poor grammar...'Middle' or High School I cannot
recall which.

A tenured teacher pulled her aside and admonished her, saying that teachers do not
correct a student's grammar because It Hurts Their Self-Esteem!

I am figuring WTF? Does that mean you cannot correct a kid who insists 2 + 2 = 5?

Old ridge Runner
07-01-2018, 04:32 PM
Mt pet peeve is "you know". I was walking down the street and aw this car hit a telephone pole, you know? No, I don't know, I didn't see it.

Elessar
07-01-2018, 05:51 PM
Mt pet peeve is "you know". I was walking down the street and aw this car hit a telephone pole, you know? No, I don't know, I didn't see it.

Oh, I get really tired of hearing "you know" in virtually every sentence
when someone is being interviewed on tape/film, etc.

High_Plains_Drifter
07-01-2018, 06:32 PM
One of out members, who has not been around much, told me that when she was doing
her student teaching in Anahiem CA she overheard a conversation between two students
in the hall and proceeded to correct their poor grammar...'Middle' or High School I cannot
recall which.

A tenured teacher pulled her aside and admonished her, saying that teachers do not
correct a student's grammar because It Hurts Their Self-Esteem!

I am figuring WTF? Does that mean you cannot correct a kid who insists 2 + 2 = 5?
That's insane... :cuckoo:

Course we haven't even touched on the kids that say.... "LIKE."

Ya like, you like, know like, what like, I'm like, saying.... like?

Gunny
07-01-2018, 06:45 PM
S'up? Knowutmsayn?

aboutime
07-01-2018, 07:26 PM
Let Me AX you one question? Here me? And...don't forget..."Basically...."

SassyLady
07-02-2018, 01:12 AM
"These ones".

darin
07-02-2018, 03:51 AM
I take issue with slide 7 insofar as they aren't right when talking about irregardless. Irregardless is a more-emphatic 'regardless'.

It's use is best like this:

Kid: "I want to go to the movies, and I have enough money"

Parent: "regardless, you have not finished your homework"

Kid: "but my homework is easy! I can do it later"

Parent: "Irregardless, you are not allowed to go to the movies until your homework is finished."

Or

Grown Infant: "Donald Trump is NOT my president!"

Grown Adult: "regardless of your feelings, if you are an American he is your president"

Grown Infant: "But I would never vote for him!"

Grown Adult: "Irregardless - he is still your president"

I have a couple language pet peeves:

The word "That" and especially "So that".

For example:

"She said that she went to the store"

No. No. No.

"She said she went to the store."

And

"We have to take the van instead of the car so that we can fit everyone in (my ex sure has no problem fitting everyone in, that dirty dirty whore)"

WRONG.

"We have to take the van instead of the car so we can fit everyone in"

Etc.

See also: "In order to..."

I also detest "Same exact" because "same" and "exact" mean the same-exact thing.

"She said the same exact thing!"

No.

This is right: "She said the same thing."

"We found gravity affects both objects the same exact way!"

Wrong, stupid.

"We found gravity affects both objects the same way!"

Gunny
07-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Race:

There is no such damned thing as the human race. Homo is the genus and sapien is the species. There are 3 (three -- count them) races of homo sapein: Mongoloid, negroid and caucasoid.

EVERY DAMNED THING ELSE either an ethnicity, religion or just contrived by the media.

Jews are NOT a race. Muslims are NOT a race. They are religions. People are not racists for denigrating either. Both Arabs AND Israeli's are semites, an ethnicity, not a race.

And yes, it IS a pet peeve to hear so-called educated, intelligent people talk out their asses when all they immediately prove to me is they are too ignorant to be talking.

Elessar
07-03-2018, 10:07 AM
Race:

There is no such damned thing as the human race. Homo is the genus and sapien is the species. There are 3 (three -- count them) races of homo sapein: Mongoloid, negroid and caucasoid.

EVERY DAMNED THING ELSE either an ethnicity, religion or just contrived by the media.

Jews are NOT a race. Muslims are NOT a race. They are religions. People are not racists for denigrating either. Both Arabs AND Israeli's are semites, an ethnicity, not a race.

And yes, it IS a pet peeve to hear so-called educated, intelligent people talk out their asses when all they immediately prove to me is they are too ignorant to be talking.

That sums it up simply and accurately.

I, too, get tired of the word or term "RACIST' being tossed into a verbal exchange - especially when
the one tossing it has no other valid argument.